A Few Thoughts about the Jags Game, In no particular order

Virgil

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think the 12th man on the field was Crossman's mistake.  Here's what I think happened:

I think Yarbrough starts on the punt return team.   At least I'm guessing that.   Yarbrough got dinged about five minutes before on some defensive play.   Looked like he might have a concussion.  They took him off the field and into the tent.  They did whatever they do and decided he was okay.   While he's off the field, Crossman knows he's down a player on the punt return team, so he tells the backup for Yarbrough's spot to be ready.  Jags get to fourth down, and the Bills send the punt receiving team onto the field, with the sub in for Yarbrough.   Someplace right around this time the docs tell Yarbrough he's good to go.  He comes out of the tent, and sees the punt return team on the field.  He knows that's his assignment, he's able to play, so he runs onto the field late.   He doesn't know, doesn't have any way to know, really, that Crossman's already substituted for him.   So Yarbrough heads out onto the field, someone realizes the problem, he turns around to get off, but it's too late.  

It's essentially a detail that got missed.  Someone needed to be on the sideline telling Yarbrough that he's out until someone sends him in.   

I think it's just one of those things that happen in games.  

Yarbrough admitted after game it was his mistake - he heard punt team and ran out of tent.

5 hours ago, ctk232 said:

To me, if that was the case, was Crossman seen yelling at Yarbrough to get back off the field? Or any assistants? I honestly didn't see, and haven't been able to find a replay, but if not it's quite the head-scratcher.

Crossman did his job - he had a substitute ready for punt team but Yarbrough heard punt team and ran out of tent.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, eball said:

My biggest takeaway from this game is that Allen has shown enough big play ability now to keep defenses "honest" when playing the Bills.  Before yesterday it was too easy to play 7-8 in the box and take away the short stuff.  No longer.  Allen is challenging defenses down the field and will only get better with more playing time.  I know the stat line through the air was not "pretty" but this is the sort of game film that will have DCs concerned going forward.

Really love the development of Foster; I had written him off after preseason but the kid appears to have learned a lot and is a true game-breaker.

Also, game ball to Daboll.  Dude is impressing me with his game plans and play-calling lately.

I agree to a point as that first quarter was downright amazing with that 75 yard drive and a perfect run to the end zone to cap it off. The run blocking by the WRs on that TD run was phenomenal as both Zay Jones and Logan Thomas put their guys on the ground and McKenzie went in untouched. 

It started with a screen pass to McCoy for 7 yards and then a run by McCoy again for a 1st down. Then a 32 yard pass to KB along with a PF face mask by Ramsey on KB. Then a 1st down pass to Croom for 11 yards. That quick handoff to McKenzie in motion was brilliant and caught that Jags defense so unaware. 

The next series with that Allen first down run and then that 75 yard bomb to Foster... this against an elite Jags secondary and a top 5 defensive unit. 

We didn't see many big plays by the Bills offense after that first quarter save for Allen's 14 yard TD run in the 4th.

Again, this was against a very, very good Jags defense and gotta love how Allen played in this game. Hopefully we see more of that type of first quarter offensive play in the next five games. 

19 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree to a point as that first quarter was downright amazing with that 75 yard drive and a perfect run to the end zone to cap it off. The run blocking by the WRs on that TD run was phenomenal as both Zay Jones and Logan Thomas put their guys on the ground and McKenzie went in untouched. 

It started with a screen pass to McCoy for 7 yards and then a run by McCoy again for a 1st down. Then a 32 yard pass to KB along with a PF face mask by Ramsey on KB. Then a 1st down pass to Croom for 11 yards. That quick handoff to McKenzie in motion was brilliant and caught that Jags defense so unaware. 

The next series with that Allen first down run and then that 75 yard bomb to Foster... this against an elite Jags secondary and a top 5 defensive unit. 

We didn't see many big plays by the Bills offense after that first quarter save for Allen's 14 yard TD run in the 4th.

Again, this was against a very, very good Jags defense and gotta love how Allen played in this game. Hopefully we see more of that type of first quarter offensive play in the next five games. 

The TD run was a designed QB draw so I give Daboll credit for that.  Putting up 24 points (and three long TD drives) against that defense is fantastic.  Also, consider the penalties that took away two 3rd down completions.  No, it wasn't perfect by any means, but the Bills were well prepared and executed reasonably well.

Compare, for example, how Adam Gase -- a supposed offensive mastermind -- is being skewered for his play calling in the 4th quarter Sunday.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:28 PM, eball said:

My biggest takeaway from this game is that Allen has shown enough big play ability now to keep defenses "honest" when playing the Bills.  Before yesterday it was too easy to play 7-8 in the box and take away the short stuff.  No longer.  Allen is challenging defenses down the field and will only get better with more playing time.  I know the stat line through the air was not "pretty" but this is the sort of game film that will have DCs concerned going forward.

Really love the development of Foster; I had written him off after preseason but the kid appears to have learned a lot and is a true game-breaker.

Also, game ball to Daboll.  Dude is impressing me with his game plans and play-calling lately.

The biggest gain I saw was his ability to throw the ball beyond the 1st down marker on 3rd downs...We have had too many QBs at OBD (including Tyrod) who threw inside the LoS and hoped (prayed) that the WR will get the first down!!!!!  If Allen can show consistency on those throws, we have a good QB on our team