Delay's Hypocricy Sickens Me

Delay was one of the architechs of the blatently unconstitutional congressional intervention in the Schiavo affair. Delay and the republican leadership saw that there was right-wing fundementalist christian morals to pander to. Yet, Delay, when faced with the exact same decision in his personal life, did not fight to keep his own father alive as he fought to keep Ms. Shiavo alive.

What is more important to Delay - life or votes?

Delay's Real Life Decision

It is absolutely not the "exact same situation" because Terri Shiavo doesn't need dialysis or any help breathing. She only needs food and water.

Also, I don't see how this can possibly be about votes when most Americans seem to be against the movement to keep her alive (though there really isn't enough information out there for anyone to feel too strongly either way, and certainly a lot of misinformation available).

It's about the votes because it is about exciting the religious-right. Working them into a frenzy, which results in mass voter turnout.

That is what that whole gay-marraige B.S. was about. It was not a coincidence that many of the swing states had "gay-marraige" initiatives on their ballots.

Gay marriage wasn't really much of an issue until its proponents made it so. They ended up shooting themselves in the foot.

As for voter turnout, is anyone going to remember this the next time we have an election? Seriously, that's enough time for two more Laci Peterson's, another three Robert Blake's, and maybe enough for Michael Jackson to touch more kids, further deform his face, and act crazy on the way to court. Oh, and maybe Paris Hilton will do something too.

The 24 hour news cycle will erase any memories of Terri Shiavo long before we have any major elections.

It's about the votes because it is about exciting the religious-right. Working them into a frenzy, which results in mass voter turnout.

That is what that whole gay-marraige B.S. was about. It was not a coincidence that many of the swing states had "gay-marraige" initiatives on their ballots.

289279[/snapback]

Why do people always refer to the religious right as if its a bunch of idiots who can't think for themselves, and can be easily manipulated. They are as smart as anyone, and quite capable of thinking for themselves.

Gay marriage wasn't really much of an issue until its proponents made it so. They ended up shooting themselves in the foot.

As for voter turnout, is anyone going to remember this the next time we have an election?  Seriously, that's enough time for two more Laci Peterson's, another three Robert Blake's, and maybe enough for Michael Jackson to touch more kids, further deform his face, and act crazy on the way to court.  Oh, and maybe Paris Hilton will do something too.

The 24 hour news cycle will erase any memories of Terri Shiavo long before we have any major elections.

289291[/snapback]

They will remember because two things will happen:

1) On all campaign literature to the religious-right will be an obvious reminder about how they support life - a la Shaivo

2) Watch for legislative actions or ballot initiatives (which take time) on the issue of "right to life" as it pertains to death-bed cases.

Why do people always refer to the religious right as if its a bunch of idiots who can't think for themselves, and can be easily manipulated. They are as smart as anyone, and quite capable of thinking for themselves.

289294[/snapback]

It's not about being "easily manipulated." It is about grassroots organizing. As a community activist, as much as I loath the religious right's politics, those responsible for organizing the religous right, are VERY good organizers. They know how to grow and use their "mobiliation capacity." It is unfortunatly impressive.

You all may want to read "What's the Matter with Kansas?" if you haven't. It is on point to the topic.

Regarding DeLay, of course he's a hypcrite. He purports to be a proponent of "erring on the side of life" unless we're talking about death penalty cases, children who are homeless or starving or without medical care on the streets of American cities. Etc.

He knows the religious right can boot his butt out of Congress. THAT is really all you need to know about DeLay and his motivation.

289294[/snapback]

Because they are. They accept as fact a gathering of parables written by some old men thousands of years ago when all sorts of untruths were accepted as fact. Sound a little silly to you? Then to make matters worse, they want to control everyone else who may just think their "beliefs" are just a tad outdated and oppressive. So excuse me if I use someone's behavior as an indication of their simple mindedness. I can't describe as "smart" someone who thinks everyone else must subscribe to their religion. :blink:

You all may want to read "What's the Matter with Kansas?" if you haven't.  It is on point to the topic.

Regarding DeLay, of course he's a hypcrite.  He purports to be a proponent of "erring on the side of life" unless we're talking about death penalty cases, children who are homeless or starving or without medical care on the streets of American cities.  Etc.

He knows the religious right can boot his butt out of Congress. THAT is really all you need to know about DeLay and his motivation.

289334[/snapback]

Like I said...he's a whore. Even more so than most politicians.

Because they are. They accept as fact a gathering of parables written by some old men thousands of years ago when all sorts of untruths were accepted as fact. Sound a little silly to you? Then to make matters worse, they want to control everyone else who may just think their "beliefs" are just a tad outdated and oppressive. So excuse me if I use someone's behavior as an indication of their simple mindedness. I can't describe as "smart" someone who thinks everyone else must subscribe to their religion.  :blink:

289348[/snapback]

Boat, I think you and I agree on something finally. Oh, that and Buffet music... :)

Because they are. They accept as fact a gathering of parables written by some old men thousands of years ago when all sorts of untruths were accepted as fact. Sound a little silly to you? Then to make matters worse, they want to control everyone else who may just think their "beliefs" are just a tad outdated and oppressive. So excuse me if I use someone's behavior as an indication of their simple mindedness. I can't describe as "smart" someone who thinks everyone else must subscribe to their religion.  :blink:

289348[/snapback]

Weren't you the guy railing against all those negative union stereotypes one thread over?

Delay's a dimwit. So transparent that if you attempt to look through him you'll be blinded by the harsh glare of his idiotic rhetoric. Attempting to lash back at him won't do any good because he'll just turn it around and do his wounded act, blaming the press, liberals and whomever else has successfully nailed his act as being less than altruistic.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/23/...ain682674.shtml

Both Catholics and Protestants think the tube should not be re-inserted now. Liberals and moderates both believe the tube should not be re-inserted; conservatives are more closely divided. Most Democrats and Republicans agree the tube should remain out at this point. A strong majority of Americans in every age group says the tube should not be re-inserted now.

Catholics and protestants (who you are likely refering to as the "religious right") are AGAINST reinserting the tube.

Explain that one...

The problems here are 2 fold.

1) It is In-humane to starve someone to death.

2) There are serious questions regarding terris medical situation.

And before you say she cant feel anything, explain to me why they have placed her on one of the strongest pain medications known to man, morphine?

When you are unsure of something, you have to err on the side of caution. And in this case it means letting her live. Let this serve as a lesson to all. Make a living will.

Oh, and yeah, delay is no friend of mine either. But you can not compare delays father, a man in a coma, who needs artificial help to breathe, to terri. I am not a doctor, but you dont need to be one to realize there is a world of difference here.

But regardless, delays position here is that you have to give the medical professionals a chance to accuratly form a diagnosis before you can kill someone. He had that chance with his father, unfortunatly terri is not getting that chance.

It is absolutely not the "exact same situation" because Terri Shiavo doesn't need dialysis or any help breathing.  She only needs food and water.

What's the difference? In both cases the individual cannot live without some intervention that without it, would lead to their death. It's not like you can put a plate of food in front of TS and expect her to eat. As I said in the other thread, removing the feeding tube is no different from turning off a ventilator or stopping dialysis.

What's the difference? In both cases the individual cannot live without some intervention that without it, would lead to their death. It's not like you can put a plate of food in front of TS and expect her to eat. As I said in the other thread, removing the feeding tube is no different from turning off a ventilator or stopping dialysis.

It is quite different. In once case the individual is (presumably) medically dead. In the other (TS), there is some doubt as to her conciousness. There is some doubt as to whether she can feel sensations such as hunger and pain. There is some doubt as to the cause of her condition. And yes, even some doubt as to whether she can recover.

This is an in-humane way to kill a human being. This is not your typical coma. This is not your typical person on a ventilator or dyalisis machine. This is a person who very well may be concious. At least thats what some doctors are saying. I am not a medical professional, and I suspect neither are you. When there is doubt we should err on the conservative side. This is an outrage this can happen in our country.