HBO's Limited Series "Sharp Objects"

Fadingpain

Who's watching?  What do you think?

We are now through 4 episodes and it is slowly getting better.

The pace of the show is too slow; it focuses on the various character relationships more than the actual murder mystery (would prefer it the other way around), and it relies way too heavily on gimmicky flashbacks or flash forwards or fantasy sequences such that it is sometimes hard to know what the hell is going on.

Still pretty good TV though, as is the norm for HBO.

51k1fCnXenL._SL500_.jpg

Edited by Fadingpain

We had't missed an episode until Sunday night, even then we DVR'd it.  I'll watch probably tonight but to be honest the show is so depressing i found myself dreading watching it because there are literally no high points to the show at all, it's just more self abuse and then more back story of abuse, then more self abuse wrapped up in a cocoon of drinking vodka through a smart water bottle.   

The writing is good, and it's well made but i won't miss it when it's gone.  I'd much rather see a new season of American Gods.  That show (minus one episode) was fantastic. 

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

We had't missed an episode until Sunday night, even then we DVR'd it.  I'll watch probably tonight but to be honest the show is so depressing i found myself dreading watching it because there are literally no high points to the show at all, it's just more self abuse and then more back story of abuse, then more self abuse wrapped up in a cocoon of drinking vodka through a smart water bottle.   

The writing is good, and it's well made but i won't miss it when it's gone.  I'd much rather see a new season of American Gods.  That show (minus one episode) was fantastic. 

The writing and acting is really good, across the board.

But I don't disagree with most of your negative review.

It is pretty bleak.  Any theories on who the murderer is?

I have been saying from the word "go" that it is either the controlling mom who runs the town, or she is at least in on it and knows who the murderer is, but protects him/her for some reason.

I also think the murderer will prove to be a woman, largely b/c the show has gone out of its way to make it clear the killer will be a man.

Just now, Fadingpain said:

The writing and acting is really good, across the board.

But I don't disagree with most of your negative review.

It is pretty bleak.  Any theories on who the murderer is?

I have been saying from the word "go" that it is either the controlling mom who runs the town, or she is at least in on it and knows who the murderer is, but protects him/her for some reason.

I also think the murderer will prove to be a woman, largely b/c the show has gone out of its way to make it clear the killer will be a man.

I think it's the dad who listens to music on that crazy stereo.  You're right it is really pushing the male murderer down your throat and yea 90% sure it's going to end up being a woman just because...

But I'm going with the guy who could have some issues and appears to be the least threatening person on the entire show.  He doesn't sleep with the mom per their last conversation so he's free all night to go murder crazy. 

I think the stepdad is a strong contender to be the murderer as well.

There was a scene in one of the episodes where someone said the crimes are akin to rape, i.e., the perp is in need of exerting control over the victim.  So the cops should look for someone who has no control in his/her regular life.

The stepfather fits that description perfectly.  

30 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Just started episode 2 and agree with what you said.  Although I just noticed in the recap before the episode that she had the word ‘vanish’ carved into her arm...

I started out enjoying the whole thing with written words appearing in the episodes at various times, and was pausing/rewinding to read what they were showing us...but ultimately I think it's just there as candy for those who enjoy following such things.

I don't think it will have any impact on the plot, nor do I think they are trying to reveal something important to us by the words they show.

As an aside, I'm glad I don't have the compulsion to slice my skin open with a razor blade!  That is nasty.

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely could not be a cutter.   Takes a special kind of messed up to slice yourself on purpose.  I get enough of that accidentally.  I was washing a coffee cup at work yesterday and the handle broke in my hand, sliced my thumb.   

23 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Who's watching?  What do you think?

We are now through 4 episodes and it is slowly getting better.

The pace of the show is too slow;

I bailed after two episodes because it was too slow.

33 minutes ago, bbb said:

I bailed after two episodes because it was too slow.

I have been critical of the show for the same reason.

It definitely moves a bit too slowly IMO.  There is still enough there for me to see it through to the end.

What is it?  8 or 10 episodes?  

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It definitely moves a bit too slowly IMO.  There is still enough there for me to see it through to the end.

I'm not sure but this last episode I watched last night and it did not move the story forward one bit.   Stuff happened, but nothing gave you any kind of answers to anything.  

I'm starting to think the reveal is going to end up being very much a letdown.    You can only have so much buildup.   They surpassed that 2 episodes ago.   Yes she drinks, yes she self abuses, yes the little sister is kind of a B when she drinks.   Can we get to the part where something happens now and not 20 years ago yet?   

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I'm not sure but this last episode I watched last night and it did not move the story forward one bit.   Stuff happened, but nothing gave you any kind of answers to anything.  

I'm starting to think the reveal is going to end up being very much a letdown.    You can only have so much buildup.   They surpassed that 2 episodes ago.   Yes she drinks, yes she self abuses, yes the little sister is kind of a B when she drinks.   Can we get to the part where something happens now and not 20 years ago yet?   

I hear you.

The show has chosen to focus more on character development and the interpersonal relationships of the various characters than developing the actual crime plot in a traditional manner.

I wish it was just the other way around.

It's really not a traditional "who done it" show, and it suffers for it.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I hear you.

The show has chosen to focus more on character development and the interpersonal relationships of the various characters than developing the actual crime plot in a traditional manner.

I wish it was just the other way around.

It's really not a traditional "who done it" show, and it suffers for it.

Well they can do both with a little more balance

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I think it's 8.  Can't do it, either way!