How would have you handled the roster this offseason?

Ramza86

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I would have brought in a vet WR/TE for a security blanket for Allen OR if I wanted Allen to sit (like I think he should) I bring in a vet QB for him learn under. (The Cardinals tried this and for them the vet they chose just stunk beyond stinking..)

This!  The rest is just a bunch of noise.

I actually laid out my mock off-season on BuffaloRumblings back in February. To summarize:

Tyrod Situation:

• Trade Tyrod. At the time, the Tyrod trade had not actually happened, but I suggested trading him to Cleveland for Cody Kessler and their 4th round pick. This gives Buffalo a young QB with some experience who can compete for the starting job.

Free Agency:

• Bring back Exclusive Right Free Agents:
    • Nick O'Leary
    • Lafayette Pitts
    • Logan Thomas
    • Eddie Yarbrough
  • Re-sign:
    • Kyle Williams
    • Leonard Johnson
    • Joe Webb
  • Cut:
    • Lorenzo Alexander (in retrospect, this would have been horrible...he's been incredible this season)
  • Outside Free Agents:
    • Vontae Davis (he had already signed at this point unfortunately; otherwise I would have preferred to bring EJ Gaines back instead)
    • AJ McCarron
    • Allen Robinson
    • Nigel Bradham
    • Charles Johnson
    • Frostee Rucker
    • Charles Sims
  • Draft:
    • 1.21: Lamar Jackson; to me, he was the #1 QB prospect in the draft and I had a feeling he'd slide to 21 which obviously makes it even better.
    • 1.22: Tremaine Edmunds
    • 2.21: Harrison Phillips
    • 2.24: RB Ronald Jones; I thought he was the #2 RB in the class at the time. Obviously he's disappointed so far though.
    • 3.32: OT Jamarco Jones; ended up going in the 5th round in real life, but I thought he'd be a nice developmental tackle prospect.
    • 4.1: CB Issac Yiadom; ended up going 2 picks before this in real life. Bills were very limited at corner and I thought his height and length would be a good fit
    • 4.21: OG Sean Welsh; think he went undrafted in the end
    • 5.21: Dorance Armstrong; went in the 4th round in real life. Thought he'd help to address the need for pass-rushers
    • 5.29: LB Jack Cichy; went in the 6th round in real life; wanted to add more LB depth
  • Projected Starters:
    • QB: AJ McCarron (with Kessler and Lamar behind him)
    • RB: LeSean McCoy (Ronald Jones as the backup and Charles Sims as a 3rd down back)
    • WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Zay Jones
    • TE: Charles Clay
    • O-Line: Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito (obviously this didn't end up working out), Ryan Groy, John Miller, Dion Dawkins
    • D-Line: Jerry Hughes, Kyle Williams, Harrison Phillips, Charles Johnson
    • LB: Matt Milano, Tremaine Edmunds, Nigel Bradham
    • Secondary: Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Tredavious White, Vontae Davis
  • Like (+1) 2

Me? Ok here we go!

QB- First off, I would have brought Bridgewater in instead of McCarron.(same money) I would have also brought in an old vet like Anderson or Fitzpatrick and still drafted Allen (if we were stuck at 7) I also would take a look at Chase Daniel as a #2 option instead of the old vet. 

RB- no change but also would have made some effort to bring in Hyde and Crowell instead of Ivory as our #2

WR- I would have worked hard to sign Robinson, Richardson, Nelson or Crabtree to be our #1 or #2. Second tier I would have loved to bring in John Brown or Pryor. I'd still see if Pryor was available. I would have done my best to get Gordon instead of letting him run to the Pats.

OT- I would have looked at Matt Tobin on the cheap to compete with Mills.

OG- I would have invested heavily in Norwell (used Star's money) and signed Sitton. 

C- not much change, there was nothing out there Bodine is a good place-holder.

This is a functional NFL offense which would still fit our cap. We'd spend about 7-9m more than what was spent and it would be worth it.

DE- I understand the shot at Murphy and may do the same for 7m. Next on the list would have been Clayborne since this was a thin FA crop.

DT-  I'm looking at Wilkerson, Poe, Logan or Ngata for about 1/2 the price of Star and doing the same job.

ILB- same

OLB-same.  I would have loved to bring Bradham back but he was too expensive.

CB- I would have made sure we kept EJ Gaines.  No Vontae and saved 1m

My roster here is 4-3 or 5-2. Get rid of Beane and hire me now.  I can make the process work.

QB - Bridgewater/ Anderson or Daniel/Allen

RB- Shady/ Crowell/Murphy

WR- Richardson/Nelson/Pryor/Zay

OL- Dawkins/Norwell/Bodine/Sitton/Tobin or Mills

DE- Murphy/Kyle/Ngata or Poe/Hughes

LB- Milano/Edmonds/Alexander

DB- Te/Poyer/Hyde/EJ Gaines

Edited by BillsRdue