Gil Brandt Lists His Top NFL QBs to Build Around

26CornerBlitz

Brandt: Wentz, Goff among QBs to build around

When the 2017 NFL playoffs begin, young quarterback talent will be center stage. Half of the 12 teams that would currently be in if the postseason began today feature quarterbacks who are 28 or under, while the current top seed in the NFC -- the Eagles -- were led for most of the season by a 24-year-old in his second season as a pro.

So as some teams get ready for playoff battle while others look ahead to the future, I thought I'd rank the young quarterbacks in the NFL according to who I'd build a franchise around. To keep the field truly young, I limited my scan to players who will be 26 or younger as of Sept. 1, 2018. I also wanted to focus on players who have provided a fair amount of game tape to evaluate this season, so I cut out anyone who didn't start at least three games in 2017. Thus, you won't see Cam Newton (28 years old) or rookie Patrick Mahomes (zero appearances) discussed here.

NOTE: I've evaluated all 14 QBs who fit my criteria, though the bottom four are listed in alphabetical order, as I don't currently expect any of them to turn into franchise quarterbacks.

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

as expected....I'd put Jameis above Bortles,  though.

Have you watched them play this season, especially recently?  Bortles has improved immensely while Winston seems to play "streaky" good or bad much like Eli Manning.  Winston's decision making hasn't improved at all IMO.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

Have you watched them play this season, especially recently?  Bortles has improved immensely while Winston seems to play "streaky" good or bad much like Eli Manning.  Winston's decision making hasn't improved at all IMO.

Yeah, I didn't say it was a huge difference, but I'm taking the younger, more talented guy first.

9 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

No Taylor ? ... No Peterman ?

Siemien ?

Taylor too old.

I assume he just forgot about Peterman. Should be #1.

I personally am sick of seeing people bash Kizer. That team is a well known QB killer for years now and the guy seems like he's trying. He was just thrown into the fire and not given time to develop what did they expect. Trubisky has shown improvement in allot of ways just needs more weapons at WR and an upgrade at OL and I think he can be pretty good.