Bills defense is overrated.

tuckan

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure what those stats are supposed to tell me? 

I saw the games. 

The were bad in the Raven, Chargers(first half), and Colts game.

Agreed the offense didn't help them but independent of the offense, they were bad in those games.

They are a solid solid unit overall with some inconsistencies. Those inconsistencies could be fixed with another pass rusher opposite Hughes and Edmunds to stop ***** up game in and game out. 

That's reasonable. I haven't always found your analysis to be reasonable. But here you're being fair. "Those inconsistencies" were mostly fixed in every other game, oddly enough. But you're right: we've watched several BAD games of defense this season. Very bad games. Which has simply revealed that the 2018 Bills don't have an offense capable of 'picking up' the defense in a given week. 

No NFL defense is consistently shut-down anymore. Flashes, sure. But offense is the only somewhat-reliable phase of the game now.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:22 AM, dlonce said:

As the poster  Billever76 stated, paraphrasing, when the defense only relies on a 4 man rush we get whipped on.

Our front isn’t good enough to put a lot of pressure on by themselves.

It boggles my mind as to why we didn’t throw blitzes at a rookie QB.  We sat back, played zone and tried to do what?

Frasier has done this often,for whatever reason. My guess is it’s McDermott

Success has come when we throw blitz packages. 

Im tired of McDermott using games to test theories,  “trying different things” Most of what he has

tried has not worked. Stick to what we do best buddy.

It seems as though Frazier got too hung up on 4-man rushes early this year, and McDermott stepped in to infuse the play-calling with more creative/aggressive pressure packages. 

That appears to have mostly helped (except against the Colts and Packers, especially). But yeah, against the Colts, in particular, it looks like (and sounds like in post-game interviews) they'd gone back to the more passive Tampa-based, 4-man-only pass-rush games (twists and stunts and zone drops), which can be gashed and slashed on the ground, and exploited in play-action. 

Lately it feels like the D has gone back to those less aggressive pressure concepts that spell doom against teams who can also run the ball.

If we don't affect the QB,

we don't play good D. 

18 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They look at yards because it's how the NFL ranks defences. And for good reason.

Yards are best way to isolate the offence from the defence and vice versa.

Does it tell the whole story? No. Is it the one stat that best tells the story by itself? Yup. There is more to it but if you're going to look at one stat, that should be the one you look at.

Here are the top ten defences, as ranked by yards allowed:

1) Bills

2) Ravens

3) Bears

4) Cowboys

5) Vikes

6) Jags

7) Chargers

? Steelers

9) Titans

10) 49ers

Leaving out any discussion of the Bills entirely, is that a pretty good list of the best Ds? Are there any teams listed in the top five (leaving out the Bills, so the Ravens, Bears, Cowboys, Vikes and Jags) that don't absolutely belong there? Ranking teams by yards allowed produces a pretty good list of good defences, for exactly the obvious reason. Not a perfect list. But pretty damn good.

No, the Bills aren't the best in the league. But they absolutely belong in this group of ten. And not in the bottom two or three of it.

I think they are a very good defense but they still have things to work on.  They have been put in plenty of bad positions by the offense and special teams too.