2 things - sobieski and travis h

re ben sobieski, he's a 5th rounder, which is a reasonably high pick for a guard? is he a complete washout? i've seen neither hide nor hair of him in some time. in all the talk of demulling/wahle etc., why is it that a 5th rounder who was said to be pretty talented coming out of a great program (iowa) is so useless to the bills?

re travis, it occurred to me that he's freaking out about not being traded, yet we're still weeks from the draft. can't he (or his agent) realize that it's not in most teams' interest to get anything done before the draft? is he that unable to defer gratification?

re ben sobieski, he's a 5th rounder, which is a reasonably high pick for a guard? is he a complete washout?  i've seen neither hide nor hair of him in some time. in all the talk of demulling/wahle etc., why is it that a 5th rounder who was said to be pretty talented coming out of a great program (iowa) is so useless to the bills?

re travis, it occurred to me that he's freaking out about not being traded, yet we're still weeks from the draft. can't he (or his agent) realize that it's not in most teams' interest to get anything done before the draft? is he that unable to defer gratification?

283607[/snapback]

Maybe the official team profile for him says everything you need to know:

Buffalo Bills Player Profile: Ben Sobieski

Add to the non-information in the Team Profile (which I agree seems to be a pretty accurate assessment of his role in the team's future) is that i appears clear that he was drafted as a talented prospect who had never reached the potential he showed in college because of a series of injuries.

From what I have seen and heard he has not suffered from a similar series of injuries as a Pro which is good, but has not used his reduction in injuries to force himself into the line-up. In fact, on the contrary because when it came down to final cuts last year he was not enough of a contributor to make the roster and was actually let go and did not sign with anyone else even though he was free to do so.

However, potential is potential and he made it back to the Bills as a practice squad player, but once again despite the openings on the OL which alloed Smith to jump from the Ravens PS to actually start for the Bills Sobieski has not even been able to make the roster,

Unless there is some extraordinary boost in his output this minicamp and pre-season, I think the project will be declared done and he will be let go.

Add to the non-information in the Team Profile (which I agree seems to be a pretty accurate assessment of his role in the team's future) is that i appears clear that he was drafted as a talented prospect who had never reached the potential he showed in college because of a series of injuries.

From what I have seen and heard he has not suffered from a similar series of injuries as a Pro which is good, but has not used his reduction in injuries to force himself into the line-up.  In fact, on the contrary because when it came down to final cuts last year he was not enough of a contributor to make the roster and was actually let go and did not sign with anyone else even though he was free to do so.

However, potential is potential and he made it back to the Bills as a practice squad player, but once again despite the openings on the OL which alloed Smith to jump from the Ravens PS to actually start for the Bills Sobieski has not even been able to make the roster,

Unless there is some extraordinary boost in his output this minicamp and pre-season, I think the project will be declared done and he will be let go.

283666[/snapback]

Sobieski was hurt enough to be moved to the practice squad's injured reserve before the end of 2005.

http://kffl.com/player/6159/nfl

Sobieski was hurt enough to be moved to the practice squad's  injured reserve before the end of 2005. 

http://kffl.com/player/6159/nfl

283814[/snapback]

Assuming the PS IR works the same way as the regular roster he'd have had to be given a clean bill of health before being released and consequently resigned as a FA by us this year.

Assuming the PS IR works the same way as the regular roster he'd have had to be given a clean bill of health before being released and consequently resigned as a FA by us this year.

283874[/snapback]

His contract as a PS player is only for the season. Once the season is up, he's a FA, eligible to sign with us or anyone else, same as an active player whose contract runs out after a season on IR. He was released in preseason when he was healthy & got injured under his 1 year PS contract.

His contract as a PS player is only for the season.  Once the season is up, he's a FA, eligible to sign with us or anyone else, same as an active player whose contract runs out after a season on IR.  He was released in preseason when he was healthy & got injured under his 1 year PS contract.

283883[/snapback]

I haven't checked it against the NFLPA CBA but my understanding of IR is that a rostered player injured during a season must continue to be carried under the terms of their contract at the time of the injury until such time as the player can pass a physical for the injury that led to his being placed on the IR, or an injury settlement is reached. It's possible I'm confusing this with another provision- you have any idea?