NFL Power Rankings week 8 - A few laughs (updated)

7 hours ago, Paulus said:

Each week should merit a new thread,as it gets stupid trying to dig through past posts. So stupid and time wasting, I don't even bother, and I'm sure I'm not alone...

And, the Bills were a completely different team when they faced the Vikes... Sword cuts two ways. And, Vegas has been wrong about the Bills plenty, this year. 

Opinions, everybody has one.......

for all the countless threads that go one way there are equal threads going the other way. Just because some don’t swallow the Koolaid doesn’t mean those that do have some moral high ground. 

Cheers

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, DCOrange said:

They're literally just stating which game the team has the lowest chance to win. The game in New England is a lower probability than the game in Buffalo; that's all they're saying.

So they change the narrative of  Power Rankings 

From 

What is

To

What they think or a computer Calculated? 

these are Weekly Rankings on how teams performed.  (or some media hack thinks based on performance)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

So they change the narrative of  Power Rankings 

From 

What is

To

What they think or a computer Calculated? 

these are Weekly Rankings on how teams performed.  (or some media hack thinks based on performance)

Power rankings have always been what they think. If you wanted to know “what is” you’d just look at the standings.

And the comment about which game a team is least likely to win has no real bearing on where they are ranked in the power rankings. It’s just a one-off comment about a difficult game on their schedule. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Power rankings have always been what they think. If you wanted to know “what is” you’d just look at the standings.

And the comment about which game a team is least likely to win has no real bearing on where they are ranked in the power rankings. It’s just a one-off comment about a difficult game on their schedule. 

I agree to whats in bold ... 

to base an analysis on SOS of future opponents is IMO not correct.     Again.  A few Laughs as I have in the title.  

Last season the Chargers were 0-4 then ripped off a bunch of wins and nearly made the WC 

KC in 2015  was also  HORRIBLE  @1-5  then ripped off 11 straight wins and  made the WC   and won a playoff game 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

19 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I used to have a running bet with a friend on the Bills and the Vegas line.

Playing the point spread after 2 years

neither of us won more than a 1 or 2 games on the other.  

But, look how far off Vegas has been off with the spread when it comes to the Bills this year. I mean, I don't think anyone has been able to really guage the team, outside of a few fans.

I still think the BIlls are much the same team they were last year, and will be better than they were last year when we get to the last half of the season. I could be wrong, but that is what I think. 

Edited by Paulus

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I agree to whats in bold ... 

to base an analysis on SOS of future opponents is IMO not correct.     Again.  A few Laughs as I have in the title.  

Last season the Chargers were 0-4 then ripped off a bunch of wins and nearly made the WC 

KC in 2015  was also  HORRIBLE  @1-5  then ripped off 11 straight wins and  made the WC   and won a playoff game 

...certainly agree....changes from week to week......pre-season SOS is useless........injuries, benchings, cuts, trades, new signings/releases. PS promotions, etc.......how can there be any value in forecasts?......

18 minutes ago, Paulus said:

But, look how far off Vegas has been off with the spread when it comes to the Bills this year. I mean, I don't think anyone has been able to really guage the team, outside of a few fans.

I still think the BIlls are much the same team they were last year, and will be better than they were last year when we get to the last half of the season. I could be wrong, but that is what I think. 

It's not the spread per se'  its how they cash in!!!!!    the line varies depending on which way the bettors lean.  it changes to balance out their books.   

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly agree....changes from week to week......pre-season SOS is useless........injuries, benchings, cuts, trades, new signings/releases. PS promotions, etc.......how can there be any value in forecasts?......

ding ding ding

they can't ...  Brady gets sidelined for a month or more ....  their model is shot. 

D Watson hurt  their model is shot.  Rodgers hurt, their model is shot. Mahomes comes down to earth, their model is shot.

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It's not the spread per se'  its how they cash in!!!!!    the line varies depending on which way the bettors lean.  it changes to balance out their books.   

ForthrightTimelyAfricanjacana-size_restr

Edited by Paulus

This weeks LAUGH isn't about placement BUT what was said or what they didn't say

25. Cleveland Browns

Record: 2-4-1
Week 7 ranking: 22

Need more from: QB Baker Mayfield. The Browns rank 31st in completion percentage (55 percent) and have allowed the most sacks in the NFL (31), but don't put that on the offensive line. Cleveland's line has won its pass blocks by 2.5 seconds 62 percent of the time, the second-best rate in the NFL. -- Larson

27. New York Jets

Record: 3-4
Week 7 ranking: 25

Need more from: QB Sam Darnold. He might have been the No. 3 overall pick in this year's draft, but the Jets rank in the bottom three in the NFL in Total QBR (30th). New York also ranks 30th this year in completion percentage (56 percent) and interceptions per pass attempt (5 percent). -- Larson

29. Buffalo Bills

Record: 2-5
Week 7 ranking: 28

Need more from: C Russell Bodine. It would be easy to say Josh Allen, but Allen was hurt while throwing and Bodine has won his pass blocks by 2.5 seconds just 76 percent of the time, the worst rate among the Bills' regular offensive linemen. Bodine was moved into the starting lineup last month when the Bills benched Ryan Groy, and now it's time to step up. -- Larson

What about the QB that played the entire game in Indy?  Mr Anderson?

32. Arizona Cardinals

Record: 1-6
Week 7 ranking: 31

Need more from: RB David Johnson. It certainly isn't all Johnson's fault, but the Cardinals rank last in yards per rush and rushing yards per game -- with more than 20 fewer yards per game on the ground than any other team. Perhaps the dismissal of Mike McCoy as offensive coordinator and the elevation of Byron Leftwich to that position will help Johnson produce like he has in prior years. -- Schwartz

And because my prior post mentioned the Giants 

28. New York Giants

Record: 1-6
Week 7 ranking: 29

Need more from: LT Nate Solder. The Giants gave Solder $15.5 million per year this offseason, the highest APY of any offensive lineman in the league. New York hasn't gotten much return on investment. Coming into Week 7, Solder had held his block for at least 2.5 seconds on just 66 percent of dropbacks, the third-worst rate among OTs with at least 100 pass block snaps. -- Xie

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25055742/nfl-week-8-power-rankings-2018-players-need-step-all-32-teams

Edited by ShadyBillsFan