Training methods and NFL injuries - paging our trainers/PTs

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Given the scale of NFL operations and salaries, $100k treadmill to get your injured stars back on the field seems like chump change - Charles Clay for example, gets $281,250/game.

281 grand a game?!  Maybe he should pick up the tab for the team to 'eat a goddamn snack'.  Just like kindergarten, next week it's someone else's turn.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

I think the nightshade thing (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) is a little ridiculous. Yes, they do cause minor inflammation, but the response of the body is to overcompensate in dealing with that, so you actually end up with a net decrease in inflammation.

A lot of the other diet stuff makes sense, like no dairy, red meats, etc.

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess my question was more along the lines of, if one toured the Pats*** or the Bills training facilities, would one find a row of zero-g rehab treadmills for the use of recovering injuries?  Would one find the specialized gait analysis equipment (which I assume also needs 1:1 operation)?  Would one find all the resistance band setups and small muscle stabilizing stuff (are you familiar with that Total Body Training book)? 

Would the trainers have enough time to work 1:1 with each guy, perform a Spring assessment and customize a training plan?  Or after an injury, perform an in-depth muscle group analysis and identify which supporting muscles need strengthened?  It takes about an hour each time I've had this done.  90 guys, would need to have what, staff of 5? 10?

IOW are people going to Guerrerro in part because he's genuinely offering state-of-the-art training that they can't get at the team facilities? 

Given the scale of NFL operations and salaries, $100k treadmill to get your injured stars back on the field seems like chump change - Charles Clay for example, gets $281,250/game.  If a gait analysis setup and re-training plus a zero-gravity treadmill to rehab with would keep Benjamin and Clay on the field at higher efficiency, sounds worth it.

I hope they are.

A couple of years ago I saw an article talking about how the cowboys were the only team using ballistic stretching pregame warm-ups, which newer evidence shows that it lowers the incidence of hamstring and other large muscle injuries by like 60% compared to the old school static stretching.

They had a young trainer and team director who was up on the new info.

The cowboys injuries went way down.

Other teams have adopted this, after seeing the results.

Many older trainers are stuck in their ways.

51 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yes, but with what the Bills are now saving on not buying suits for Brandon and Whaley, and foosball tables for the players' lounge, it will be that much easier.

Haha yeah I know.

I was talking about generally in the rehab field.

No excuse for NFL teams to not have that equipment though.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's chump change, man.  Marcell Dareus will get $620,312/game from the Jags this year

Yeah but it's crazy to get owners to pay for things.

I work for a multi million dollar medical corporation, and two of our pieces of equipment are like from the 1980's, and we can't get them to buy new ones!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I think the nightshade thing (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) is a little ridiculous. Yes, they do cause minor inflammation, but the response of the body is to overcompensate in dealing with that, so you actually end up with a net decrease in inflammation.

A lot of the other diet stuff makes sense, like no dairy, red meats, etc.

That's not really true.

If something causes inflammation, then it causes inflammation.

Your body can't really "overcompensate and cause a net inflammation decrease".

Tomatoes do contain solanine (spelling) which all nightshades do, which can cause high inflammation spikes if you are sensitive to it.

They also contain large quantities of lycopene, which is a major anti-inflammatory, and they actually decrease inflammation if you are not sensitive to the solanine.

16 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

That's not really true.

If something causes inflammation, then it causes inflammation.

Your body can't really "overcompensate and cause a net inflammation decrease".

Tomatoes do contain solanine (spelling) which all nightshades do, which can cause high inflammation spikes if you are sensitive to it.

They also contain large quantities of lycopene, which is a major anti-inflammatory, and they actually decrease inflammation if you are not sensitive to the solanine.

I'm no doctor. But I read an article awhile back that quoted an "expert" who made that claim.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm no doctor. But I read an article awhile back that quoted an "expert" who made that claim.

I mean your body can technically shock itself into reducing inflammation, but this is usually by self immunosuppression, since inflammation is an immune response.

It's not good for you though, and if you force inflammation constantly it will lead to arthritic changes and long term organ damage.

Definitely not a good idea to do on the regular.