Wanna go back to the Union Topic?

I do not see how SS can prevent the exact scenario you are mentioning. At least with privatization, we and our kids and grandkids have a fighting chance.

283516[/snapback]

You mention that your privatization plan would be done in stages with current benefit receivers continuing at their current level. So your plan also needs billions of additional dollars to make up for the money that is being taken away when our money is privatized, correct? Do we just add that money to the deficit? Do we increase income tax? Do we cut out another federal program which falls to the states so our state taxes go up? No matter what "positive" we gain will be offset with some negative. Don't take this as me wanting the status quo. I just want to point out that we that taxpayer will foot whatever "improvement" occurs.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mention that your privatization plan would be done in stages with current benefit receivers continuing at their current level.  So your plan also needs billions of additional dollars to make up for the money that is being taken away when our money is privatized, correct?  Do we just add that money to the deficit?  Do we increase income tax?  Do we cut out another federal program which falls to the states so our state taxes go up?  No matter what "positive" we gain will be offset with some negative.  Don't take this as me wanting the status quo.  I just want to point out that we that taxpayer will foot whatever "improvement" occurs.

283549[/snapback]

I fail to see how moving things to the state level is a bad thing. That's much better than sending a ton of money to Washington to fund the pet projects of the most senior leftislators there. The Federal Government of this country was meant to be small and have very narrow responsibilities.

Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day and the current system of propping up an endless bureaucracy simply doesn't work. The amount of money controlled in Washington DC is larger than any other economy in the world. That's a very bad idea.

You mention that your privatization plan would be done in stages with current benefit receivers continuing at their current level.  So your plan also needs billions of additional dollars to make up for the money that is being taken away when our money is privatized, correct? 

283549[/snapback]

Regardless of when we change things with SS, it is going to cost money. The longer we wait, the more it is going to cost. There is no question that there will be a large bill to change things over. This is the price we are paying for the mistakes of the past.

The money needed will be taken from bureaucratic waste and programs that will be cut. The rest will temporarily be added to the deficit. As mentioned in my previous post, you know how I plan on taking care of the deficit.

The mistake you are making with my plan, is that you think that whenever a program is cut, it will fall to the state/local governments to pick up the tab. That is not the case. I want the programs to move to the private sector and get governmnet out of it. It does not matter whether it is federal, state or local governments. Shuffling the money does not accomplish anything. We need true reform and you need to get things away from governmental control and move it to the private sector. It will increase the tax base and decrease the tax burden on each citizen.

Your tax bill decreases while your private sector bills increase probably at least as much.

283619[/snapback]

You only pay for the services you use, unlike now where you pay for everything.

Why would you post something like this and void yourself of any credibility.

I am not a democrat. This is clear. Joe, do you think that I am a Nazi?

283642[/snapback]

No, I'm just sick and damned tired of hearing these idiots brand anyone to the right of them Nazis.

Who is making he choices of where you can invest? The government? The government will tell you what you can and cannot invest in with your money?

That's not very Libertarian of you.  :lol:

283490[/snapback]

I have been posting back and forth with Joe for at least 7 years. I have drank beer with him at RWS, and even met his brother. Joe is a superb person, a great guy.

That said, dont completely buy that "libertarian" thing. He is weaker than weak on the smoking ban.

AD, from what I read, comes way closer to being a libertarian from where I sit.

Flat Tax. There are no deductions. The tax rates would be smaller, which negates the deductions you would have received. Smaller government requires less tax revenue to sustain itself.

283189[/snapback]

Ken, if I am not being too personal, do you own a home? Are you paying a mortgage on a home, or property?

I have been posting back and forth with Joe for at least 7 years. I have drank beer with him at RWS, and even met his brother. Joe is a superb person, a great guy.

That said, dont completely buy that "libertarian" thing. He is weaker than weak on the smoking ban.

283647[/snapback]

Oh yeah?

Well I'm stronger than strong on taxes, drug reform, governmental reduction, free trade and defense.

As a reofrmed smoker, I am overjoyed by the ban for simply greedy reasons.

:lol:

283647[/snapback]

Are you calling him a pseudo-Libertarian? :lol:

I am changing my registration to Libertarian due to the work I am doing for the party, but I am not a true Libertarian. They have several policies that scare me. Technically, I am somewhere between an old school conservative and a Libertarian. Maybe JSP is similar in philosophy?

Ken, if I am not being too personal, do you own a home? Are you paying a mortgage on a home, or property?

283653[/snapback]

Yup and yup. I am paying more in taxes to keep the Titanic (Fed) afloat than I get to deduct in mortgage interest.

Oh yeah?

Well I'm stronger than strong on taxes, drug reform, governmental reduction, free trade  and defense.

As a reofrmed smoker, I am overjoyed by the ban for simply greedy reasons.

283659[/snapback]

Yeah, you've got a lot going for you. TOO much to be a wuss on a property ownership issue that involves stronger government. ;)

Are you calling him a pseudo-Libertarian?  :lol:

I am changing my registration to Libertarian due to the work I am doing for the party, but I am not a true Libertarian. They have several policies that scare me. Technically, I am somewhere between an old school conservative and a Libertarian. Maybe JSP is similar in philosophy?

283665[/snapback]

You nailed it. I'm not a huge fan of their stances on gay marraige and immigration and abortion. Most other stuff I'm in line iwth. I'm a Paleo-con of the order of Attila. ;)

283653[/snapback]

I do - and I think a flat tax would be more fair to everyone. It would also eliminate all of the hidden taxes (like gas, weird taxes on the phone bills, etc). Everyone would actually know what they're paying. That in itself would keep these idiots in check.

Also, it'd seriously deplete the size and power of the IRS. Beautiful in its simplicity.

Are you calling him a pseudo-Libertarian?  :lol:

283665[/snapback]

I will never be a libertarian because of that fist/nose cliche. It is far too all inclusive and self perpetuating.

In national elections, I have been voting for repubs because I consider myself relatively sane. If the dems (or an independant with the means to run a campaign) were to put forth something better than disgraceful candidates that we have seen in the elections and primaries, I would be open to change.

I do - and I think a flat tax would be more fair to everyone.  It would also eliminate all of the hidden taxes (like gas, weird taxes on the phone bills, etc).  Everyone would actually know what they're paying.  That in itself would keep these idiots in check.

Also, it'd seriously deplete the size and power of the IRS.  Beautiful in its simplicity.

283683[/snapback]

If a flat tax were to be enacted, tell me how many minutes it would take to get the first rate increase?

If a flat tax were to be enacted, tell me how many minutes it would take to get the first rate increase?

283693[/snapback]

And the alternative is better? Because the govt has you fooled into thinking you're making out with a mortgage deduction???

You one of those "I Fear Change" people, Bill?