How does everyone feel about the new NFL offseason?

Virgil

Free Agency hasn't even started yet and we are already seeing trades, FA signing, and overall a lot more players changing teams than we are used to.  It started happening slowly a last year, but it feels like there's player news almost daily.  Even if the Bills weren't part of the trades to Cleveland, what the Brown's did yesterday and today was polarizing for me. 

I know there are a lot of traditionalists out there who don't like to see things change.  So I ask, how do you like this new NFL where picks and players being traded is now more probable than years past?

I personally like it and find that it gives teams a lot more flexibility with the salary cap and helps create a return on investment.  In fact, I would really like to see the NFL adjust the salary cap rules where trades don't incur a penalty.  However, like in Baseball, teams can negotiate if the teams would split the salary.  For example, if TT was owed 18 mil on his deal, we could have traded him for a 2nd round pick, but paid half his salary.  I'm not saying that's the better deal here, it's just an example.

Thoughts?

I love what's going on right now.  It's keeping the normally dull period of the NFL fairly exciting.  It seems like teams have realized paying high prices for aging vets is no longer the way to do things.  The rookie wage scale is in my opinion why this is all happening.  

• Like (+1) 1

Teams have realized that trades are an effective way to clear cap room. Not that long ago, trades were almost unheard of. Draft picks were too valuable and trading contracts was deemed too complicated. The mentality of NFL GMs has done a complete 180. 

I think people in NFL leadership have gotten to the point where they see that you can't wait 5 years to build your team. The entire league is hitting the refresh button every 3 or so years and if you wait you will get left behind. Trades are the way to quickly build and change as opposed to using FA and the draft. 

I think the Seahawks are a great example of this. They built fast and hard but then they rested and did not stay active and did not plan for the future and now they're paying the price with a seemingly harsh rebuild coming up. 

24 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think people in NFL leadership have gotten to the point where they see that you can't wait 5 years to build your team. The entire league is hitting the refresh button every 3 or so years and if you wait you will get left behind. Trades are the way to quickly build and change as opposed to using FA and the draft. 

I think the Seahawks are a great example of this. They built fast and hard but then they rested and did not stay active and did not plan for the future and now they're paying the price with a seemingly harsh rebuild coming up. 

I’m actually a little shocked at how quickly they are hitting the reset button. They aren’t that far off to me and are risking a lot. 

I said this in another thread, but I think we are about to find out what kind of coach Carroll really is 

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m actually a little shocked at how quickly they are hitting the reset button. They aren’t that far off to me and are risking a lot. 

I said this in another thread, but I think we are about to find out what kind of coach Carroll really is 

They aren't that far off, but they can't sustain what they've built. That's the problem that they're facing now. 

I am surprised Carroll is interested in riding out a rebuild. It will be intriguing to see how far they gone down the "Rebuild" rabbit hole and if we're talking about Wilson being available sometime next offseason. (I know that sounds crazy, but we will see.) 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

This could be seen coming. The Seahawks found success with a young team that featured many starters and a QB on rookie deals. At some point the bill comes due and guys get paid. The window for success with one core grouphas indeed shrunk. So you keep the QB, a couple other key players and shuffle the deck for everyone else.