Official "GO COLTS - BEAT THE PATS" thread

merlin

I sure hope Peyton and company will look upon this Thurdsday's PM's opener as a chance for "pey-back" against the Pats for the mugging their receivers took in last year's AFC Championship game. If the officials call the game the way they have been doing this pre-season, I think it will be a long night for Ty Law and the rest of the Pats' secondary.

WIth the FIsh having to play the Titans, and the Jets facing a (hopefully much-improved) Bengals squad, I see a real possibility that the Bills will come out of this weekend all alone in 1st place in the AFC East!

(BTW, ESPN analyst Merril Hoge has actually picked the Bills to win the AFC East title this year! None of their other analysts even picked them to make the playoffs ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview04/ne...tory?id=1873239 )

Correction ... Scouts, INC from ESPN Insider picks the Bills to win one of the 2 wildcard playoff berths ...

GO BILLS!

Even if he does stay a Pat, how's he going to react to the strongly enforced "defensive holding" penalty that he normally would have gotten away with in other years?  Me thinks that Ty Law will have some issues adjusting to Marvin Harrison...

20877[/snapback]

Haven't you guys learned it yet? NFL rules are not applicable in Foxboro.

I missed the memo - is the Patriots defense suddenly going to turn into the Chiefs defense because of a rule change?

It affects both sides. More room for Branch, Givens, Johnson, Watson, Graham, Brown and Patten to work with. The Pats D is still miles ahead of the Indy D.

I'd be worried if I were a Bills fan about the new rules. Troy Vincent is a physical corner, and without a semblance of a pass rush, he'll struggle.

Ty Law won't become Elvis "Toast" Patterson because of the new rule emphasis. The Pats D will still pound on Wayne, Walters, Harrison etc.

I missed the memo - is the Patriots defense suddenly going to turn into the Chiefs defense because of a rule change? 

It affects both sides.  More room for Branch, Givens, Johnson, Watson, Graham, Brown and Patten to work with.  The Pats D is still miles ahead of the Indy D.

20888[/snapback]

Yeah I agree with that.

I

It affects both sides.  More room for Branch, Givens, Johnson, Watson, Graham, Brown and Patten to work with.  The Pats D is still miles ahead of the Indy D.

20888[/snapback]

So the question is...who scares you more "with more room to work with": Harrison and the Colts WRs or the bunch of average to above average WRs the Pats field?

Give Harrison "a little room" and he has a shot to take it to the house every play.

I'm not predicting a Colts victory...well, actually, yeah I am. Colts win by 14...though the Pats will recover nicely and still win the division.

So the question is...who scares you more "with more room to work with": Harrison and the Colts WRs or the bunch of average to above average WRs the Pats field?

Give Harrison "a little room" and he has a shot to take it to the house every play.

I'm not predicting a Colts victory...well, actually, yeah I am.  Colts win by 14...though the Pats will recover nicely and still win the division.

20897[/snapback]

I'm not as worried about the Colts' passing game as I am about James and the running game. The only time the Colts moved the ball in the AFC CG was when they consistently used James. Harrison was toast in that game after Rodney Harrison and Eugene (The Hitting Machine) Wilson softened him up. :rolleyes:

Manning's a lot like Bledsoe - make him move, hit him, and he starts getting the 'ol happy feet. :unsure:

Pats are a lock IMO...

maybe in Indy they have a chance, but I think this one is over by halftime.

20921[/snapback]

I DEFINITELY like the "over 45" on this one, Rico.

And look, as much as I would love to see the Patsies lose, what I CAN tell you is that I am FIRED UP about watching the NFL return, with a prime time game, between two good teams, on a Thursday night at Beer o'clock.

Me. On the patio. Cold beer. 60" bigscreen in HDTV. Football returns. Tough to ask for more than that. A Patsy loss will be icing.

I'm not as worried about the Colts' passing game as I am about James and the running game.  The only time the Colts moved the ball in the AFC CG was when they consistently used James.  Harrison was toast in that game after Rodney Harrison and Eugene (The Hitting Machine) Wilson softened him up.  :rolleyes:

Manning's a lot like Bledsoe - make him move, hit him, and he starts getting the 'ol happy feet.  :unsure:

20913[/snapback]

I think NE loses this one. Combination of Colt's revenge (hard to think they are not pumped) and uncertainty about pass-intereference interpretation. I see Harrison getting away with more than the usual murder. :huh:

I'm not as worried about the Colts' passing game as I am about James and the running game.  The only time the Colts moved the ball in the AFC CG was when they consistently used James.  Harrison was toast in that game after Rodney Harrison and Eugene (The Hitting Machine) Wilson softened him up.  :rolleyes:

Manning's a lot like Bledsoe - make him move, hit him, and he starts getting the 'ol happy feet.  :unsure:

20913[/snapback]

That's because the Pat's DBs mugged the hell out of the Colts WR. We'll see just how much the NFL wants to make of enforcing the contact rule this Thursday. Prime time game to open the season, national audience between two of the best teams in the league. If they want to make a statement about the rule, they'll do it. If it was all just lip service, we'll find that out too. I see Belichick tellings his DBs to test the officials early, see what they're going to allow and what they're not...and we'll see how that effects the game. I'm guessing the NFL enforces the hell out of the rule on Thursday, they like offense and high scoring games because it sells. The game Thursday will send a message to defenses everywhere to lay off WRs this year which will probably result in higher scoring games...which is what the NFL (unfortunately) wants.

I think NE loses this one. Combination of Colt's revenge (hard to think they are not pumped) and uncertainty about pass-intereference interpretation. I see Harrison getting away with more than the usual murder. :rolleyes:

20927[/snapback]

You may be proven right, but I heard the same stuff when PIT came into The Razor to open '02.

The final that night was Pats 30, Steelers 14. I'm hoping for a redux. :unsure:

You may be proven right, but I heard the same stuff when PIT came into The Razor to open '02.

The final that night was Pats 30, Steelers 14.  I'm hoping for a redux.  :rolleyes:

20935[/snapback]

I agree Mike, i dont think this Colts revenge factor means that much, especially that the game is in Foxboro. If it was in Indy then maybe, crowd would be fired up, etc. I just dont like this Colts defense, I see the Pats winning.

Even if he does stay a Pat, how's he going to react to the strongly enforced "defensive holding" penalty that he normally would have gotten away with in other years?  Me thinks that Ty Law will have some issues adjusting to Marvin Harrison...

20877[/snapback]

Quotable I: “You heard it straight from the horse’s mouth. I’m not going to change the way I play. It’s been a little touchy out there, but it’s something we’re going to have to play with. They set the rules and we’re going to have to play within those rules.”

--- Patriots cornerback Ty Law on the NFL’s heightened enforcement of pass defense rules

It's going to be a veritable snowstorm of yellow flags on Thursday!

GO COLTS!

I don't like Manning's game at all, but I'll admit that my view of him is colored of him as (1) a great player on a playoff rival and (2) his likeness (in my eyes, anyway) to Bledsoe, although the Tin Manning's best years are better than The Cer... err, Drew's. :rolleyes: