Ranking of Realistic Veteran QB Options

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Bring Fitz back for 2 years as a place holder or back up and maybe be up to take Darnold or Rosen.

Two months ago you said if we made the playoffs you'd cut Hotrod some slack and even support bringing him back this year.  Now you want to bring in Fitz? :w00t:  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

59 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Two months ago you said if we made the playoffs you'd cut Hotrod some slack and even support bringing him back this year.  Now you want to bring in Fitz? :w00t:  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

There is no smack talk about Tyrod. I just feel the team has made it clear they aren’t interested in him being here. If he’s back he’s back. I’m good either way

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is no smack talk about Tyrod. I just feel the team has made it clear they aren’t interested in him being here. If he’s back he’s back. I’m good either way

Cool.

I really have no idea if they want Hotrod back or not. Its all conjecture and tea leaves at this point. We'll know a lot more next month.

8 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Swing for the fences,  or continue with the Cassels or Kolbs of the world.  Ya want to have a shot a at a return to glory? Acquire an elite qb. Since no one is giving their away find the one you like the most and take him. If not, unless everything else lines up for a perfect season we are right where we have been. Unless you think 6-10, -9-7 seasons are fun..

Again with the false choice.  Either you risk everything in the off chance you draft the next Peyton Manning, or you are for mediocrity and that's all you're gonna get.

You'd think this years final four and SB MVP would call this theory into question.  Tommy, Bortles, Keenum, and Foles (SB MVP).

I think maybe "Franchise QB" is perhaps soon to be a thing of the past anyway.  Where are they gonna come from?  All of the ones people mention, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan, Tommy, Big Ben are all pushing 40 or beyond.  There are only 3 under 30 and they're all turn 30 very soon.  Luck (if he can still play), Cam, and Russell Wilson. 

And I don't think 6-10 season are fun, but odds are really good if you trade up and pick a QB that's what you'll get.  9-7 this year was fun however.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Again with the false choice.  Either you risk everything in the off chance you draft the next Peyton Manning, or you are for mediocrity and that's all you're gonna get.

You'd think this years final four and SB MVP would call this theory into question.  Tommy, Bortles, Keenum, and Foles (SB MVP).

I think maybe "Franchise QB" is perhaps soon to be a thing of the past anyway.  Where are they gonna come from?  All of the ones people mention, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan, Tommy, Big Ben are all pushing 40 or beyond.  There are only 3 under 30 and they're all turn 30 very soon.  Luck (if he can still play), Cam, and Russell Wilson. 

And I don't think 6-10 season are fun, but odds are really good if you trade up and pick a QB that's what you'll get.  9-7 this year was fun however.

So why even try? 

What WOULD be fun is drafting a guy who turns out to Peytonesq.

Gotta be in it to win it. 

The past has been so so and the record has reflected that. 

Again, I'm not even sure how this is an argument?

Just now, gobills1212 said:

So why even try? 

What WOULD be fun is drafting a guy who turns out to Peytonesq.

Gotta be in it to win it. 

The past has been so so and the record has reflected that. 

Again, I'm not even sure how this is an argument?

My only point was that you don't have to trade up to a top 3 spot in order to get the next Peyton Manning to get to and win a super bowl.  I would rather draft someone if someone good is there we can get.  In the meantime also get another Free agent and keep Hotrod.  No sense putting all your eggs in one basket.  Seattle didn't do that and they ended up with Russell Wilson.  Minnesota didn't do that yet they have 3 quality QBs.

Why tie yourself to only one method of getting the QB.  Leave no stone un turned.  Don't assume a back up is not good because he's not a starter.  Don't assume you can't sign someone better than what we have.  Don't assume the only way to get there is by a top 3 draft pick.

Drafting the next Peyton Manning would be awesome.  

I'm not saying don't try.  Just don't bet the ranch on a wing and a prayer.  That's drought thinking.  We're now in the post draft era and it's about winning NOW.

On 2/22/2018 at 7:01 PM, reddogblitz said:

My only point was that you don't have to trade up to a top 3 spot in order to get the next Peyton Manning to get to and win a super bowl.  I would rather draft someone if someone good is there we can get.  In the meantime also get another Free agent and keep Hotrod.  No sense putting all your eggs in one basket.  Seattle didn't do that and they ended up with Russell Wilson.  Minnesota didn't do that yet they have 3 quality QBs.

Why tie yourself to only one method of getting the QB.  Leave no stone un turned.  Don't assume a back up is not good because he's not a starter.  Don't assume you can't sign someone better than what we have.  Don't assume the only way to get there is by a top 3 draft pick.

Drafting the next Peyton Manning would be awesome.  

I'm not saying don't try.  Just don't bet the ranch on a wing and a prayer.  That's drought thinking.  We're now in the post draft era and it's about winning NOW.

Agree to disagree I guess. You say the above is drought thinking, but it was never tried once. The year they drafted JP - things would have been different had they have been able to get up the board for Ben. EJs year is just a suck hole for qbs and better forgotten. 

The other years? Plug and play, giving guys shots who hadn't previously gotten them, giving guys 2nd chances,  essentially trying everything besides trying to get up to land a blue chip qb.

To me, drought thinking is getting Keenum and being satisfied. I'm sick of guys who might be competent if they are in the right system (obviously this always helps but the great ones aren't as affected by it) or the team around them brings them up a notch. 

Non drought thinking is striving for excellence and actually doing something about it. Wanting more than just ok. Could a Rosen or Darnold miss? Sure. If they do - well, then put in your retread or backup getting his shot. At least you gave it a shot. There will always be a McCarron you can chase or an Orton or Cassel you can plug. Not always the case with a rookie who could achieve greatness...

This Wilson or Cousins stuff... If plucking mid rd guys who rise to excellence were so easy, everyone wld do it and no one wld waste a high pick on a qb. It's the same as your Favre and Brady argument. Sure, there are exceptions, but I'd rather not keep taking flyers hoping the 1 in 1000 happens. Sounds like a lot of loosing football to me..

Edited by gobills1212

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917668/article/vikings-intend-to-make-strong-push-for-kirk-cousins

Ha! Always felt Minny was the odds on favorite to attract Cousins. He wants to win and Minny offered the best chance. He wants to get paid and Minny's cap situation is good. Also, Zimmer was never as much a fan of Keenum as others.