NOVA Apollo's Daring Mission

TSNBDSC

Have not witnessed a Saturn V launch live, but I've crawled all over and checked out the Saturn V they have lying in a horizontal position, with stages separated, at Kennedy Space Center.  It's incredible.

The F1 engines are freaking enormous and, I believe, the most powerful manmade engines of any kind ever produced.

They make the Space Shuttle look like an original 24 bhp VW Beetle.

28 minutes ago, TSNBDSC said:

Check listing for other showings.

Great stuff.

Or_Watch_It_Here

BTW, has anyone witnessed a Saturn 5 Launch live ?

I lived in Ormond Beach during the sixties. About 100 miles from the space center.  We could see the rockets from our back yard but they were pretty high at that point.  If we went down to the beach it was more impressive.   A few minutes after the launch, the ground would shake for several seconds.  I remember the ground shook much more severely for Saturn V compared to other rockets. We were stupid to take it for granted and not make a bigger effort to get closer. 

I saw Apollo 17, the night launch, fro Titusville.

It was delayed a bit, but eventually launched.

Simply the most sensory thing I've ever seen, and that includes about 320 catapult launches from an aircraft carrier.

Before the noise hit you, the water rippled ferociously, and that was after the incredible light show started that lasted about three minutes.

Simply indescribable, though I remember my cheeks vibrating. 

I remember being speechless, along with my college freshmen friends.

• Thank you (+1) 1