How does waiver wire work when a team claims multiple players?

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think poster are assuming that each player or each team goes through "rounds" if you will on waiver pickups.

The number of players released yesterday was over 1,000.

32 teams releasing 37 players (less a few already released).

The way it was explained to me (can't remember who or when) goes like this.

Each team gets notified of the waived players.

Teams "pick" off that list of 1,000 players they would like to sign.

The lists are submitted and IF more than 1 team "selects" the same player it is awarded to the higher ranking team.

As the season progresses, anytime there is a waiver cut the same thing happens.

...but what happens if the Browns at #1 submit waiver claims for FIVE players?....gonna try to author my senior moment question (dammit) but here goes...Browns at #1 submit 5 waiver claims.....first choice is unchallenged so they get that player....choices #2 and #5 also have waiver claims from other teams....does Cleveland go back to the end of the line for #2 or #5, or do they automatically get ALL claims?....if (questionable as usual) I explained myself clearly (COUGH), Cleveland getting ALL five would be a distinct disadvanatge to other teams with claim(s) for same player(s).....help??..........

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but what happens if the Browns at #1 submit waiver claims for FIVE players?....gonna try to author my senior moment question (dammit) but here goes...Browns at #1 submit 5 waiver claims.....first choice is unchallenged so they get that player....choices #2 and #5 also have waiver claims from other teams....does Cleveland go back to the end of the line for #2 or #5, or do they automatically get ALL claims?....if (questionable as usual) I explained myself clearly (COUGH), Cleveland getting ALL five would be a distinct disadvanatge to other teams with claim(s) for same player(s).....help??..........

Yes they get all 5.  But like Augie said the now OWN that player.

They must cut 5 players and sign the 5 the claimed.

Yes the have the advantage just like in the draft.

But it doesn't work that Cleveland gets "first dibs" then the next team, then the next team.

They all submit a claim at once.

Think of the numbers, on average each team is only getting 1 or 2 waived players that's 50 or so out of 1,000 waived.

Most teams, especially lower down the pecking order just wait and hope their guy(s) "clear" waivers and then they just contact the players agent and try to sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes they get all 5.  But like Augie said the now OWN that player.

They must cut 5 players and sign the 5 the claimed.

Yes the have the advantage just like in the draft.

But it doesn't work that Cleveland gets "first dibs" then the next team, then the next team.

They all submit a claim at once.

Think of the numbers, on average each team is only getting 1 or 2 waived players that's 50 or so out of 1,000 waived.

Most teams, especially lower down the pecking order just wait and hope their guy(s) "clear" waivers and then they just contact the players agent and try to sign him.

...thanks bud...I'm dumber than I thought (uh oh).............

If I am an NFL GM I am putting in claims for Tom Brady, Jerry Rice, Aaron Rodgers, Lawrence Taylor, any HOF just in case the option becomes available at a later date when you have first opportunity.

This logic cannot be defeated.  Don't try me, bro.