Breaking News

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me about a classic joke:

What's the hardest part about eating a vegtable?

The wheelchair

279546[/snapback]

It's not like there is some living will here. The husband wants her dead and the parents don't. She breathes on her own. She just doesn't eat on her own. The husband has something to gain from her death: million dollar settlement and the ability to marry the woman he's been living with and had kids with.

Why can't they just divorce her from her husband and have her cared for by her parents? That is what I don't understand. This is not a right to die case b/c the woman simply has not said she wants to die. We only have the husband's word that that is what she would want. The parents disagree.

It's not like there is some living will here. The husband wants her dead and the parents don't. She breathes on her own. She just doesn't eat on her own. The husband has something to gain from her death: million dollar settlement and the ability to marry the woman he's been living with and had kids with.

Why can't they just divorce her from her husband and have her cared for by her parents? That is what I don't understand. This is not a right to die case b/c the woman simply has not said she wants to die. We only have the husband's word that that is what she would want. The parents disagree.

279555[/snapback]

That makes it even worse. All this drama added onto her suffering.

279555[/snapback]

The parents are unrealistic...its been 15 years, she's not getting better. Why he won't divorce? Maybe he still does care about her and she DID say she wouldn't want to be kept alive.

The parents are unrealistic...its been 15 years, she's not getting better. Why he won't divorce? Maybe he still does care about her and she DID say she wouldn't want to be kept alive.

279561[/snapback]

I don't want to assume anything about him, but he won't get the malpractice settlement if he divorces her. Also, she got this as of the result of a eating-disorder...

Yeah, it's messed up.  Personally, I would not want to be kept alive in those circumstances.

279550[/snapback]

Perhaps I wouldn't either. However, if I was a parent and I still had hope and her husband was trying to get her killed in my mind, I would fight it pretty damn hard.

That makes it even worse.  All this drama added onto her suffering.

279560[/snapback]

If she cannot feel anything which people contend (despite the fact she responds to people in the room) how is she "suffering"? If she is a vegetable, how is she suffering? If she's a vegetable, then all of this drama doesn't do anything.

I don't want to assume anything about him, but he won't get the malpractice settlement if he divorces her. Also, she got this as of the result of a eating-disorder...

279567[/snapback]

Yeah, my understanding is that he received $300K from the lawsuit and $750K went into a trust to pay for Terri's care. According to MSNBC, he was offered $1M to step aside...

It's tough because it's clear there are many issues with the husband, but on the other hand it would be torture for her to be left in this state if it was against her wishes.

Moral of the story: no matter how young you are, get your wishes known and in writing. My wife and I didn't think about it until we were getting ready to have our first child, but we have it done now, thankfully.

My only problem is that she will be starved to death.  They should just give her a shot to help her on her way.  After all, it is illegal to starve an animal but it's ok to do it to a human!?

279589[/snapback]

If she had an eating disorder I'm sure she's use to it.

Yeah, my understanding is that he received $300K from the lawsuit and $750K went into a trust to pay for Terri's care.  According to MSNBC, he was offered $1M to step aside...

It's tough because it's clear there are many issues with the husband, but on the other hand it would be torture for her to be left in this state if it was against her wishes.

Moral of the story: no matter how young you are, get your wishes known and in writing.  My wife and I didn't think about it until we were getting ready to have our first child, but we have it done now, thankfully.

279585[/snapback]

I just think it is misleading to call this a right to die case when her wishes are not really known. It is a right to let your wife die v. a right to keep your daughter alive case.

If she cannot feel anything which people contend (despite the fact she responds to people in the room) how is she "suffering"? If she is a vegetable, how is she suffering? If she's a vegetable, then all of this drama doesn't do anything.

279578[/snapback]

I stand corrected. I'm sure she's much better off the way she is.

Hey...think about this....if she has an eating disorder, don't you think its torture for her to be force fed for 15 years?

279607[/snapback]

All I'm saying is put her down in a humane manner. We do it for friggin criminals and animals, we should do it for her.