Notable QB measurements at 2018 combine.

PIZ

Notable QB measurements

Player Height Weight (lbs) Hand Size
Josh Allen 6'4-7/8" 237 10 1/8"
J.T. Barrett 6'1-2/8" 224 9 7/8"
Kurt Benkert 6'2-5/8" 218 9 4/8"
Sam Darnold 6'3-3/8" 221 9 3/8"
Luke Falk 6'3-5/8" 215 9 2/8"
Riley Ferguson 6'2-6/8" 212 9 5/8"
Lamar Jackson 6'2-2/8" 216 9 4/8"
Kyle Lauletta 6'2-5/8" 222 9 6/8"
Baker Mayfield 6'0-5/8" 214 9 2/8"
Josh Rosen 6'4" 226 9 7/8"
Mason Rudolph 6'4-1/2" 234 9 1/8"
Mike White 6'4-5/8" 224 9 4/8"

I just measured my own hand size - what I found interesting is that my right hand is 1/4" smaller than my left.  and I'm right handed.  But as a kid I lost a tiny amount of skin on the outside of my pinky - not 1/4" worth, but maybe that impacted it somehow. Just wonder how normal that is.

I heard somewhere that 9 1/2" is the magic number for NFL players. If you don't have at least 9 1/2" hands, you don't do as well, and not just at the QB position. (link below)

I suppose hand size really matters as it pertains to gripping and holding on to the ball.  The official NFL ball is 22" in circumference at the center and 11" long, Hand size has to sort of indicate where your hand is most comfortable gripping the ball, and the larger hands get further to the middle of the ball - sort of makes sense there would be a magic # - especially for a QB.   Maybe you even underinflate a ball to compensate <Cough, Brady>.

http://thesportsquotient.com/nfl/2016/3/26/does-a-quarterbacks-hand-size-really-predict-success

Also - interesting that Hue Jackson places value on hand size, and Goff is an outlier with 9" hands and seemingly having success - maybe that's why he passed on him.

EDIT - Update on Brady - that post says they aren't known but are 'enormous' - but this site claims they are under 9 1/2" at 9.38" (9 3/8)

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=4732

Edited by MTBill

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Rudolph has tiny hands for such a big dude.  Must make his wang look huge when he’s holding it.  

Unless his wang is on par with his hands :lol:

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Rudolph has tiny hands for such a big dude.  Must make his wang look huge when he’s holding it.  

Hey, hey, hey.... His hands are YUUUUGEEE. They're the YUUUGEST hands! In fact, they're the best hands anyone has ever seen. And I know hands, people call me the "hand master." Some may not know this, but hands are used to grab & hold things. Yeah, I know, crazy right? You know who doesn't have big hands? Little Rocket Man.

His hands are puny little things, that's why I call him LITTLE Rocket Man. Funny right? Some people say I'm really funny, like a lot of people, famous people...the best people. They also know my hands are big, they'll tell you. And Little Rocket Man? He's Asian. You mentioned wangs earlier...you know what they say about Asian wangs right? Two Wong's don't make a Wang. Yeah, I think that's what they say...I saw it in a fortune cookie once. I love the Chinese, it's so cool how they know the future...must be that Kung Fu and Wu Tang they do. 

Edited by BigDingus
  • Haha (+1) 2