DC traffic cams are being vandalized

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

@DC Tom is this you?

Local news has been showing at least 3 different videos 

Someone isn’t happy 

No, it's not me...but I sympathize to a degree.  DC traffic enforcement is universally bull ****.

But only to a degree.  I was at the bank a few weeks ago, and a doctor (resident, by the looks of him) was at a teller window paying speeding camera tickets and bitching about how unfair they were.  And all I could think was "Have you tried...not speeding?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Can't be me... I am in the People's Republik of Illinois.

As not a big fan of over officious jerks, I kinda warmed a little to red light cams... But, I always wondered if there are ways to knock these things out.

I was wondering if anybody would launch drone attacks against them... Spray paint on lens.  Launch then from safely far away.  Could it work and enable drone operator to go scot-free?

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No, it's not me...but I sympathize to a degree.  DC traffic enforcement is universally bull ****.

But only to a degree.  I was at the bank a few weeks ago, and a doctor (resident, by the looks of him) was at a teller window paying speeding camera tickets and bitching about how unfair they were.  And all I could think was "Have you tried...not speeding?"

The simple truth of it. 

27 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

@DC Tom is this you?

Local news has been showing at least 3 different videos 

Someone isn’t happy 

I also want to point out that the mere existence of this video confirms the existence of "speed camera vandalism cameras."

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

+1

Mostly only red light cams here... Speed cams in school zones, which are good.

By my work, I wish they would put a red light cam up.  I take my life into my hands evertime I am making left out at quitting time.  People just blow the light wantonly.  Here they have to warn you where a red light cam is.  Law also says, at least a so many cars have to uss intersection daily to warn a light being put up.  The light easily beats the 10,000 car threshold... Heck if not 50k, 100k... 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I also want to point out that the mere existence of this video confirms the existence of "speed camera vandalism cameras."

Of the videos, 2 show a minivan and the other shows a pickup truck rolling past then backing up over the camera knocking it over.  

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

+1

Mostly only red light cams here... Speed cams in school zones, which are good.

By my work, I wish they would put a red light cam up.  I take my life into my hands evertime I am making left out at quitting time.  People just blow the light wantonly.  Here they have to warn you where a red light cam is.  Law also says, at least a so many cars have to uss intersection daily to warn a light being put up.  The light easily beats the 10,000 car threshold... Heck if not 50k, 100k... 

The problem I have with a lot of camera installations (red light or speed) is that they're hidden.  That doesn't deter behavior...that's an attempt to generate revenue off the behavior.

You want to deter speeding or red-light running?  Put up visible signs that warn motorists the road is monitored by cameras.  People will slow down or stop if they think they might get caught.  They will NOT slow down or stop if they don't know they're being caught until a week later.

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

5 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The problem I have with a lot of camera installations (red light or speed) is that they're hidden.  That doesn't deter behavior...that's an attempt to generate revenue off the behavior.

You want to deter speeding or red-light running?  Put up visible signs that warn motorists the road is monitored by cameras.  People will slow down or stop if they think they might get caught.  They will NOT slow down or stop if they don't know they're being caught until a week later.

I agree and DC has been caught sending phony tickets to out of state both for moving violations and parking.

I myself was given a ticket for parking violation when I was not in DC and DC stated "You are responsible for all tickets on your car even if car was taken from you without your permission."  In this case the ticket writer copied information from previous ticket with same typos and still had "handicap hanger" marked even though I stopped using it weeks earlier.

This is pure revenue and not just for DC.  Maryland does same thing and justifies cameras based on revenue figures for the cameras have to pay for cost of them in tickets.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Here in Illinois they have to.  The law was revised in 2011.  Clear warning when you approach.

Also... 2011 State law says maximum fine is $100 and can only be doubled upon no show, default.  Law says they can't tack on any court costs.

Again... Also have to do study and meet the amount of traffic threshold.

No turn on red cams are hard to beat.  But traffic cams is NFL touchdown territory. 2011 revised law is expansive.  Says... Get to that sensor and over, into intersection and you can legally clear.  I am still a Richard and slam on my brakes and back up... Again, no turn on red cut and dry. You can stop over sensor line and be good... Just don't have pedestrians crossing.

A cop has to review all the footage that the computer spits out as questionable.  That cop is "your accuser." They still send close calls out in hope the idiot just pays as "the cost of doing business" with the gov't extorters.

Really... Only way to get these things legally down is to make cost to gov't skyrocket vs. how much they pay the out of state custodian... Which means people change their driving habits, not run the lights.  I have actually seen cams come down... Too damn expensive to maintain.

That $100=$200 stipulation in the 2011 law is key.  Run the cost of doing business up by not get caught.  Fight, delay, show up in court, even if you lose.

Anyway... Put cam up by my work exit and try and influence behavior until they do and go broke.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I agree and DC has been caught sending phony tickets to out of state both for moving violations and parking.

I myself was given a ticket for parking violation when I was not in DC and DC stated "You are responsible for all tickets on your car even if car was taken from you without your permission."  In this case the ticket writer copied information from previous ticket with same typos and still had "handicap hanger" marked even though I stopped using it weeks earlier.

This is pure revenue and not just for DC.  Maryland does same thing and justifies cameras based on revenue figures for the cameras have to pay for cost of them in tickets.

DC Parking Enforcement is the absolute worst.  I've challenged tickets with evidence of electronic payment that was still active at the time a ticket was written...and their response was basically "Yes...but you still have to pay the fine, because we wrote a ticket."

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

DC Parking Enforcement is the absolute worst.  I've challenged tickets with evidence of electronic payment that was still active at the time a ticket was written...and their response was basically "Yes...but you still have to pay the fine, because we wrote a ticket."

Along with letter was letter threatening to collect fines via court (VA will not honor it) and threat to boot car.

I refused and told them I was sending copies of letters to all of the businesses with taxes circled paid to DC stating I was ending buying from businesses in DC.

I sent DC copies of all of these sales receipts as well; I had made some large purchases during last month.

I never got another letter and I never paid ticket.  My car was in DC and never booted.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oh... It is not a moving violation but a town, city, wherever ordinance violation.  So the registered owner gets ticket no matter who is driving the vehicle.

I had proof my car was elsewhere.

I also was in DC for convention and on break went by street nearby walking.

Saw a DC Parking enforcement person putting ticket on cars from out of DC and not DC cars.

Some of the cars ticket still had time on meter.  I told meter person this and response was "person will never be back in time".

Next car I took multiple pictures showing meter, car and meter person stating "I see someone falsifying tickets. Recording evidence."

The meter threatened to call a cop saying I was interfering in official business.

I told person "Call cop. Easier than a citizen arrest for racketeering."

I went to next car and waited.  Person left and I left notes on cars to contact me if they needed proof of false ticket.

Went back later with both notes and tickets removed from all cars.

My wife got 3 tix about 4-5 years ago.  She now knows what the warning signs mean.

I beat one (I am registered owner).  I claimed that she made sensor, intersection by the time it went yellow to red.  A dump truck was blocking view of light... You can see she hestitates but realized she has to clear intersection.

I lost the no turn on red.  But, I kept on getting continuances to run up the gov'ts cost of doing business.  Not my town.

The other one I just blew off.  I didn't get notice until after court date.  Bastages! 2011 law says you can accumulate 5 without them suspending your REGISTRATION.  Orland Park, Illinois got their $200, they garnished my State income tax refund... But just last year.

Funny.  I personally never got one.  I think the smoke plate cover on Jeep obscues cam?  Plate cover is technically illegal, but I claim it was OEM in 2006.  Only pulled over once, State Police officer questioned it.  He let me go when I showed him my military, Army CaCard ID... I usually don't pull that crap... But figure I give it a whirl, he was being ticky tacky and I was not in an argumentative mood, just a suck azz mood.

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Along with letter was letter threatening to collect fines via court (VA will not honor it) and threat to boot car.

I refused and told them I was sending copies of letters to all of the businesses with taxes circled paid to DC stating I was ending buying from businesses in DC.

I sent DC copies of all of these sales receipts as well; I had made some large purchases during last month.

I never got another letter and I never paid ticket.  My car was in DC and never booted.

I had proof my car was elsewhere.

How is car elsewhere and in a video/still?

The 5 tix thing is critical in law... Get a couple, change your driving habit, they do have warning signs.  Only on hook for $200-$300.  If town is desperate, thet will petition state... But that has to cost them something in admin cost.

Run it up... Great game plan Illinois, you wonder why you are going broke and people are leaving... :lol:

Like drug dealers... Kill their customer, but if people are wise, they'd jack that cost of doing biz up.

Again... I see a lot of light cams coming down.  Costs have to be more than $100 bucks if you fight a little.

About two years ago the neighboring county put speed cameras by schools and over the course of a few months generated a lot of revenue. Problem was the public uproar  led the local politicians to decide that they valued their chance of re-electon more than the extra revenue and they stopped the program.

Pretty sure I got popped by a red light camera for the first time last night. Rolling stop on a right on red. Oh well.

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

About two years ago the neighboring county put speed cameras by schools and over the course of a few months generated a lot of revenue. Problem was the public uproar  led the local politicians to decide that they valued their chance of re-electon more than the extra revenue and they stopped the program.

Pretty sure I got popped by a red light camera for the first time last night. Rolling stop on a right on red. Oh well.

Fight it, drag it out.  Not sure what your state laws are, read them.

When they send you video link to view online... Go Home Run Throwback on them...

Just jack up cost of doing business with them.

EDIT:  Was there a sign "No Right on Red" and a clear (sensor) stop line.  Here that's defined in law.  If there was, pretty hard to beat.  But only hope to get it tore down is to bleed them dry with the (many in Illinois) out-of-state contractor that is camera custodian.  Cams are $$$$ to install and maintain.

DC ones are a B word, but as a part-time resident I am torn ..we need the revenue, most of the revenue comes from "out of state" people who use all of our services, but pay nothing for them.DC has to operate like a state, but is in fact only a city..things like a DMV and prison system put a real strain on such a small entity. And DC is barred by Congress from ever invoking a commuter tax. And some of these cameras generate some real cash,,two biggest ones are this one in KSt Tunnel and the one on 295..that one is a real B word at 55.

https://wtop.com/dc/2017/09/lawmaker-looks-dc-speed-cameras-rake-big-bucks/

Always amazes me when I get in an Uber/Lyft in the District and have to tell them where the red light and speed cameras are..there is a freaking list, and if I was driving UBER I would absolutely know where every single one was located.

https://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/mpdc/publication/attachments/MPD ATEU Active Locations 03.29.2018.pdf

Wife and I have asked each other more than once how many marriages may have been wrecked by these things.Man tells his wife"i am working late at office in Tyson's" and gets a speeding ticket at 9 PM in the District.

Edited by plenzmd1