Underage drinking

Mr Info

50 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I worked for the Broadway Market manager (my uncle) when I was 15 and 16 in the 70s. There was a small bar, I think across the side street on the same side of Broadway where we could sneak over for a beer. We would get served no problem. Could have been Moe and Eddies, don't remember the name.

Could have been. There were two bars on Gibson St. One (The Market Bar) was on the corner of Gibson and Sienkewicz. Moe & Eddies was in the middle of the block across from the Market.  All the buildings that were on Gibson have been torn down. In fact most of the houses in that neighborhood are gone.

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Could have been. There were two bars on Gibson St. One (The Market Bar) was on the corner of Gibson and Sienkewicz. Moe & Eddies was in the middle of the block across from the Market.  All the buildings that were on Gibson have been torn down. In fact most of the houses in that neighborhood are gone.

That was 41 years ago for me, had a lot of fun working there. Went there some years back to show my wife from Oregon where I worked as a kid but everything was so different. It used to be such a vibrant area.

I am suddenly really hungry for a beef on weck sandwich.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:26 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh.  My kid didn't want much to do with parties at her high school.  She would have groups of friends over or visit with other groups of friends, but not attend parties.

Underage binge drinking at parties was a large part of her reason.  Even if the parents were on the premises and not providing liquor or winking when it was carried in, kids would bring vodka and gin in Dasani or Fiji water bottles and drink 'til they had no idea which way was up.

My younger son would skip most of the parties. He was the BMOC as MVP and POY in several sports. After Friday night football games where he’d score multiple TD’s, he’d come home with a couple bags of ice, soak in the tub to recover faster, then we would watch local football highlights while he’d tell me about the kids on each team. Then he’d explain what happened on each highlight on his game. Then we would watch the Monk re-run from earlier that night. 

The rest of the team was out drinking beer and smoking weed (and more) around a bonfire somewhere while we did this. I guess he learned after seeing other kids go down the wrong path. 

I was SHOCKED at the number of parents who would condone the under age drinking and drug use at their homes. One family down the street even had a sister who faced criminal charges for the same thing....and they were still the house you knew it was the house where it would happen!