Bucky Brooks’ Top 5 Draft Prospects by position

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

The draft is stacked with blue chip DTs and we don't have a difference-maker at the position that can sack the QB. Confused as to how you don't see this as a need.  

I see it as a need but not one I think they address with the 9th pick.  I think helping Allen is the most critical thing we do and if I do anything outside of that - it's DE.  That's just my opinion.   I don't hate the idea of a DT and it would have to be one that gets sacks/pressure in the pass game.  

• Like (+1) 2

At #9 you take a guy you hope will be a Pro Bowler for years, not a slightly above average player. I don’t care where the need appears to be. The fact is we need another DT, and I want to win the LOS on both sides of the ball. If we were desperate for DT and had a pretty good OLine, I’d still take the OT if he was clearly the better player. Reaching for position is how we got EJ.   :doh: 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

At #9 you take a guy you hope will be a Pro Bowler for years, not a slightly above average player. I don’t care where the need appears to be. The fact is we need another DT, and I want to win the LOS on both sides of the ball. If we were desperate for DT and had a pretty good OLine, I’d still take the OT if he was clearly the better player. Reaching for position is how we got EJ.   :doh: 

I don't think EJ was a "reach" as I think it was just more a stupid move as Whaley and his staff weren't very good at judging offensive talent.  2014 Two firsts for Sammy when OBjr was sitting there... 

The Bills traded up to the #4 spot and passed on Khalil Mack, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans and I still recall the Bills FO stating that they needed a big, tall red zone target right after they drafted Watkins, Mike Evans says hello!  Look back that 2014 NFL draft and they could have stayed put at #9 and still drafted 12 players better than Watkins in the first round.

There was a real reason Doug Whaley and his entire scouting staff were all fired after the 2017 draft. 

Look at that 2017 by McD with #1 Tre White, #2 Zay Jones, #2 Dion Dawkins, #5 Matt Milano. 

Then with Beane running the show in 2018 #1 Josh Allen, #1 Tremaine Edmunds, #3 Harrison Phillips with free agents Robert Foster, Levi Wallace. That's like four first round picks!

I think they stole Josh Allen with teams bothered by his tweets from HS being released by some unknown source before the draft (Bills) :P

How can Bills fans not be excited about the 2019 Buffalo Bills having 10 picks in the upcoming draft? Plus free agency and free agent walk-ons. I'm hoping that the 2019 Buffalo Bills offensive line looks so much better. 

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I don't think EJ was a "reach" as I think it was just more a stupid move as Whaley and his staff weren't very good at judging offensive talent.  2014 Two firsts for Sammy when OBjr was sitting there... 

The Bills traded up to the #4 spot and passed on Khalil Mack, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans and I still recall the Bills FO stating that they needed a big, tall red zone target right after they drafted Watkins, Mike Evans says hello!  Look back that 2014 NFL draft and they could have stayed put at #9 and still drafted 12 players better than Watkins in the first round.

There was a real reason Doug Whaley and his entire scouting staff were all fired after the 2017 draft. 

Look at that 2017 by McD with #1 Tre White, #2 Zay Jones, #2 Dion Dawkins, #5 Matt Milano. 

Then with Beane running the show in 2018 #1 Josh Allen, #1 Tremaine Edmunds, #3 Harrison Phillips with free agents Robert Foster, Levi Wallace. That's like four first round picks!

I think they stole Josh Allen with teams bothered by his tweets from HS being released by some unknown source before the draft (Bills) :P

How can Bills fans not be excited about the 2019 Buffalo Bills having 10 picks in the upcoming draft? Plus free agency and free agent walk-ons. I'm hoping that the 2019 Buffalo Bills offensive line looks so much better. 

I don’t really like playing the 20/20 draft hindsight game, but I too am excited about the future. My only point was I’d prefer taking an A+ player rather than a B+ player at #9, regardless of need (unless it’s a QB, then you have a whole new set of rules and might get a kings ransom for the pick). Heck, just our UDFA’s from last year might turn out to give us a couple core players! 

1 hour ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I see quite a few very good DT's on that list and a large number of good/not elite edge rushers.

I'm not disputing the overall premise that the Bills as a whole need to be more offensive minded. I'm singing out edge pass rusher, the most important defensive position, as an area where they have not been great. As far as allocation of resources, they drafted Erik Flowers and Aaron Maybin in the first round in the HOPE that they'd be elite pass rushers. They failed. That doesn't change the fact that the defense has rarely been GREAT over the years and I attribute that to a lack of a truly elite pass rusher. It's especially important when you're facing the top flight QB's. Best way to beat em is to be in their face all day.

Let's say they had drafted 6 first round QB's over that time frame, yet they all failed. That wouldn't change the importance of the position. It would just mean that they had horridly allocated the resources.

What's crazy to me is the outright ineptitude of past regimes in free agents, drafts. Jauron needed a top LBer to run his Tampa two defense. He had Fletcher, Crowell, Spikes in his first year and that went downhill after that even though they drafted Paul Posluszny who only played in 3 games that year. Poz was there but the rest stunk and ole Dickie never did get his defense up to par. 

Buddy Nix came in and while the O line was desperate for an LT they drafted an RB they really had no need for at all. Look at those drafts by Nix and so many failed picks.

2010, 9 picks, one decent player. Spiller #1 pick

2011, 9 picks, one very good player @#3 overall Dareus.

2012, 9 picks, two good players in Gilmore, Glenn #1 & #2 

2013, 8 picks, two good players in Woods, Alonso both #2 picks

Doug Whaley wasn't any better as most of his picks are long gone. 

• Like (+1) 1