Opening a authentic Buffalo restaurant in Californ

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man we eat so unhealthy up here.

282004[/snapback]

It has become part of WNY culture. We eat greasy, fatty, delicious food. We drink great beer by the keg. And the weather keeps the average jogger inside about half the year.

I agree – let’s do all we can to spread this lifestyle across the country.

I moved away but am only happy when I find a place that offers a respectable level of lethality on its menu.

You need to serve a Royal Sub like John & Mary's...

Italian Sausage, Capicola, cheese (provolone), and the usual toppings (mayo, oil, vinegar, lettuce, tomato, onions).

281985[/snapback]

Completely agree. Royals are awesome. Plus, other cities don't usually have souvlaki sandwiches in pita with the feta. You must have that, too.

I'll avoid the merits of a Buff style menu out here in Loo Loo Land but I will tell you how to blow the doors off anyone's wings this side of the Mississippi.

A) Buy the right oil- you want a commercial blend that incudes a good percentage of Beef Tallow. PM me and I'll provide you with a manufacturer who will ship it to you.

B) Use wings that have been kept above 26 degrees, or the USDA designation "Fresh". Don't buy "frozen" or "previously frozen" chicken- it tends to almost always have a tougher density when deep fried.

C) Sauce it with 1 part butter to 2 parts Lousiana Hot Sauce; Franks works but there are many others that you can substitute. I like Rooster, it's less expensive than Franks and IMO superior to it in flavor. The key to the sauce is to simply improve the heat index with something flavorful- for me a batch of sauce using a stick of butter and two of the regular bottles of hot sauce benefit from the addition of one chopped Serrano Chile and 4 or 5 chopped Thai Bird Chiles. One other thing that helps is to let the sauve sit on low heat for an hour or two- it thickens just a little and helps to stick to the wings.

Then simply avoid oversaucing the chicken and let the games begin. If they're tossed right the empty bowl/plate should not have wet sauce left over.

I'm a Bobby McGee's alum along with Kelly The Dog- I'm sure you'll see us both at your restaurant- good luck!

You need to serve a Royal Sub like John & Mary's...

Italian Sausage, Capicola, cheese (provolone), and the usual toppings (mayo, oil, vinegar, lettuce, tomato, onions).

281985[/snapback]

Its a very cruel thing you just did by mentioning John and mary's to a guy stuck out in california. A large ham sub with light mayo,vinegar and oil,..and a medium loganberry please...

I love Loganberry....there is only 1 place in town that carries it......

my 2 cents on wings....

you can mix franks, marg, with a little bbq sauce (I like open pit original)...the bbq sauce helps to keep the sauce on the wing. A little cayene pepper mixed in will add a hint of longer lasting heat, it sticks on the tongue and lips longer...

Your Pizza recipe is also key....introduce them to Pizza and Wings specials!!! Nothing better.....

Man I love wings!!!

As a Buffalo-to-CA transplant myself, and as someone with experience helping people conceptualize and launch small businesses, my two cents would be to broaden your potential market beyond those interested in Buffalo food. Maybe a broader Great Lakes focus?... with "local" specialties from not only Buffalo, but also Chicago, Cleveland, Michigan, etc.? You could organize the menu as such, and target your marketing infiltrate other "transplant" groups such discussion boards for the Bears/Bulls/WhiteSox/Cubs, Browns/Cavs/Indians, etc.

281961[/snapback]

[/quote

for the Pittsburgh transplants you could serve a Primanti Brothers sandwich