Travis to the Colts?

Tipster19

With Manning and Harrison locked up and having other offensive firepower, you'd have to think that their defense is where the rest of their cap money will go. The Edge will command big $$$ and , believe me I live in SW Florida, wants to play very badly in Florida. Miami in particular. The Colts will be drafting late in the 2nd and it would be a mild investment for James replacement. It could be something that Polian would consider.

With two 2nd rders and apparently plenty of cap room, it looks to be a very exciting free agency again. I'm expecting TD to be either trading for and/or signing some big time talent. If he keeps all of the draft picks then we'll be getting some great prospects. Hopefully this year we'll be adding our last few pieces that we need for a good, strong run for and in the post season. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to draft another QB with a mid to late rd pickeither. Believe in it or not but Losman will be our starter, Bledsoe is gone and if Matthews doesn't stay, we'll be needing another veteran QB which we'll get in FA. The Bills should at least try to develope another young prospect at QB for insurance for the future. They would have a 1 to 2 year window for this.

With Manning and Harrison locked up and having other offensive firepower, you'd have to think that their defense is where the rest of their cap money will go. The Edge will command big $$$ and , believe me I live in SW Florida, wants to play very badly in Florida. Miami in particular. The Colts will be drafting late in the 2nd and it would be a mild investment for James replacement. It could be something that Polian would consider.

With two 2nd rders and apparently plenty of cap room, it looks to be a very exciting free agency again. I'm expecting TD to be either trading for and/or signing some big time talent. If he keeps all of the draft picks then we'll be getting some great prospects. Hopefully this year we'll be adding our last few pieces that we need for a good, strong run for and in the post season. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to draft another QB with a mid to late rd pickeither. Believe in it or not but Losman will be our starter, Bledsoe is gone and if Matthews doesn't stay, we'll be needing another veteran QB which we'll get in FA. The Bills should at least try to develope another young prospect at QB for insurance for the future. They would have a 1 to 2 year window for this.

238000[/snapback]

Travis Henry has hands of stone and wouldn't fit into their pass offense!!!

Travis Henry would be a very bad fit on the Colts offense. Manning is their franchise player, and Henry, unlike James, cannot/will not block. On a simplified Bills offense, he was unable to run correct pass paterns. There is NO way he has the brain to remember the complicated Colts playbook.

I see him as a better fit on the Steelers. He could run straight ahead behind their powerful, deep offensive line. It is a shame, because I cant imagine TD doing business with them.

It makes me laugh that everybody NOW says TH has no value. Last preseason I was dying to trade TH and got bashed for it. But I never thought the guy was garbage. I just wanted to try to get the best value for him because he didn't seem to thrilled about the WM pick. C'mon, the guy ran for over 1300 yds a couple of times. What, did he use smoke-n-mirrors? There is other RBs on their roster who coud be options for the pass offense. Rhodes, R. Williams and Mungroe all provided input at one time or another. If they could sign another RB that's the second coming of James, it would be similar $$$. In that case, why wouldn't they just resign James? The point was in reference to not having the dollars to pay for a blue chipper and address their OTHER big needs on defense. I'm sure that they could hide some of TH's shortcomings on such a strong offense. TH would be quite a reasonable AND serviceable RB. Throw in some possible familiar factors like Polian and Manning and it just seems like it could be a possibility.

• 4 weeks later...

Edge James to Miami for their 2nd and then the Colts trade us that 2nd rounder for Henry.

Am I crazy or just tired?

Miami has no 2nd round pick this year.....................hmmmmmmmm?

Edited by Frez

There's no way that Travis' stock is on par with Edge. . . Indy would need more incentive than that, regardless of cap implications too.

268963[/snapback]

I just think that Henry would be an excellent fit for Peyton Manning and the Colts.

I want to revive and amend this post with a different twist to it. With the Colts now willing to trade James, then why not to us? Give them TH and a reasonable draft choice from either this year or next's.

Now I know the knee jerk response is going to be " You're crazy, why would we do that when we got WM?". Well there would be several benefits to doing this.

1) We get rid of TH

2) I'm sure the Colts wouldn't object to another decent RB

3) The cost of the draft pick wouldn't be too early coupled with TH

4) This is a TD type move, trading for a better value for the future/ the Edge would be more marketable than TH and we'll get a higher return value.

5) Self protection/ making sure that the team he lands up with after we trade him doesn't become detrimental to us (Miami).

Look, if Miami is going to get a high profile RB then it's gonna be Shaun Alexander. The terms for those 2 teams are more beneficial for each of them. Once the option of not going to Miami is killed then EJ may be more willing to consider someone like Buffalo. TD's best ability just might be his closing skills. Couple that with WM (another University of Miami alumni) and this guy may be abled to be wooed.

Teams that would be interested in a RB obviously don't have one to trade back, just draft(s). Well, we have them too. That should give us the inside track.

Oh, one more thing. Let me get my suit of armor on before you all start with your reponses. OK I'm ready. Ready, aim fire!

I want to revive and amend this post with a different twist to it. With the Colts now willing to trade James, then why not to us? Give them TH and a reasonable draft choice from either this year or next's.

Now I know the knee jerk response is going to be " You're crazy, why would we do that when we got WM?". Well there would be several benefits to doing this.

1) We get rid of TH 

2) I'm sure the Colts wouldn't object to another decent RB

3) The cost of the draft pick wouldn't be too early coupled with TH

4) This is a TD type move, trading for a better value for the future/ the Edge would be more marketable than TH and we'll get a higher return value.

5) Self protection/ making sure that the team he lands up with after we trade him doesn't become detrimental to us (Miami).

Look, if Miami is going to get a high profile RB then it's gonna be Shaun Alexander. The terms for those 2 teams are more beneficial for each of them. Once the option of not going to Miami is killed then EJ may be more willing to consider someone like Buffalo. TD's best ability just might be his closing skills. Couple that with WM (another University of Miami alumni) and this guy may be abled to be wooed.

Teams that would be interested in a RB obviously don't have one to trade back, just draft(s). Well, we have them too. That should give us the inside track.

Oh, one more thing. Let me get my suit of armor on before you all start with your reponses. OK I'm ready. Ready, aim fire!

269081[/snapback]

the bills would not have the cap room to consider trading for james

can not afford to pay two number 1 running backs

james is not looking for backup money. I can not see this happening

Fifth---conditional fourth, which I've said all along. Henry is not a starting caliber running back in the NFL, and he would be a woeful third down back due to his poor blocking and catching skills. Yards impress roto players, but film tells the real story of Travis Henry to GM's and coaches.

I don't think this strategy makes much sense. Buffalo I think should focus on getting younger on defense in this year's draft. The defense has played quite well the past two years but is getting old by NFL standards, and seems to be missing something in crunch time. A couple young guys who could be worked into the defensive line rotation and secondary on 20/30% of the plays I think will be Donahoe's strategy.

I still think Donahoe has made some big blunders on high level decisions, but the way he built that lower third of the roster last year impressed me greatly. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does on draft day.

I beg to differ. There's plenty of deadwood that can be chopped and restructuring of contracts that could go on. Granted, I don't understand all the nuances of salary cap/contracts, but if there's a will then there's a way. If teams like Tampa, Oakland and even last year's San Diego can find ways to sign high profile players, then someone as clever as TD can find a way. The return on a player like EJ could translate in either draft picks or current veteran players who could fill needs for us, then this could be the value move.

I just think that Henry would be an excellent fit for Peyton Manning and the Colts.

268966[/snapback]

While it makes some sense, I would hardly say Henry would be an "excellent fit" for the Colts. I like Travis and all (not one of those who hates him, simply because he is not as good as McGahee), but I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts unload James for a draft pick (they need defensive help) and go with Dominic Rhodes for a year. Travis is not in the same class as James, as far as blocking and receiving go. I wouldn't see the Colts giving up too much to obtain Travis Henry. IMO, for their offense, Rhodes is as good, if not a better fit than Travis...

268966[/snapback]

So do I. After Travis misses a few blocks and Manning winds up in traction, we wouldn't have to worry about the Colts winning too many games.

Edge is a complete player. When he can maintain his footing, Travis is a decent runner. Other than that, he does nothing well. Besides, can you imagine Travis trying to figure out all of those Indy audibles? :D

I beg to differ. There's plenty of deadwood that can be chopped and restructuring of contracts that could go on. Granted, I don't understand all the nuances of salary cap/contracts, but if there's a will then there's a way. If teams like Tampa, Oakland and even last year's San Diego can find ways to sign high profile players, then someone as clever as TD can find a way. The return on a player like EJ could translate in either draft picks or current veteran players who could fill needs for us, then this could be the value move.

269092[/snapback]

At some point, you may arrive at the conclusion that TH has little to no trade value. Edge for Travis, huh? While not as ridiculous as Travis straight up for Gallery, this is just another home team wishful thinking post.

As we speak, TH has an agent trying to make a trade, and GM who is eagerly waiting to dump him. Where are the offers?

Do you think for a second that Peyton Manning would allow the mentally challenged Travis Henry on his team? These players have seen the missed blocks, falling on his face, wrong passing routes, etc.

Dont be too surprised if he isn't released outright, because other teams know he will not be a Buffalo Bill in 05.

I do however TOTALLY agree with you that he should have been dumped before the 04 season, when he did have some value.

Sorry, this is total speculation! I think most folks would agree that Travis is not a complete player like the Edge. However, there's been some speculation by Chris Mortensen (sorry, no link) that the Cardinals may be interested in a trade with the Colts involving the Edge and the Cards LT Shelton. Surely not a 1 for 1 trade, but if the Colts end up with Shelton, they'll have 3 OT's (in addition to starters Tarik Glenn and Ryam Diem).

Perhaps the Colts would be a possible trading partner involving Travis and Shelton?