Wiz

Wrong,  Scouts had Losman at 89

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/.../player?id=7843

Smith at 97

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/.../player?id=9077

and Rodgers at 98

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/.../player?id=8743

Try again

BTW 89 ranking gets you to be about the 30-35 best players in the draft.  So saying that, Losman would be a early 2nd rounder this year.

277335[/snapback]

can these rankings be compared year to year or are they subjective to the year in which they are ranked?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can these rankings be compared year to year or are they subjective to the year in which they are ranked?

277938[/snapback]

I am pretty sure they can be used to compare players from year to year. I don't think the grade a player is given is relative to any of the other players at the position who are draft eligible in that year.

I am pretty sure they can be used to compare players from year to year.  I don't think the grade a player is given is relative to any of the other players at the position who are draft eligible in that year.

277949[/snapback]

That's correct. Last year there were 5 guys at 99, but the drop off was quick and JP at 89 was about 23 or 24th. This year Rodgers at 98 is best but there are a lot of 90's players. And therefore JP would have been 31st or so.

That's correct.  Last year there were 5 guys at 99, but the drop off was quick and JP at 89 was about 23 or 24th.  This year Rodgers at 98 is best but there are a lot of 90's players.  And therefore JP would have been 31st or so.

278070[/snapback]

Just curious....per the website these grades are from, what are the grades of the top 10 QB's in the draft this year. Thanks

Just curious....per the website these grades are from, what are the grades of the top 10 QB's in the draft this year.  Thanks

278074[/snapback]

Quarterbacks

NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL GRADE FLAG COMMENT

Aaron Rodgers QB 6'2" 210 CALIFORNIA 98 B Expert's Take

Alex Smith QB 6'3" 208 UTAH 97 B Expert's Take

Jason Campbell QB 6'4" 221 AUBURN 85 Expert's Take

Charlie Frye QB 6'3" 227 AKRON 84 Expert's Take

Andrew Walter QB 6'5" 232 ARIZONA STATE 83 D Expert's Take

Kyle Orton QB 6'3" 217 PURDUE 81 Expert's Take

Derek Anderson QB 6'6" 239 OREGON STATE 79 Expert's Take

David Greene QB 6'3" 224 GEORGIA 70 Expert's Take

Dan Orlovsky QB 6'4" 229 CONNECTICUT 68 Expert's Take

Walter Washington QB 6'1" 237 TEMPLE 64 Expert's Take

Jason White QB 6'2" 220 OKLAHOMA 61 D Expert's Take

That's correct.  Last year there were 5 guys at 99, but the drop off was quick and JP at 89 was about 23 or 24th.  This year Rodgers at 98 is best but there are a lot of 90's players.  And therefore JP would have been 31st or so.

It's relative to year. Smith and Rodgers are high this year because it's a piss-poor draft class. Last year they probably would have been less than 89.

Well I have concerns as Losman had one barely winning year in college.  The top 2 guys coming out Smith was 12-0 this year.  Cal with Rogers was ranked 9th at 10-2. 

These guys both have good skills and prove it with the bullets flying.

277302[/snapback]

I like that argument. Flys in the face of reality, but who really cares about that around here?

It's relative to year.  Smith and Rodgers are high this year because it's a piss-poor draft class.  Last year they probably would have been less than 89.

278293[/snapback]

No it isn't. They are rated based on how the Scouts, Inc. expect them to do. 95-100 is projected HOF or something like that. 90-95 is future Pro Bowler. 85-90, starting quality. And so on.

No it isn't.  They are rated based on how the Scouts, Inc. expect them to do.  95-100 is projected HOF or something like that.  90-95 is future Pro Bowler.  85-90, starting quality.  And so on.

Smith and Rodgers are project HOF'ers? :w00t: Are you kidding me? These guys couldn't get arrested prior to Leinart deciding to stay in school. But we'll see. It's a lot different when you have NFL caliber talent surrounding you, than when you don't.

Quarterbacks

NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL GRADE FLAG COMMENT

Aaron Rodgers QB 6'2"  210 CALIFORNIA 98 B Expert's Take

Alex Smith QB 6'3" 208 UTAH 97 B Expert's Take

Jason Campbell QB 6'4" 221 AUBURN 85  Expert's Take

Charlie Frye QB 6'3" 227 AKRON 84  Expert's Take

Andrew Walter QB 6'5" 232 ARIZONA STATE 83 D Expert's Take

Kyle Orton QB 6'3" 217 PURDUE 81  Expert's Take

Derek Anderson QB 6'6"  239 OREGON STATE 79  Expert's Take

David Greene QB 6'3"  224 GEORGIA 70  Expert's Take

Dan Orlovsky QB 6'4" 229 CONNECTICUT 68  Expert's Take

Walter Washington QB 6'1" 237 TEMPLE 64  Expert's Take

Jason White QB 6'2"  220 OKLAHOMA 61 D Expert's Take

278137[/snapback]

Thanks for the info!

Wrong,  Scouts had Losman at 89

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/.../player?id=7843

Smith at 97

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/.../player?id=9077

and Rodgers at 98

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/.../player?id=8743

Try again

BTW 89 ranking gets you to be about the 30-35 best players in the draft.  So saying that, Losman would be a early 2nd rounder this year.

277335[/snapback]

Some of the rating is based on comparison to the draft class they are in. So you really can not compare year to year. If JP was in this years draft I bet he would go top 5 and before the others.

So reality is they haven't won, and Losman has a winning record.  :w00t:

278320[/snapback]

No, reality is "TEAMS win/lose." Not individual players. But thanks for twisting that up in a "JP-eraesque" way. :doh:

When the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan couldn't win because they weren't talented enough, that didn't make Michael Jordan a bad player.*

*ATTENTION: I am in no way comparing JP Losman to Michael Jordon. I'm simply using an example that most people can easily understand.

*ATTENTION:  I am in no way comparing JP Losman to Michael Jordon.  I'm simply using an example that most people can easily understand.

278346[/snapback]

LOL!!!

No, reality is "TEAMS win/lose."  Not individual players.  But thanks for twisting that up in a "JP-eraesque" way.  :doh:

When the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan couldn't win because they weren't talented enough, that didn't make Michael Jordan a bad player.*

*ATTENTION:  I am in no way comparing JP Losman to Michael Jordon.  I'm simply using an example that most people can easily understand.

278346[/snapback]

I know that. That has been my argument for the last 4 months. :w00t:

It is certainly too early to tell, but, so far, it looks as if TD made the right decision on getting Losman last year. 

Another thing, since when has being "cocky" been necessarily a bad thing in sports?  Few complain about TO being "too cocky" or Shaq being "too cocky".  Why is it a supposed problem ONLY with Losman?

277285[/snapback]

Well we all know that Big Ben was the stud in last year's QB class. It didn't hurt that he had an awesome running game and stifling defense to make things alot easier for him either.

JP might have something considerably similar but we'll have to wait and see if he has the mental aptitude to take this team deep into January.

This year's QB class is really ugly, I'll give TD that.  Aaron Rodgers is the only future-starter in my opinion, and even he has his problems.

Dont let the stats fool you, Alex Smith strikes me as Ty Detmer, Version 2.0.  Great college QB in a wide open system who'll flop badly in the NFL when teams figure out his tells.

277294[/snapback]

Alex smith had his pro work out yesterday and one scout said he was the best prospect he's seen since Troy Aikman. Smith is bigger, 6'3" with a stronger arm and faster than Detmer. In other words, nothing like Detmer. The system he was in was all about making great and quick reads. Which is what the NFL is all about and our QB from last year couldn't do. If anything I think he could be the next Brady. He may not be flashy, but a smart kid with good tools who's a winner. I think who ever gets him will have a real player.