QB is always the root of offensive problems

mjt328

6 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Zay runs a lot more routes than when targeted. And when targeted does the ball come out on time?

I can't stand arguing with people that try to take away what an elite QB means to an offense. 

If you want to debate about the middle tier QB's then fine, yes there is more to the offense. I mean you take Aaron Rodgers out and you go from a top 5 passing game to a bottom 5 passing game instantly. 

Thats part of the point I’m trying to get across... are you expecting a rookie to look elite after 5 games. Couple that with ***** coaching and ***** skill positions. 

15 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

You'll never convince me that this is a decent OL.

Even if it is "passable" at times... the OL needs to be DOMINANT, in my opinion.

If I'm starting a football team, I'm starting with the OL. 

I will start with the QB and kick your ass for decades.  Your dominant OL will fall apart within a few years before your QB has "grown"" or whatever.

15 hours ago, wiskibreth said:

So.. how does the QB make Shady look bad again?  That one went over my head.

By not throwing him the ball in rhythm or accuracy.  Also by not executing, going three and out, throwing interceptions.  Those all reduce touches.

Edited by mattynh

The OP definitely sums up how I feel.   There is a ridiculous fascination with WR's due to fantasy football, the they get the stats.  No one pays attention to the fact that when guys who previously got stats come to Buffalo they no longer due.  The WR's were a "problem" when we had Watkins, Woods, Hogan and Goodwin.  

Get Demaryius Thomas and then when the offensive output stays they same what will the excuse be?  We need another and another.  Its the QB!!!!!!

QB's make WR's

WR's cannot make a QB

Start with a QB, always.

We have a QB, Allen...big arm, smart, runs fast and jumps tall buildings with a single bound.   However he cant process what happens after the snap for anything right now.  That is the #1,#2 and #3 problem's.   If he does not improve no amount of all pro WR's will change anything.  A QB who can process and react to what he sees after the snap might not have great stats but they would not be this far in gutter with the talent on the Bills right now.

15 hours ago, WRONG JOSH said:

This line, this receiving group, add Tom Brady. We would have a team full of pro bowlers and nobody would be complaining

Add Brady, Rogers or Breese to almost any team and have an instant juggernaut on O... your talking about the top tier QBs in the NFL.  How would Dalton, Rivers etc look in Buffalo?

17 hours ago, mjt328 said:

So the common theme I keep reading is that Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott either:

a)  Don't want their team to be good on offense, and want to win games by low scores, OR

b)  Are totally clueless on how to find offensive talent.

The first theory is totally ridiculous.  If Beane/McDermott were not interested in the offensive side of the ball, they wouldn't have spent nearly 12 months acquiring draft capitol for the sole-purpose of trading up to get the riskiest QB in the draft, simply because he had the highest ceiling.  This was not a conservative or remotely safe decision.

Whether Beane/McDermott are clueless about the offensive side of the ball has yet to be determined.

Yes, the offense is terrible.  Maybe the worst we've seen in Buffalo since Jim Kelly retired (and that's really saying something).

But I'm 100% convinced that our struggles on offense are MOSTLY related to the play of our quarterbacks.  They are dragging everything down.

As of now, Football Outsiders' metrics place it as the worst offense EVER according to their DVOA metric, which admittedly only applies back to 1986: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2018/week-7-dvoa-ratings .

'In particular, Arizona plummeted on offense, from -31.3% to -39.9%. That puts the Cardinals into rare territory as one of the ten worst offenses we've ever tracked through seven games. But the Cardinals still can't even come close to the impotence of the Buffalo Bills. Buffalo's offensive DVOA stayed relatively constant after the Indianapolis blowout, going from -53.4% to -53.2%. But most of the worst offenses we've ever tracked weren't staying constant around Week 7 -- they were starting to come back from their horrendous starts, slowly improving their ratings. Which means that the 2018 Buffalo Bills are now the worst offense in DVOA history, at least through seven games.'

15 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

You'll never convince me that this is a decent OL.

Even if it is "passable" at times... the OL needs to be DOMINANT, in my opinion.

If I'm starting a football team, I'm starting with the OL. 

Everything on this offense is terrible (see my post above). With regard to the o-line, I'll simply say that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. That's the o-line relative to the other units.