Top Offensive (skill positions) and Defensive UFAs

YoloinOhio

On 2/7/2019 at 8:21 PM, dneveu said:

After the Bell situation - I think it will either be a major point of contention in the next CBA.  They'll either argue that it needs to be done away with entirely, or they need to drastically change the way that it works.  Players with non-guaranteed deals like this want guaranteed money, and more years.  1 year deal's that lock them with a team is really damaging to the players

It's hard to think of a way to do this without having all players be almost RFAs after their rookie contract - thus allowing offer sheets, but also giving a team ability to match and some control when trading.  The tag doesn't allow anyone to offer sheet a player and get them the extension at the value that they feel they deserve, the franchise has all of the leverage because they have a tag in their back pocket.  Multiple first round picks seems a tad excessive since there aren't as many rounds in a draft, there's a limited pool of players in the NCAA, and with a cap like this there is a lot of parity in the league.  At the same time, you have to get something if you're losing a player who you drafted high, and don't have cap space or something to extend. 

So I think figuring out an appropriate compensation strategy would be pretty important.  Maybe open it up to sign and trade deals (allowing agents some freedom to negotiate with other teams like a RFA), therefore the franchise gets contact from interested teams who have worked out a a contract with the agent.  They can then work with that team on a trade - bring in a an established piece (or package of players) and a pick (or multiple picks) - while the other team gets the tagged player at the deal that they negotiated with his agent.  Another option is maybe a sliding scale of tag amounts with sliding compensation for offer sheets, different from the RFA ones.  

The tag should be off the table unless the player is coming off of a rookie contract.  Rookie contracts are capped, so they will want to maximize their income outside of that contract the first chance they get - they shouldn't be limited in doing so. 

As for other established players, they should be able to have more power to choose their destination.  This probably causes more problems, but also limits the franchises ability to force players into unfavorable deals, and penalize them for not signing them.

Let the NBA have those problems with not having the franchise tag. It's ruining there sport because u got players joining forces and creating superteams.

I believe they should just add another tag for 1 first rd pk in compensation.  U will see tons of teams using this tag . But for a small market franchise like the Bills I love the franchise tag. God forbid Allen becomes a beast and because there's no tag he just walks away from the team that developed him so some big market team can reap the benefits.  We are already playing in a uneven playing field let's not let this sport become like the NBA where u got Shaq , Tracy McGrady and Penny walking out the door as soon as they get a chance. 

On 3/1/2019 at 7:15 PM, DCOrange said:

I know he's not the most popular FA target around here, but seems like his price might end up being lower than anyone expected after a poor end of the year and given his age, generally solid level of play each year (been graded around the #50ish WR in the league each of his 4 years by PFF), and McBeane's familiarity with him, seems like he's a guy we should continue to keep an eye out for.

Granted we may have seen the beginning of a shift towards preferring speed WRs over big targets, but it could have also simply been that we recognized Benjamin sucks and that Foster/McKenzie were worth taking a chance on.

At any rate, the article here mentions that Carolina declined to make any sort of extension offer to Funchess so he will be hitting the open market.

He is what he is a JAG . Just because he's a cheap JAG that's young should that make a difference? Funchess doesn't even play big I've never seen him high pt anything on NFL level other then 1 time.  I rather give someone else a chance because although this jag saves us money he takes someone else off the field that can develop more . We don't need JAGs we need potential difference makers that offer different skill sets. Although Funchess is big in size he doesn't play like it so no thanks. 

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love Za'Darius he plays a physical gm like his hair on fire he's very twitchy and gets to the QB . I wonder if he can play the Lorex role in this defense 

Buffalo needs to go oline and defensive front 7 in FA.  Imo better value for your money.  In the draft you can get better skill players.  Imo there is not a Wr worth 5 mil a year let alone 12 to 10 they are projecting.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Buffalo needs to go oline and defensive front 7 in FA.  Imo better value for your money.  In the draft you can get better skill players.  Imo there is not a Wr worth 5 mil a year let alone 12 to 10 they are projecting.

At least for now the Bills need to really understand the value of this for us. We won't get top talent offensive skill set players why 

#1 there not ever available in free agency 

#2 if they were available they won't come here unless u give them QB money.  Lol.