The Marquee Matchup of Week Nine: LAR (8-0) vs. NO (6-1) - Great Game!!

Who Wins the Game?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the Game?

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep sorry, it was Horn. I had the wrong guy 

Years ago Saints WR Joe Horn pulled a flip phone out of goalpost padding after a TD. Had to be  mid 2000s. Motorola Razr era

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

Joe Horn, former WR for the Saints, scored a touchdown, pulled up the goalpost and pulled out a cell phone and acted like he was making a call....was a stupid celebration penalty back then, but actually idiotic today, IMO....the game was WAYY too close to be giving up 15 yards of field position to a team that has given you all you can handle....

I found it amusing both times, but if I followed the Saints or wanted them to win I guess I’d be mad about it. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep sorry, it was Horn. I had the wrong guy 

Years ago Saints WR Joe Horn pulled a flip phone out of his sock after a TD. Had to be  mid 2000s. Motorola Razr era

Lol I guess you gotta give him points for creativity 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Marquee Matchup of Week Nine: LAR (8-0) vs. NO (6-1) - Great Game!!

New Orleans Saints 45, Los Angeles Rams 35

1. Defense took a back seat at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Sunday's game gave fans everything they hoped for in a matchup featuring two the NFC's top teams and the first contest in league history between two teams averaging 33-plus points in Week 9. The atmosphere throughout the game proved electric with a postseason feel, and these two teams could very well meet again in January.

Points came a plenty as the Saints took a 35-14 lead, but the Rams responded with 21 straight points to tie the game in the fourth quarter. Saints kicker Wil Lutz nailed a 54-yard field goal at the 6:23 mark of the fourth quarter to put the Saints up 38-35, and then Drew Brees connected with Michael Thomason a 72-yard touchdown pass. The box score provides a good indication of how the fireworks flew. In addition to the 45-35 final score, the Rams (8-1) and Saints (7-1) combined for 970 total yards; the Rams averaged 8.2 yards per play; and the Saints averaged 7 yards per play.

For individual statistics, quarterbacks Drew Brees and Jared Goff each topped 300 yards passing; Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas hauled in 12 catches for 211 yards and a touchdown; Saintsrunning back Alvin Kamara totaled 116 yards and three touchdowns.

2. There were so many battles to digest Sunday, but arguably one that received a lot of attention heading into Sunday surrounded the Saints offensive line against a stout Rams interior defensive line anchored by Aaron Donald.

Brees entered Week 9 being pressured on just 15.5 percent of drop backs and sacked just nine times on the season. And with strength against strength on the line, the Saints' front-five more that rose to the occasion. Brees wasn't sacked on the game and the Rams managed just four quarterback hits, while both Saints guards did their jobs of holding back the interior pass rush.

The Saints quarterback helped out the offensive line with quick throws, of course, but even on deeper routes, the offensive line did a good job on keeping Brees clean and allowing him to dissect the Rams' secondary.

3. Rams running back Todd Gurley entered Sunday's game averaging 143.8 total yards from scrimmage, but faced a challenging matchup against a Saints run defense ranked first in the league.

Still, how Gurley goes, goes the Rams and the elite running back got off to a fast start, scoring a touchdown to tie the game 7-7 in the first quarter.

Gurley, however, couldn't get it going the rest of the game. Yes, the Saints jumped out to a 21-point lead before the Rams came back, but even as receiver Gurley had issues en route to finished the game with 89 total yards (68 rushing). The receiving aspect was a bit of a head scratcher, as Gurley caught six passes for 11 yards on seven targets.

Sunday marked just the third time on the season that Gurley didn't total at least 100 yards. The Ramswere able to overcome those performances against the Arizona Cardinals in Week 2 and San Francisco 49ers in Week 7, but failed to do so against a playoff-caliber team.

-- Herbie Teope

NFL Week 9 Grades: Resurgent Falcons get an 'A+'; Ravens get a 'C-' in loss to Steelers

New Orleans 45-35 over L.A. Rams

Rams: B

The Rams only made a few mistakes in this game, but they were all big. In the first half alone, they missed a field goal and threw an interception, two mistakes that both eventually led to touchdowns for New Orleans. Also in the first half, the Rams ran a fake field goal that didn't work (although it was close) and once the Saints got the ball back, they scored another touchdown. Sean McVay loves to take risks and sometimes those risks don't pay off, as he found out in New Orleans. 

Saints: A

The Saints needed a big day from their offense to knock off the undefeated Rams, and that's exactly what they got. Michael Thomas ran circles around the Rams secondary, catching 12 passes for 211 yards and one touchdown. And then there was Alvin Kamara, who kept the scoreboard operator active by scoring three of the Saints' six touchdowns. The Saints didn't punt a single time in the first half as they shot out to a 35-17 lead. Drew Brees was the man who made all of this happen. The Saints quarterback threw for 346 yards and four touchdowns. The Saints are now 21-1 when Brees throws four or more touchdown passes and no interceptions in a game. 

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It is indeed.  McDermott's thinking is so outdated. 

This isn't good; it's just not good...

I was all for giving the benefit of the doubt and I know it would be painful, but something really feels off and I cannot see us putting a competent offense together

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This isn't good; it's just not good...

I was all for giving the benefit of the doubt and I know it would be painful, but something really feels off and I cannot see us putting a competent offense together

This kind of statement along with the mantra of running the ball and being tough because of Buffalo weather.  

Michael Thomas caught a late 72-yard touchdown reception and then celebrated with a cellphone in a throwback to another famous New Orleans play, and the streaking Saints handed the Los Angeles Rams their first loss of the season with a 45-35 win.

NEW ORLEANS -- Michael Thomas caught a late 72-yard touchdown reception and then celebrated with a cellphone in a throwback to another famous New Orleans play, and the streaking Saints handed the Los Angeles Rams their first loss of the season with a 45-35 win on Sunday.

Drew Brees passed for 346 yards and four touchdowns in New Orleans' seventh straight win, and Thomas finished with a club-record 211 yards receiving. But what happened after their last connection of the day really stole the show in a wild shootout between two of the NFL's best offenses.

Thomas' long TD came on a pivotal third-down play with about four minutes to go, when the Rams seemed to expect the Saints to run a play closer to the first-down marker. Thomas ran free behind Marcus Peters, caught Brees' long throw virtually in stride and ran straight to the goal post, where he got out an old-school flip phone -- reminiscent of Joe Horn's Sunday night TD celebration in 2003.

Like Horn, Thomas was penalized, but the Rams never threatened after that.

I have a feeling theses teams will butt heads again this season.

Swaggering Saints Hand Rams First Loss with Knockout Blow

By Jim Trotter - NFL.com reporter

NEW ORLEANS -- There are moments that define teams, moments when clubs are forced to look in the mirror and answer whether they truly believe in the things they claim to stand for, moments when they discover whether adversity produces fear and hesitation or eagerness to attack the challenge before them.

In their thrilling 45-35 victory over the previously undefeated Rams in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Sunday, the Saints left no doubt that their offense is everything it claims to be: an aggressive, impose-your-will unit that always seeks to win with a knockout punch rather than a series of jabs, as evidenced by quarterback Drew Brees' decision to take the kill shot in the final minutes instead of attempting to control the clock by handing the ball off or throwing short passes to move the chains.

"Drew is Mike Tyson in his prime, period," said running back Alvin Kamara.
With just under four minutes to play and the Saints clinging to a three-point lead after squandering a 21-point cushion, they easily could have looked to play the clock and keep the ball from a Rams offense that had produced points on four of its previous five possessions. It was third-and-7 from their 28-yard line. Coach Sean Payton sought to get the first down and called for a safe, short pass to Kamara, believing that the Rams would double team wideout Michael Thomas on a deep route. That's the way they had practiced the play all week; not once did the Saints work against a look where Thomas was single-covered.