This offseason simply sucks..

No hockey and sandwiched between two cubicles housing Viking fans giggling like school girls with every free agent grab they make.

"Oh, a low 1st round pick and a linebacker for Moss... who should we take in the first"

"We signed Buffalo's Pat Williams - then loud enough so I can't ignore them (did we thank the Bills for Winfield - he was our best player on defense last year"

"Oh man, they signed Smoot today..."

"Who should we take at safety Darius or ... blah..blah..blah"

I know we don't have as many needs, but all I get to talk about is how the Bills brought in a 7th round Guard and a Tight End I have never heard of. I console myself with the fact that outside of last seasons Dillon signing, New England was always very quiet in the offseason and still kicked everyone's butt. Maybe we are that close - I hope Losman is the real deal.

Ask them if Tice can get you some tickets.

272319[/snapback]

Now that I think about it, when time ran out on Minnesota in the 1st round of the draft a couple of years back, maybe Tice was on the phone with a ticket broker thinking he had 15 minutes to make a ticket deal instead of 15 minutes to make a pick. :blush:

Big Buffoon! :D

Funny, Redskins fans usually brag about "winning" free agency and signing all the big names.  Hows that work out for them come December?

272326[/snapback]

Exactly right. There has not been a single instance of a team signing big name free agents in the offseason and then winning a championship. Teams that draft strong and use the free agent market judiciously has proven to be a much smarter way to go.

Exactly right. There has not been a single instance of a team signing big name free agents in the offseason and then winning a championship.

272382[/snapback]

That is incorrect. Ravens won a SB after acquiring Sam Adams, Shannon Sharpe and Rod Woodson. Eagles won NFC Championship after signing Owens and Kearse. Niners signed what seemed like a dozen big names to win their last SB in 1995. Dallas overtook them by signing Deion away the next year. There are a lot of other recent instances where SB teams added big name players in the offseason and they helped them win SB titles, the most recent being Cory Dillon(not a FA).

That is incorrect.  Ravens won a SB after acquiring Sam Adams, Shannon Sharpe and Rod Woodson.  Eagles won NFC Championship after signing Owens and Kearse.  Niners signed what seemed like a dozen big names to win their last SB in 1995.  Dallas overtook them by signing Deion away the next year.  There are a lot of other recent instances where SB teams added big name players in the offseason and they helped them win SB titles, the most recent being Cory Dillon(not a FA).

272509[/snapback]

So you've cited one instance in 39 Super Bowls. Even a blind squirrell finds a nut occasionally.

The Pats won their Super Bowls by drafting well, knowing who to resign and who to cut on their own roster and signing cost effective free agents NOT by going out and signing the biggest names they could find.

So you've cited one instance in 39 Super Bowls.    Even a blind squirrell finds a nut occasionally.

The Pats won their Super Bowls by drafting well, knowing who to resign and who to cut on their own roster and signing cost effective free agents NOT by going out and signing the biggest names they could find.

272564[/snapback]

I think he came up with more than one instance. I agree this offseason does suck but you can't spend big every year.

So you've cited one instance in 39 Super Bowls.    Even a blind squirrell finds a nut occasionally.

272564[/snapback]

dude, can you count?

dude, can you count?

272583[/snapback]

Now, now...I know it's tough to see Patsy trolls who always find it necessary to spend time on a Bills board simply to tell us how great they are (as though they were in on a few plays during the year), but we're kinder. We're gentler. We should simply agree with the fact that he was given multiple examples, but can only see one.

They're patsy trolls. They can't help it. It's our job to make them feel better about themselves.

That is incorrect.  Ravens won a SB after acquiring Sam Adams, Shannon Sharpe and Rod Woodson.  Eagles won NFC Championship after signing Owens and Kearse.  Niners signed what seemed like a dozen big names to win their last SB in 1995.  Dallas overtook them by signing Deion away the next year.   There are a lot of other recent instances where SB teams added big name players in the offseason and they helped them win SB titles, the most recent being Cory Dillon(not a FA).

272509[/snapback]

There is a difference between supplementing your roster via free agency and building a team that way. The Cowboys and 49ers had been dominant teams already.....their additions simply put them over the top. The Ravens had an excellent core of players, many of whom came via the draft. The Pats have drafted well and supplemented via free agency......these are all much different than what teams like the Redskins have been trying to do recently.

It's not so bad. I'm cleaning my Bills shrine.  :doh:

I just framed my signed Takeo picture. He's smiling at me right now.  <_<

272575[/snapback]

I guess I could do something like that, I'm not all that upset at the Viking fans. They have a lot in common with the Bills when it comes to championship games. I still remember listening to all the worried conversations at work last season when they were scared that they might actually back into the big game. They knew that they would get pounded by whatever team the AFC fielded.

There was a collective sigh of relief from them when they got knocked out of the playoffs. Only a Bills fan would truely understand that mentality - joy and at the same time extreem anxiety at having your team go into the Superbowl with an 0 and 4 championship record. Neither they nor the Bills want to be the only owner of an 0 and 5 championship record.

dude, can you count?

272583[/snapback]

Yup. I count one example.

Philly doesnt count

San Fran added some players in 95 - thats an example? Who did they add?

Dallas added Deion and he put them over the top? - are you kidding me?

Any other "examples"?

Howabout - Denver added a player or 10 and then they was good.

San Fran added some players in 95 - thats an example?  Who did they add?

272658[/snapback]

He probably just assumed that most fans remember how many players they signed to make one last go at it. But since you don't remember here are a few players that picked up that season.

Norton Jr

Plummer

Dent

Sanders

So I would say that the 94-95 49ers would be a good example of a team spending big and it paying off. As for the history of the NFL, Free Agency is just a blip on the map. So to say bringing in big time players won't work is false. It has helped close teams push over the hump (49ers, Ravens) and very good teams sustain success (Pats, Dallas).