I don't want THOSE people in my neighborhood Episode #673

It's a very real and reasonable concern.

We dealt with something similar in the town I used to live in, and ultimately moved away from, with the trail project, and the problems it brought with it, as one of the major reasons.

I had originally bought a property along the Cumberland/Lincoln border (two of the better zip codes to live in where I'm from).  The border is defined by the Blackstone River and the adjacent strips of  land on either side.

Rhode Island, as part of an elective infrastructure project, decided to build a bike path and hiking trail that runs the length of the Blackstone, connecting some of the worst slums of the state with a largely unpatrolled path cutting through the back yards of homeowners in affluent neighborhoods.

The predictable happened.  The homeless flooded in, crime spiked.  Drug use and drug deals were frequent.  Pristinely groomed yards would have beer cans, cigarette butts, and the occasional used needle strewn across.  And, of course, the tax burden to solve the problem fell on the towns.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

13 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

connecting some of the worst slums of the state with a largely unpatrolled cutting through the back yards of homeowners in affluent neighborhoods.

Sounds like some social engineering a-holes decided they'd 'improve' the slums by connecting them to civilized areas.  That always works.

In general, if it's just a bike/hike path (obviously allowing motorized vehicles changes the story) through similar communities that's not a problem.  From that picture, it seems like there would still be a reasonable tree line on either side of the path blocking views to those houses.

In Clarence, people buy near the trail so they can easily enjoy it.  Akron-Amherst-Clarence_Newstead Bike Paths  

Clarence Pathways consist of two old rail lines connecting at Akron Junction. The Peanut Line Trail follows the rail bed of the former NY Central RR, dubbed the "Peanut Line" for its short length, from East Amherst to Newstead. The West Shore Trail follows the rail bed of the former West Shore & Buffalo RR from Clarence through Newstead and out to Akron. The two trails intersect in Newstead at Akron Junction. Unfortunately all the towns involved have separate maps that only include their sections, along with different names. Check out TRAIL LINK for a complete map.

As far as - "The world in 2008 is a lot different than today," Keem said. "When those people bought the property, no one told them there was a rail trail going through there."  - the article also states this has been proposed for 10+ years. Due diligence. 

Do I feel bad for the people who owned prior to this proposal if they do not want it? Yes, but only because they do not appear to have had the opportunity to have leased the land, been given the opportunity for an easement, or purchased it outright themselves.  I have little sympathy for the NIMBY crowd when they could buy land themselves to ensure development happens (or does not happen) in a way they (the NIMBY crowd) are happy with. 

This is concerning:

The trail runs right through most of the archery and trap shooting ranges at the West Falls Conservation Society. The club, with more than 300 members, has been around for more than 70 years, and has a number of programs for youth on its more than 50 acres. But if the trail, which is elevated at that point, is developed without changes, it would mean the end of the club, said president Jack Bouquin.

And has to do with NYS laws on hunting and shooting near X, Y, and Z.  If the club was not given the opportunity to lease, buy, or for an easement, then yes, they do have a legit gripe too. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

In Clarence, people buy near the trail so they can easily enjoy it.  Akron-Amherst-Clarence_Newstead Bike Paths  

Clarence Pathways consist of two old rail lines connecting at Akron Junction. The Peanut Line Trail follows the rail bed of the former NY Central RR, dubbed the "Peanut Line" for its short length, from East Amherst to Newstead. The West Shore Trail follows the rail bed of the former West Shore & Buffalo RR from Clarence through Newstead and out to Akron. The two trails intersect in Newstead at Akron Junction. Unfortunately all the towns involved have separate maps that only include their sections, along with different names. Check out TRAIL LINK for a complete map.

As far as - "The world in 2008 is a lot different than today," Keem said. "When those people bought the property, no one told them there was a rail trail going through there."  - the article also states this has been proposed for 10+ years. Due diligence. 

Do I feel bad for the people who owned prior to this proposal if they do not want it? Yes, but only because they do not appear to have had the opportunity to have leased the land, been given the opportunity for an easement, or purchased it outright themselves.  I have little sympathy for the NIMBY crowd when they could buy land themselves to ensure development happens (or does not happen) in a way they (the NIMBY crowd) are happy with. 

This is concerning:

The trail runs right through most of the archery and trap shooting ranges at the West Falls Conservation Society. The club, with more than 300 members, has been around for more than 70 years, and has a number of programs for youth on its more than 50 acres. But if the trail, which is elevated at that point, is developed without changes, it would mean the end of the club, said president Jack Bouquin.

And has to do with NYS laws on hunting and shooting near X, Y, and Z.  If the club was not given the opportunity to lease, buy, or for an easement, then yes, they do have a legit gripe too. 

we bought our second house cause it was right next to the Capital Cresent Trail in DC. we definitely paid more for the house as it was on the trail. People still pay up to be close to it

http://bikewashington.org/trails/cct/cct.htm

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

There's a housing project in Erie, PA about a mile or so from the Millcreek Mall. Between them is a suburb probably built in the 70's-80's. Crime rate is higher and home prices are lower than other similar suburbs.

You like?  Now go take a ride on Buffalo Road

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Oh ***** those pretentious self-important asswipes. 'Someone might gawk at my pool'! Yeah, B word, people go hiking 20+ miles to look at your schiffy-ass back yard.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This is concerning:

Eh, a few bullets and arrows just makes that stretch of the trail more fun to traverse. Dodge, dip, dive, duck, and dodge!