Looking for a new TV, looking g for advice

mrags

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

I played a few minutes of Madden and it was awesome. No chance to play CoD yet 

If it looks awesome now Imagine what it'll look like in 4K with HDR! 

Do you have fallout 4? 

That was was the first game I played when I got my new Xbox. It blew me away, and that was only in 1080p. I can't even imagine what it'll look like in 4K. 

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

If it looks awesome now Imagine what it'll look like in 4K with HDR! 

Do you have fallout 4? 

That was was the first game I played when I got my new Xbox. It blew me away, and that was only in 1080p. I can't even imagine what it'll look like in 4K. 

No I don’t. The only games I play are Madden, COD, and GTA

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Wait until you play Madden on the PS4Pro - huge upgrade. Horizon Zero Dawn (fun game and good story as well) is just amazing  on that setup...

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Wait until you play Madden on the PS4Pro - huge upgrade. Horizon Zero Dawn (fun game and good story as well) is just amazing  on that setup...

Horizon zero dawn is one of the main reasons I decided to buy a PS4 when I had a relatively new Xbox one. I wasn't disappointed. One of my favorite games ever. 

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Youre missing out on a lot of good games! lol

Edited by BillsFan4

I seriously need sunglasses to watch this thing. I’m telling you, if you wanted bright, this is it. Wow. Lights up my whole room. I guess it helps it’s 75” and covers about a quarter of my wall. Light from everywhere. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Horizon zero dawn is one of the main reasons I decided to buy a PS4 when I had a relatively new Xbox one. I wasn't disappointed. One of my favorite games ever. 

Your missing out on a lot of good games! lol

I just don’t really want to get into anything else at all. Tried Battlefield 1 and didn’t like that either. Same with unchartered 

Played a little bit of COD today in the new TV. Man we’re the graffix awesome. So much better clarity. I was able to see players from much farther when I couldn’t see them before. I haven’t played in a while and boy was I rusty,  but I enjoyed playing regardless 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/1/2018 at 2:31 PM, mrags said:

Played a little bit of COD today in the new TV. Man we’re the graffix awesome. So much better clarity. I was able to see players from much farther when I couldn’t see them before. I haven’t played in a while and boy was I rusty,  but I enjoyed playing regardless 

Have you tried a 4k movie yet?

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Have you tried a 4k movie yet?

I watched Baby Driver last night. Was pretty good. But I’ll say this, the other day I was flipping through hbo channels to see what was in and Warcraft was on. Boy was that about the most incredible picture quality I’ve ever seen on a TV. It looked like it was real. 

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

I watched Baby Driver last night. Was pretty good. But I’ll say this, the other day I was flipping through hbo channels to see what was in and Warcraft was on. Boy was that about the most incredible picture quality I’ve ever seen on a TV. It looked like it was real. 

Oh I haven't checked that out yet....

Deadpool, Guardians 2 are great as far as visuals with CGI. The Revenant, might be the most real move I have ever watched - feels like you are actually in the movie and in the wilderness...

On 3/2/2018 at 8:27 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Oh I haven't checked that out yet....

Deadpool, Guardians 2 are great as far as visuals with CGI. The Revenant, might be the most real move I have ever watched - feels like you are actually in the movie and in the wilderness...

Ok. So I’ve found a few flaws that are bothering me about the TV and make me rethink things. 

So, the other night right before bed, I decided I wanted to see what football was going to look like on the new set. So I opened up YouTube and searched for some 2017 highlights. 

Quickly I noticed a aura like bubble around anyone running around (seemed to go away after the video buffered a little) but what did not go away is when the ball is thrown. Once the ball leaves the fingertips of the QB, it almost disappears completely. When it is visible it is almost like a shadow, shifting across the screen like the processing is trying to catch up with the play. 

Now.... I know that because it is YouTube, it is most likely the reason why it’s an issue. But with there being no actual football on right now I’m getting nervous. There’s a replay of a game coming up on NFL network this week. I’m recording it and hoping it shows that I’m worried about nothing. 

But with all that said, I can’t stop thinking the Z9D is a significantly better set and I should bite the bullet and return this one for the Z9D. Another thing I found out is that of the 4 hdmi inputs on this TV, only 2 of them are 4K. 

Between that, the processor, and the better picture quality I’m really thinking about changing this thing up. 

Whats your thoughts? 

Edited by mrags

11 hours ago, mrags said:

Ok. So I’ve found a few flaws that are bothering me about the TV and make me rethink things. 

So, the other night right before bed, I decided I wanted to see what football was going to look like on the new set. So I opened up YouTube and searched for some 2017 highlights. 

Quickly I noticed a aura like bubble around anyone running around (seemed to go away after the video buffered a little) but what did not go away is when the ball is thrown. Once the ball leaves the fingertips of the QB, it almost disappears completely. When it is visible it is almost like a shadow, shifting across the screen like the processing is trying to catch up with the play. 

Now.... I know that because it is YouTube, it is most likely the reason why it’s an issue. But with there being no actual football on right now I’m getting nervous. There’s a replay of a game coming up on NFL network this week. I’m recording it and hoping it shows that I’m worried about nothing. 

But with all that said, I can’t stop thinking the Z9D is a significantly better set and I should bite the bullet and return this one for the Z9D. Another thing I found out is that of the 4 hdmi inputs on this TV, only 2 of them are 4K. 

Between that, the processor, and the better picture quality I’m really thinking about changing this thing up. 

Whats your thoughts? 

Sorry for the wall of text :) 

Wow no ****. You are going down a rabbit hole that drove me to spending a ton of money and saying - F it. This is one area where I did spend quite a bit of time looking at between OLED and the LED/LCD sets.  All sets and technology have their own problems right now - there is nothing perfected yet; so it comes down to what is "right" (you can live with) for you. Motion on the LG OLEDs are not as good and they aren't nearly as bright as the LED/LCD sets, which takes away from HDR a bit IMO and watching when the sun is out (My TV is in a living room and not a cave). The positive is that there is zero blooming and haloing (which is what you are seeing) and the deep blacks are well black as black can be. With the local dimming or FALD on the LED/LCDs you will have haloing/blooming going on and that is based on the number of zones you have, but man is the picture way brighter and more stunning IMO. They key is the number of zones which helps reduce this issue and why I felt comfortable with a Z9 over every other non-OLED TV as you will see below.

Forbes review of the 900e:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/05/08/sony-xbr-65x900e-kd-65xe9005-4k-tv-review-great-pictures-without-breaking-the-bank/#4fbd772313e6

In fact, Sony’s new X900E range (known as the XE9005 range in the UK) goes further than just using a direct LED lighting system; it also offers local dimming, where 20 separate LED zones can output different light levels independently of each other, to suit the demands of the picture. Admittedly 20 is far from a ground-breaking number of dimming zones by today’s standards. But it’s better than nothing and, as we’ll see, it’s enough to help the 65-inch 65X900E we’re looking at here deliver a mostly very impressive picture.

As you’d expect these days, the 65X900E partners its direct-lighting with high dynamic range (HDR) capabilities and a native 4K resolution, while picture processing comes courtesy of Sony’s previously impressive X1 chipset.

This chipset is not as powerful as the X1 Extreme one found in Sony’s step-up X930E, Z9D and OLED A1E models; it doesn’t carry a dual database system for improved HD-to-4K upscaling, and can’t have Dolby Vision HDR support added via a future firmware update. It’s still, though, got more going on than most TV processing systems.

In particular, it drives the local dimming system; Sony’s Triluminos technology for delivering a wider and more subtle color range; and Sony’s Super Bit Mapping feature for tackling HDR color banding problems.

To be clear, faint backlight haloing can appear for a good few centimeters around the most extreme bright highlights (there are only 20 dimming zones, after all). Occasionally, too, this light blooming distractingly encroaches into the black bars you get above and below very wide aspect ratio images, and it also becomes far more pronounced if you have to watch the image from a viewing angle of more than around 25 degrees.

Rtings on local dimming:

The local dimming feature is average on the Sony X900E. When set side by side with last year X930D, it is clearly an upgrade visually, and we recommend it for normal viewing. When set to maximum it can sometimes feel a bit aggressive. If you visually see that it too aggressive, you can set it to medium or low.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

For comparison here is the 930e forbes review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/02/28/sony-xbr-55x930e-kdl-55xe9305-4k-tv-review-blaze-of-glory/#47d46d6e42f1

Rtings on local dimming:

The local dimming feature of the X930E works surprisingly well for an edge-lit TV. Blooming still happens when there is a very bright highlight, but it looks much better than on the 2016 X930D when compared side by side, even though the X930E is much brighter. The local dimming reacts really fast and you don't really see the changing of zones when the small white dot is moving fast.

When compared to the X900E, a full array backlight TV with local dimming, the X930E local dimming feels more refined and in the end, the result looks a bit better.

and finally the z9d

Consumer Reports:

The big question for Consumer Reports: Would this $6,000 LCD TV beat out the half-dozen LG OLED models that currently top Consumer Reports TV ratings?

After completing our full testing of the 65-inch Sony XBR-65Z9D, we can say that it's among the best TVs we've ever tested.

All LCD TVs require a separate backlight, which uses LEDs to illuminate the pixels in the screen. And there's always a certain amount of light leaking from the backlight. This can result in uneven brightness across the screen, and black tones that look somewhat gray. 

Many LCD TVs these days try to improve their blacks by offering degrees of local dimming, which can dim or brighten groups of LEDs in the backlight. Sony's new Backlight Master Drive technology takes this a step further. First, the Z-series models use a full-array backlight, with LEDs arranged across the entire back panel of the TV. That's different from most TVs, which use edge LED backlights, where the LEDs are placed along the sides or across the top and/or bottom of the TV. Full-array backlights are also used in some other premium sets, including the Sony X940D-series models, the Samsung flagship KS9800-series sets, and many Vizio models. What happens next is the unique part. In Sony's Backlight Master Drive, every single one of the LEDs can be controlled separately. Just about every other LCD TV we've ever tested groups a number of LEDs into a zone that can be dimmed or illuminated. Sony says it uses more LEDs than its competitors (it won't reveal how many), and each of the LEDs has a more precise, narrowly focused beam. That allows for brighter images and less light leakage, so there is less "blooming"—the halolike effect you often see around brighter images on TVs that use local dimming.

When it comes to black levels, Sony is trying to compete with OLED TVs, which use a different technology. These TVs have pixels that give off their own light. Each pixel in an OLED TV can be shut off, so you get nearly perfect blacks—a nighttime sky or shadowy corner can look much inkier and more realistic than what you'd see on a typical LCD.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/is-the-6000-dollar-sony-tv-really-a-tech-breakthrough/

Rtings Local Dimming:

The Sony Z9D has an excellent local dimming feature. In fact it is one of the best that we have tested yet, as it easily outperformed the Vizio P Series 2016 in a side by side comparison, which was the LED TV with the highest local dimming score in 2016.

The large number of dimming zones really sets the Z9D apart from other local dimming TVs, as blooming is very limited, even when a very bright highlight is displayed on the screen. The reaction time is also very fast, as the zone transitions are smooth when following the moving highlight in our test video.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d

(My note if you look around there is no real number for the number of zones in the z9d- many claim somewhere over 700 and a bit past 1,000)

Forbes review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/09/30/sony-xbr-65z9d-kd-65zd9-review-tv-of-the-year/#7d54549b65c9

Check out 10k's post when he calibrated the tv in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2545769-official-sony-xbr-65z9d-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-please-88.html

With the z9 there are 4-4k HDMI inputs, but only 2 support HDR (Which is fine (My Oppo and my PS4 Pro)...Sunday Ticket through the PS4 Pro on this set was amazing...

Edited by Reed83HOF

52 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sorry for the wall of text :) 

Wow no ****. You are going down a rabbit hole that drove me to spending a ton of money and saying - F it. This is one area where I did spend quite a bit of time looking at between OLED and the LED/LCD sets.  All sets and technology have their own problems right now - there is nothing perfected yet; so it comes down to what is "right" (you can live with) for you. Motion on the LG OLEDs are not as good and they aren't nearly as bright as the LED/LCD sets, which takes away from HDR a bit IMO and watching when the sun is out (My TV is in a living room and not a cave). The positive is that there is zero blooming and haloing (which is what you are seeing) and the deep blacks are well black as black can be. With the local dimming or FALD on the LED/LCDs you will have haloing/blooming going on and that is based on the number of zones you have, but man is the picture way brighter and more stunning IMO. They key is the number of zones which helps reduce this issue and why I felt comfortable with a Z9 over every other non-OLED TV as you will see below.

Forbes review of the 900e:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/05/08/sony-xbr-65x900e-kd-65xe9005-4k-tv-review-great-pictures-without-breaking-the-bank/#4fbd772313e6

In fact, Sony’s new X900E range (known as the XE9005 range in the UK) goes further than just using a direct LED lighting system; it also offers local dimming, where 20 separate LED zones can output different light levels independently of each other, to suit the demands of the picture. Admittedly 20 is far from a ground-breaking number of dimming zones by today’s standards. But it’s better than nothing and, as we’ll see, it’s enough to help the 65-inch 65X900E we’re looking at here deliver a mostly very impressive picture.

As you’d expect these days, the 65X900E partners its direct-lighting with high dynamic range (HDR) capabilities and a native 4K resolution, while picture processing comes courtesy of Sony’s previously impressive X1 chipset.

This chipset is not as powerful as the X1 Extreme one found in Sony’s step-up X930E, Z9D and OLED A1E models; it doesn’t carry a dual database system for improved HD-to-4K upscaling, and can’t have Dolby Vision HDR support added via a future firmware update. It’s still, though, got more going on than most TV processing systems.

In particular, it drives the local dimming system; Sony’s Triluminos technology for delivering a wider and more subtle color range; and Sony’s Super Bit Mapping feature for tackling HDR color banding problems.

To be clear, faint backlight haloing can appear for a good few centimeters around the most extreme bright highlights (there are only 20 dimming zones, after all). Occasionally, too, this light blooming distractingly encroaches into the black bars you get above and below very wide aspect ratio images, and it also becomes far more pronounced if you have to watch the image from a viewing angle of more than around 25 degrees.

Rtings on local dimming:

The local dimming feature is average on the Sony X900E. When set side by side with last year X930D, it is clearly an upgrade visually, and we recommend it for normal viewing. When set to maximum it can sometimes feel a bit aggressive. If you visually see that it too aggressive, you can set it to medium or low.

For comparison here is the 930e forbes review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/02/28/sony-xbr-55x930e-kdl-55xe9305-4k-tv-review-blaze-of-glory/#47d46d6e42f1

Rtings on local dimming:

The local dimming feature of the X930E works surprisingly well for an edge-lit TV. Blooming still happens when there is a very bright highlight, but it looks much better than on the 2016 X930D when compared side by side, even though the X930E is much brighter. The local dimming reacts really fast and you don't really see the changing of zones when the small white dot is moving fast.

When compared to the X900E, a full array backlight TV with local dimming, the X930E local dimming feels more refined and in the end, the result looks a bit better.

and finally the z9d

Consumer Reports:

The big question for Consumer Reports: Would this $6,000 LCD TV beat out the half-dozen LG OLED models that currently top Consumer Reports TV ratings?

After completing our full testing of the 65-inch Sony XBR-65Z9D, we can say that it's among the best TVs we've ever tested.

All LCD TVs require a separate backlight, which uses LEDs to illuminate the pixels in the screen. And there's always a certain amount of light leaking from the backlight. This can result in uneven brightness across the screen, and black tones that look somewhat gray. 

Many LCD TVs these days try to improve their blacks by offering degrees of local dimming, which can dim or brighten groups of LEDs in the backlight. Sony's new Backlight Master Drive technology takes this a step further. First, the Z-series models use a full-array backlight, with LEDs arranged across the entire back panel of the TV. That's different from most TVs, which use edge LED backlights, where the LEDs are placed along the sides or across the top and/or bottom of the TV. Full-array backlights are also used in some other premium sets, including the Sony X940D-series models, the Samsung flagship KS9800-series sets, and many Vizio models. What happens next is the unique part. In Sony's Backlight Master Drive, every single one of the LEDs can be controlled separately. Just about every other LCD TV we've ever tested groups a number of LEDs into a zone that can be dimmed or illuminated. Sony says it uses more LEDs than its competitors (it won't reveal how many), and each of the LEDs has a more precise, narrowly focused beam. That allows for brighter images and less light leakage, so there is less "blooming"—the halolike effect you often see around brighter images on TVs that use local dimming.

When it comes to black levels, Sony is trying to compete with OLED TVs, which use a different technology. These TVs have pixels that give off their own light. Each pixel in an OLED TV can be shut off, so you get nearly perfect blacks—a nighttime sky or shadowy corner can look much inkier and more realistic than what you'd see on a typical LCD.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/is-the-6000-dollar-sony-tv-really-a-tech-breakthrough/

Rtings Local Dimming:

The Sony Z9D has an excellent local dimming feature. In fact it is one of the best that we have tested yet, as it easily outperformed the Vizio P Series 2016 in a side by side comparison, which was the LED TV with the highest local dimming score in 2016.

The large number of dimming zones really sets the Z9D apart from other local dimming TVs, as blooming is very limited, even when a very bright highlight is displayed on the screen. The reaction time is also very fast, as the zone transitions are smooth when following the moving highlight in our test video.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d

(My note if you look around there is no real number for the number of zones in the z9d- many claim somewhere over 700)

Forbes review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/09/30/sony-xbr-65z9d-kd-65zd9-review-tv-of-the-year/#7d54549b65c9

Check out 10k's post when he calibrated the tv in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2545769-official-sony-xbr-65z9d-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-please-88.html

With the z9 there are 4-4k HDMI inputs, but only 2 support HDR (Which is fine (My Oppo and my PS4 Pro)...Sunday Ticket through the PS4 Pro on this set was amazing...

I’m recording a reply of a game today. In fact I think it starts in about an hour. If everything looks good I’m going to keep the tv. If it doesn’t and I cannot mess with the adjustments to make it look better I’ll be taking this one back and getting something else. At that point I’ll be looking at either the 940e, Z9D, or A1 oled. 

Im really hoping it looks ok but now that I’ve noticed this issue I am nitpicking everything about it. Your right, it’s a huge rabbit hole and there’s no real end and every tv has its ups and downs 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I’m recording a reply of a game today. In fact I think it starts in about an hour. If everything looks good I’m going to keep the tv. If it doesn’t and I cannot mess with the adjustments to make it look better I’ll be taking this one back and getting something else. At that point I’ll be looking at either the 940e, Z9D, or A1 oled. 

Im really hoping it looks ok but now that I’ve noticed this issue I am nitpicking everything about it. Your right, it’s a huge rabbit hole and there’s no real end and every tv has its ups and downs 

I looked at everything for a month and a half before I pulled the trigger and really focused on what I could live with and what I couldn't live with...Going into this I was focused on an OLED (wanted one for a few years) since I knew blooming & halos would drive me crazy. Once I started looking the Z9 won. I was intrigued by the 930e/940e; but they weren't upgrades from the Z9. With the A1, there was no way I was waiting until it was released...

Btw -What city do you live in?

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I looked at everything for a month and a half before I pulled the trigger and really focused on what I could live with and what I couldn't live with...Going into this I was focused on an OLED (wanted one for a few years) since I knew blooming & halos would drive me crazy. Once I started looking the Z9 won. I was intrigued by the 930e/940e; but they weren't upgrades from the Z9. With the A1, there was no way I was waiting until it was released...

Btw -What city do you live in?

I was doing so much research on watching videos, reading reviews it was making my mind numb. In the end I went to Best Buy to look at the few sets side by side and that’s why I chose the 900e. Because based on price and qualify from what I saw, they were close enough to not justify spending an extra $1000-1500. But now that the 900 is sitting in my living room and it’s lookong great at times, things like watching football and I can’t see the ball when it’s in the air is an issue. If it wasn’t for that I could live with it. But that’s a big issue. 

I live in Lancaster 

Edited by mrags

24 minutes ago, mrags said:

I was doing so much research on watching videos, reading reviews it was making my mind numb. In the end I went to Best Buy to look at the few sets side by side and that’s why I chose the 900e. Because based on price and qualify from what I saw, they were close enough to not justify spending an extra $1000-1500. But now that the 900 is sitting in my living room and it’s lookong great at times, things like watching football and I can’t see the ball when it’s in the air is an issue. If it wasn’t for that I could live with it. But that’s a big issue. 

I live in Lancaster 

I hear you man, I was freaking out spending $$$$ like this. Still can't believe what I plunked down, but I don't regret it at all...

I also recommend this (I can lend it to you btw):

https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-Benchmark-Calibration-Disc/dp/B00CKWI13O

I am assuming Lancaster, CA -if so and you want to take a trip down the 5 to LA you can come look and check out mine....If it's PA, well that is a bit of a drive :) 

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I hear you man, I was freaking out spending $$$$ like this. Still can't believe what I plunked down, but I don't regret it at all...

I also recommend this (I can lend it to you btw):

https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-Benchmark-Calibration-Disc/dp/B00CKWI13O

I am assuming Lancaster, CA -if so and you want to take a trip down the 5 to LA you can come look and check out mine....If it's PA, well that is a bit of a drive :) 

Actually it’s Lancaster NY. Suburb of Buffalo. 

Thanks for the offer. Maybe I’ll just buy one on my own. How does it work? 

Edited by mrags

23 minutes ago, mrags said:

Actually it’s Lancaster NY. Suburb of Buffalo. 

Thanks for the offer. Maybe I’ll just buy one on my own. How does it work? 

LOL I forgot about over there as well!

It's very easy to use, you put the BluRay in and it shows you test patterns for red, blue, green, white black , gamma etc. and tells you what you should be able to see. This green box should be the same color as this green box, repeat with red, blue; the white should look like this, etc. It will help dial in the colors, brightness and such so you can calibrate it close enough without having to spend a **** ton of money on a professional calibration set up. Very easy...

8 hours ago, mrags said:

How does it look?

27 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

How does it look?

Not nearly as bad as the YouTube video was. The YouTube video seemed like every single pass. On this game on DTV it feels like any deep bombshell that have a lot of loft and velocity, and any short throws that are lasers. 

My buddy has the 930e and I had him record this game so that I can watch his as well. Oddly he said yesterday that he’s never had any issues but now he’s saying similar things but he believes it’s when the ball is thrown up deep you lose it in the lights. I think he is now ruined with his tv too. 

Now im gonna think about the oled again because they are awesome. Even though the burn in scares the piss out of me. 

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

Not nearly as bad as the YouTube video was. The YouTube video seemed like every single pass. On this game on DTV it feels like any deep bombshell that have a lot of loft and velocity, and any short throws that are lasers. 

My buddy has the 930e and I had him record this game so that I can watch his as well. Oddly he said yesterday that he’s never had any issues but now he’s saying similar things but he believes it’s when the ball is thrown up deep you lose it in the lights. I think he is now ruined with his tv too. 

Now im gonna think about the oled again because they are awesome. Even though the burn in scares the piss out of me. 

The problem is you both now see this forever....I did check on youtube at least and have no such issues on this set fwiw...I'm watching the Steelers Ravens reply on NFLN from this season, looks picture perfect....no ball tracking issues or bloom/haloing at all...