Can Beane and McDermott judge offensive talent, and build that side of the ball?

KOKO NFL

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Pegulas need to do this, or this team will continue to be a disaster for a whole lot more than just 4 years.  They will never become a top echelon team as long as McDermott is HC because of his lack of interest/knowledge of offensive football, but if he's allowed to continue to mismanage player personnel as he has for the last 2 years, it will take 4 or 5 years after he's gone just to bring the team talent, especially on the offensive side, up to the NFL average.

I doubt that the Pegula's are hiring anybody to look over Beane's or McDermott's shoulder.  They were most likely told this was a 3 year project but I suspect that Kim will be in their ear to overcome any desire to overlook the offense in favor of another defensive piece.  

Beane and Mcdermott have 2 years. after next year if there is no signs of progress they are both done and we clean house

this delusion from Bills fans thinking they are getting 3+ years is hilarious. Like the poster above said once the Allen experiment fails its over. Especially while we all watch Darnold and Rosen light up teams. 

20 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I doubt that the Pegula's are hiring anybody to look over Beane's or McDermott's shoulder.  They were most likely told this was a 3 year project but I suspect that Kim will be in their ear to overcome any desire to overlook the offense in favor of another defensive piece.  

It's NOT about just adding offensive players.  It's about evaluating offensive talent so that you pick/pursue the right offensive players to fit your team's offensive philosophy and needs.  That presupposes that the people/person in charge have a viable offensive philosophy.  McDermott doesn't.  He doesn't value or believe in building a good offense, just one that won't lose games for his defense.  That's a losing philosophy in the modern NFL where teams need to have at least some kind of passing offense in order to have any real chance of success.

Using the WR position as an example, drafting Ray-Ray McLeod, Ricky Proehl, and acquiring the likes of Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes and various other journeymen does not inspire confidence in the current regime's offensive talent appraisal ability.

Also agree with the other posts that say the regime will ultimately be judged for its selection of Josh Allen.

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Fair question....

One reason is because of draft status. Peterman was a 5th round pick & Allen a first round pick.

Peterman was a projected back-up NFL QB, Allen a potential solid to good if not great NFL starter.

Peterman has looked bad since he started playing. Granted he was dealt a bad hand and was thrust into the spotlight when he probably shouldn't have. Those interceptions has left all Bills fans with a bad taste, and they don't want to see anymore from him. It may be unfair, but that's how it goes.

Many people feel that Allen can and will be the future of the Bills, myself included. He was given a bad deal and thrust into action immediately, when some of us wanted to see him holding a clipboard all year. That's not how it turned out and here we are.

I personally hated the Peterman pick. Even though it was a 5th round pick. I saw nothing from him in his college career that convinced me he was going to be a starter in this league. Josh Allen was not my top QB in the draft this year, but I was fine with the Bills selecting him. He's raw, but I believe that he has good to great potential.

I feel that Allen is progressing. Slowly, but progressing. I really think we would have won today, had he not gotten hurt. That pass to Benjamin was big and you could see that he was hyped and hungry and ready to go on the attack, but he had to accept that he was injured.

That's the best way I can put it. Peterman got sucked into a no-win situation and now he has been stigmatized. He threw two very nice passes to Zay Jones & Andre Holmes today and then he threw two awful interceptions. The loss goes with him, that's a bad deal, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I agree that we win that game with Allen

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

It's NOT about just adding offensive players.  It's about evaluating offensive talent so that you pick/pursue the right offensive players to fit your team's offensive philosophy and needs.  That presupposes that the people/person in charge have a viable offensive philosophy.  McDermott doesn't.  He doesn't value or believe in building a good offense, just one that won't lose games for his defense.  That's a losing philosophy in the modern NFL where teams need to have at least some kind of passing offense in order to have any real chance of success.

They also put way too much value in offensive players playing special teams. Lets get guys who can play offence first and worry about special teams later. Just kick out the back of the end zone and punt out of bounds if you are so worried about teams. 

• Like (+1) 1