Foles/Wentz article with interesting general insights

On 1/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Expected a rehash of the Iggles potential Wentz/Foles dilemma in this article , but there are a number of good, general points.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009585/article/nick-foles-or-carson-wentz-eagles-face-big-offseason-decision

The author starts out comparing statistics and pointing out that while Wentz is the superior athlete, the Eagles have comparable stats and in some ways better with Foles at the helm.  Then they point out that "Doug Pederson definitely calls a different game with Foles, using a simplified playlist with a handful of base concepts, including mesh and shallow cross, to get his quarterback into a groove. He will repeat those same concepts from a variety of formations, but the reads and progressions are exactly the same" and even goes so far as to say "Pederson seemingly calls a better tactical game with Foles on the field."

Why?

"Wentz is by far the more talented player, but the offense operates better with the other guy on the field," a former NFL offensive assistant told me. "Foles plays within the system and the play-caller doesn't ask him to do as much when he is running the offense. ... When you have a more talented player at quarterback, you might ask him to do too much because you can see the potential. With a lesser player, you tend to be a little more balanced and lean on other aspects of the offense. That could be why the Eagles' offense looks different with the backup in."

OK work with me here:

#1 QB is supremely talented -> coach designs fantastic plays and schemes to exploit that talent -> team plays OK

#2 QB can play but is less overall talented -> coach simplifies the scheme and asks less of the QB -> QB plays faster and overall results better

I think there's a memo to many a coach there, including our own OC Mr Brian Daboll.

Yes because running a complex offense really hurt the careers of Brady, Manning and Brees.

E/P offense which is run in NE and Buf is the most complex there is and not just for the QB.  If you try to simplify it, I dont know that it would work.

Edited by formerlyofCtown