THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - No Match for the Patriots

Shaw66

McDerma needs to go to NFL coaches game management summer camp. If he is honestly assessing his game day performance. I won't list all the failures.....

Is that even learnable? Has any coach with poor game manager skills ever improved? Reid still sucks. Jauron never improved in 3 HC gigs. Rex did improve on challenge flags. 

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Nice summary Shaw. One thing that stood out to me was how much more physical NE was. There were Bills laying on the ground getting medical help it seemed like at least once every series in the second half.

They hit harder both on offense and defense. Shady came out after a single play being tackled many times throughout the game mainly because he was tackled so hard. When Tolbert is in the game on second or third down consistently, the offense is doomed. I believe Cadets injury was instrumental in the lack of offense towards the end of the game because of this.

When NE was on offense, the offensive line blocks so hard, by mid third quarter the defense was spent. They couldn't handle them physically and the Bills knew it and the Patriots knew it. The Bills need to get some nastiness on the D-line this off-season.

Actually they need some nastiness everywhere, including the QB position. Tyrod is too passive, to quiet, too unemotional, too... Pussified and it affects his play. He doesn't want to throw into tight windows so when he does it's off. He so scared to make a mistake he takes terrible sacks and the more critical the situation the more magnified it gets. 

There were obviously some nice things too, they are just hard to point out after the finish. I agree they are on the right path, you can sense it. Romo continuously said how well coached the Bills were on the broadcast and I agree with him. We havent had that in some time. Things are looking up because of that. Go Bills

This is an Important point. I talked about it after the first Pats.  Besides being better prepared and playing mistake free, they are physical every play, all game long.  

I marvel at Belichick's greatness.  His team's are great at every aspect of football. 

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

The Bills are 2/15 on fourth down conversions this season, that's 13.3 percent. Haushcka is 7/9 from 50 plus, 77 percent or so. 

Wow.  Second worst in the league on 4th down.  I didn't realize that.  13th in attempts and second worst in conversions.  And this is supposed to be a team that specializes in running the ball. 

Given that, I'm with you.   Kick it and make it.  Pats are going to be ready to stop the run, and the Bills haven't been good in that situation, so kick it.  Make it a 4 point game. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

This.

Nothing has changed despite fans trying to convince themselves McDermott is some sort of great coach. The guys Dick jauron 2.0.

It remains to be seen about Mcd ‘s greatness, but his style is to be methodically prepared, highly motivated and stress the fundamentals. This team got better as the season went by. They committed few turnovers and lessened the number of stupid penalties. IMO he is far from Jauron(“well we punted well”)

48 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is an Important point. I talked about it after the first Pats.  Besides being better prepared and playing mistake free, they are physical every play, all game long.  

I marvel at Belichick's greatness.  His team's are great at every aspect of football. 

Yes Belichick is amazing and that is what McD should strive to be. That doesn't happen overnight, in 3 years or even 5 years. In fact I would argue that if McD does turn out to be a HOF coach, the Bills will have to show amazing patience for it to happen in WNY. That being said I think McD does have some Belichick in him. He is striving for a culture, BB is all about culture. At least early, McD will release players he doesn't see fitting in at any time without fear, we have seen BB do that on many occasions. He also has a defensive mind like BB and I am not worried about that side of the ball at all. His eye for talent seems amazing with  the likes of Poyer, Hyde, White, and Milano all added in one off season. The back end was fixed very quickly and I see no reason why the front 4 won't be the same. 

The challenge will be finding the Franchise QB and OC in the molds of TB12 and Josh McDaniels. I honestly believe McD was hoping his 5th round pick Nate Peterman was going to be BB's 6th round pick Tom Brady and he still may be, but it was a tragic error to start him in LA that will take time to overcome. BB may have made similar mistakes early in his career, but it was so long ago and he has been so great no one would ever remember.

Anyways, The next few years will be interesting on the offensive front and I think the QB decision and the performance of the offense will, in the end, make or break this young coach in Buffalo. I hope he makes the right ones.

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This and what Maineiac said are both accurate.   I mean, he threw some nice passes.  He missed on some.  Brady threw some nice passes and he missed on some.  But you just had the feeling that Tyrod was not going to deliver, that he couldn't deliver.   I felt that way most of the game, but I exploded at the TV when he took the sack.  It was SO amateurish.    Everyone gets sacked once in a while, but the good ones don't get sacked at that moment.   Everyone watching knew that that was the critical moment in the game.  The Bills looked like they could play with the Pats.  The Pats had just taken the team.  This was the moment of truth - could the Bills answer?   Meaning are the Bills up to the test?   Taylor answered question in one colossally stupid play, killing the drive on the very first play.  Four years on the bench in Baltimore, three years starting in Buffalo and he looks like JP Friggin Losman.   

Taylor didn't lose the game.   The Pats beat the Bills.   But the game would have been different with a real QB and a real passing attack.  

I agree with this.  Can't take that sack.  Not 15 yards deep.  At the same time... Tolbert on 2nd and 25 is also ridiculous.

A great post by Shaw66.         I think we all knew that winning yesterday up there was a tall order to say the least. Would have been for 98% of the rest of the NFL.

When we get more talent in a number of places on the team, things will start going our way more. Recall if you will the early 90's when we had our best talent ever.

If something happened against us that seemed at the time devastating, somebody else on that team rose up & made a play. We should be getting a big gain in the

talent department next year.  We better!  And with that, we will be able to come at our opponents from more ways/schemes.  We've come a long way this year. Farther

than a lot of "experts" and fans, me included, thought they would. So enjoy our game next week, see how things fall in regards to a wild card spot, and by all means

Bills fans,   have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!