Why do the Pats* get an extra day of rest?

Vod Kanockers

Just looking at the current playoff schedule, and it occurred to me.. Why does the #2 seed from the AFC, have the same amount of rest as the #1 seed in the NFC? All things considered, shouldn’t both #1 seeds have the luxury of the extra day off? I was under the impression that Walt Coleman retired.. So, what gives? 

It has nothing to do with seeding. New England is a better draw (in terms of national following) than the Rams or KC. A Sunday slot is better than the Saturday slots (although the 8:15 PM Saturday slot is close to the 1 PM Sunday slot), so that is where they went, to make the NFL more money. This is the first time in many years New England has not played in the late Sunday slot, which is considered by the NFL the best viewing time, when the most people will watch.

Also, by playing Sunday in the divisional round, New England also gets possibly one day less rest for the AFC Championship Game if you look at it that way. I would prefer that since they get a bye anyway for Wild Card weekend and will get plenty of rest then.

Edited by from_dunkirk

3 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

Just looking at the current playoff schedule, and it occurred to me.. Why does the #2 seed from the AFC, have the same amount of rest as the #1 seed in the NFC? All things considered, shouldn’t both #1 seeds have the luxury of the extra day off? I was under the impression that Walt Coleman retired.. So, what gives? 

I haven’t been aware of rest days coming into effect for the last 45 or so years, time zones and set starting times usually rule.

Edited by row_33

In my recollection the Pats have mostly owned the Prime Time slot on Saturday for the Brady Era, a few times played in bad Eastern night weather 

A quick review for the 14 division weekend games for them 2001-2017 has 8 Saturday Prime, 4 Sunday second game and 2 first games on Saturday.

Edited by row_33
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

In my recollection the Pats have mostly owned the Prime Time slot on Saturday for the Brady Era, a few times played in bad Eastern night weather 

A quick review for the 14 division weekend games for them 2001-2017 has 8 Saturday Prime, 4 Sunday second game and 2 first games on Saturday.

^^ This . . .