Bills picked a great year to go...

Justice

Well, those people were idiots.

Anyone that would have taken 4'1" Flutie over Bruce Smith should hav had their head examined.

My point is, picking for need does not necessarily equate to picking poorly.

Pittsburgh needed a QB last year and took Roethlisberger. Worked pretty well, no?

266853[/snapback]

Which player on the board was better? It's nice when the two matchup but the draft is fraught with teams that have picked for need instead of picking the best football player. It's much easier to fill needs with vets via FA.

All this draft talk and not one Nugent post... good job guys!  As for OL on draft day, someone should fall into the 2nd round. 

Alex Barron,  Florida State

Jammal Brown, Oklahoma

Khalif Barnes, Washington

Marcus Johnson, Mississippi

Adam Terry, Syracuse

266862[/snapback]

Barron? No way. He'll be the first OL taken in the draft, possibly as high as 2nd (long shot, as I think Miami will go after Ronnie Brown).

Brown? Maybe, but a long shot.

Barnes? There's a good chance he'll be there, as his post Senior Bowl efforts have his stock falling.

Johnson? He's one of the guys I really wouldn't mind seeing the Bills end up with. I could see him being around at our pick.

Terry? He should be there as well.

I'll be more interested to see how we do in this year's draft.  There's a lot of good talent at the interior OL positions, and I sure hope we end up with a couple good ones.

266400[/snapback]

Uhhuh!

Right, and with Donahoe's propensity for drafting linemen, make sure you keep a fifth of good scotch handy for draft day! <_<

Seriously. There isn't one single Free agent worth over paying for this year. Including Jonas and Pat. Good job TD. Wait for the June cuts and then make a splash in free agency.

266398[/snapback]

That's the same conclusion I've reached as contract numbers have been made available for our need spots- watching OGs signing 4.5 million dollar a year contracts does nothing to excite me about making that type of investment when our OL coach is sure to know some of the players who will end up loose in June. While we might not expect equal quality, we might very well expect to get near quality at 1/3rd the price, allowing us to focus our cap space on other need areas. I also would be surprised to see us making any short term moves, the management appears content to make 2006 a year they expect to make a run and the cap strategy seems especially friendly to that 2006 season at this point.

Because that's how you end up with guys like Erik Flowers and Travares Tillman.  But don't let little things like facts get in the way...  <_<

266828[/snapback]

AD, you could also wind up with Winfield or R. Brown.

The way I view this draft, it is seemingly impossible for the Bills to NOT grab a cornerback early. You have seen what the UFAs are getting. The Bills keeping Clements in 06 appears to be no better than a toss-up at best at this point. There is a glaring need there.

Also, we absolutely must solidify the OL. Even if we sign a UFA OG, injuries happen, and I look to Pitt as an example of what a cold weather team can do with a strong, deep OL.

Anyway, imo, sometimes best player available is the way to go, and sometmes not. As much as I want the Bills to grab blockers, I have a feeling they will jump on a cb.

As of yet, teams don't put the same emphasis on guards and centers in the first round that they do tackles.  Good ones, very good ones, can be found in round 2.  Actually, most of the guards and centers will be taken after the first round.  But, I do think that there will be a few guards taken in the 2nd, possibly before we pick.  Even still, there will be a good interior OL available when our pick comes up.

266427[/snapback]

My friend, I hope to see us go with a blocker with our first pick, but I have been hoping this every season for years on end. Thomas, Steinbach and most of all Hutchinson are some of the names that I was screaming for when we went in other directions.

Do you really think that we will not draft a cb with our 1st selection? (Not what you want, what you think)

AD, you could also wind up with Winfield or R. Brown.

The way I view this draft, it is seemingly impossible for the Bills to NOT grab a cornerback early. You have seen what the UFAs are getting. The Bills keeping Clements in 06 appears to be no better than a toss-up at best at this point. There is a glaring need there.

Also, we absolutely must solidify the OL. Even if we sign a UFA OG, injuries happen, and I look to Pitt as an example of what a cold weather team can do with a strong, deep OL.

Anyway, imo, sometimes best player available is the way to go, and sometmes not. As much as I want the Bills to grab blockers, I have a feeling they will jump on a cb.

267084[/snapback]

Which players on the board at the time were better than either A.W. or R.B.? I'm not asking which players developed into better pros - I'm saying which players available were more ready to step in and contribute than the 2 guys we picked? Since both have started pretty much every game they were healthy enough to...

They are simply examples of players who fit both sides of the argument.

You're telling me if a game changing player is on the board, a guy who can step in and play right now like a J. Vilma, you're going to ignore that guy and pick a guy who plays a position you're thin at even though that guy is probably never going to be more than average (Eric Flowers)? Sorry, don't see it - especially when there are always low priced veteran stopgaps around (Hank Poteat ring a bell? - played in the friggin AFC Championship game and SB for the Pats after not being on a roster all year).

Which players on the board at the time were better than either A.W. or R.B.?  I'm not asking which players developed into better pros - I'm saying which players available were more ready to step in and contribute than the 2 guys we picked?  Since both have started pretty much every game they were healthy enough to...

They are simply examples of players who fit both sides of the argument.

You're telling me if a game changing player is on the board, a guy who can step in and play right now like a J. Vilma, you're going to ignore that guy and pick a guy who plays a position you're thin at even though that guy is probably never going to be more than average (Eric Flowers)?  Sorry, don't see it - especially when there are always low priced veteran stopgaps around (Hank Poteat ring a bell? - played in the friggin AFC Championship game and SB for the Pats after not being on a roster all year).

267092[/snapback]

The point that you raise is a solid one. I am thinking that the immediate impact player you describe might be harder to get in round 2.

AD, I would not want the Bills to pass up a clearly superior player in order to fill a need. I do however believe that if there is a negligible difference in talent, the Bills will jump on a CB because they have little to no choice.

The point that you raise is a solid one. I am thinking that the immediate impact player you describe might be harder to get in round 2.

AD, I would not want the Bills to pass up a clearly superior player in order to fill a need. I do however believe that if there is a negligible difference in talent, the Bills will jump on a CB because they have little to no choice.

267111[/snapback]

Sam Cowart, Thurman Thomas, Michael Boulware, Bethel Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Clinton Portis, Deion Branch, Kendrell Bell, Ken Lucas, Fred Smoot, Aaron Schobel, Kris Jenkins, Lamont Jordan, Matt Light, Chris Chambers, Travis Henry, Andre Dyson, Jerry Porter, Deon Grant, Mike Rucker, Dre Bly, Jim Kliensasser, Jeremy Staat, Samari Rolle, Tiki Barber, Corey Dillon, Sam Madison, Tony Brackens, Mike Alstott, Lawyer Milloy, Muhsin Muhammed, Reggie Tongue, Ernie Conwell, Brian Dawkins...

All 2nd rounders. There are plenty more.

If it comes down to 2 players who are all else equal, then by all means pick the guy at the position that you are thin. But don't reach for a guy just because he happens to be the best player at a need position. Pick the best football player.

Sam Cowart, Thurman Thomas, Michael Boulware, Bethel Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Clinton Portis, Deion Branch, Kendrell Bell, Ken Lucas, Fred Smoot, Aaron Schobel, Kris Jenkins, Lamont Jordan, Matt Light, Chris Chambers, Travis Henry, Andre Dyson, Jerry Porter, Deon Grant, Mike Rucker, Dre Bly, Jim Kliensasser, Jeremy Staat, Samari Rolle, Tiki Barber, Corey Dillon, Sam Madison, Tony Brackens, Mike Alstott, Lawyer Milloy, Muhsin Muhammed, Reggie Tongue, Ernie Conwell, Brian Dawkins...

All 2nd rounders.  There are plenty more.

If it comes down to 2 players who are all else equal, then by all means pick the guy at the position that you are thin.  But don't reach for a guy just because he happens to be the best player at a need position.  Pick the best football player.

267220[/snapback]

Exactly.

Then don't forget to put the cat out.