Should the NFL let players police themselves on the field more?

BillsFan130

The public isn't ready to watch NFL players brawl on the field. 

If the NFL wants to clean up the game they need to strip off the pads and let these guys punish their bodies without helmets and shoulder pads to use as weapons. 

None of these helmet to helmet hits would happen if the guys doing the hitting weren't wearing helmets. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

No way.... I think this whole concept would ruin the game.  We’ve forgotten the entire notion of sportsmanship in this discussion.  Instead we want a vigilante system?

The NFL already has violence, away from the field, issues and a CTE problem.  Allowing for fights pn the filed will likely only serve to make both of these worse.

In the Gronk type situation the league needs to step in harder.  It was an intentional act that may put a player out of one or more games due to a concussion.  If the league is serious about the concussion protocol they should have ejected him from the current game and suspended him for a longer period to include as many games as the injured player misses.  

Keep in mind the players have a union that will likely fight any actions taken by the league.  I’m guessing there are rules or standards of punishment that come into play.

....absolutely agree.......they have somewhat "attempted" to crack down on hits of defenseless players...and some of these minions STILL don't get it.....take that away and you'll see Daryl Singley repeats weekly....Gronk should have been a minimum of three......they play was over and he launched from behind......hell even Belichick apologized......NHL has clamped down on bench clearing brawls and has tried to curtail fighting....only major sport not to put forth much of an effort is MLB......bench/dugout clearing skirmishes cannot be stopped?...seriously?......brush back pitches are one thing but obvious bean balls get a tiny wrist slapper?.....maybe their Stingley Day is in the cards before they wise up.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

If you let this happen, I really have no doubt that we will all witness the death of a player on the field.  This is insane thinking

Lol a death on the football field will result from a cheap shot like a flagrant hit to the head or a freak accident like shazier last night.

My point was to minimize those hit to the heads/cheap shots by letting them tussle a bit.

A little tussle won't be the thing that would kill an NFL player... It will be the cheap shots in which we saw a few examples of last night

Edited by billsfan11

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Lol a death on the football field will result from a cheap shot like a flagrant hit to the head or a freak accident like shazier last night.

My point was to minimize those hit to the heads/cheap shots by letting them tussle a bit.

A little tussle won't be the thing that would kill an NFL player... It will be the cheap shots in which we saw a few examples of last night

The problem is that a "little tussle" could lead to all out war in the event that the sidelines ever cleared. 

There is far too much downside to allow any type of fighting in a league where the players have firm footing on the ground (no skates). 

Just now, billsfan11 said:

My point was to avoid those hit to the heads/cheap shots by letting them tussle a bit.

I hear what you are trying to say, but disagree.  The behavior on the field now, with the rules is gross.  Prime example was last night's game.  While you are suggesting "a little tussle", how often do these remain little?  Think about what you are asking.  It sounds dumb

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

.....yes, absolutely.......the officiating corp does one helluva job with the 2,675 page rule book containing 14,852 rules that you now want them to serve AS WWE stripers?.....fire Goodell and hire Vince McMahon......let the show begin......Eddie Guns vs Big Show........grudge match.....:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....yes, absolutely.......the officiating corp does one helluva job with the 2,675 page rule book containing 14,852 rules that you now want them to serve AS WWE stripers?.....fire Goodell and hire Vince McMahon......let the show begin......Eddie Guns vs Big Show........grudge match.....:thumbsup:

Not what I'm saying at all as I thought I made that pretty clear in my original post

11 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I hear what you are trying to say, but disagree.  The behavior on the field now, with the rules is gross.  Prime example was last night's game.  While you are suggesting "a little tussle", how often do these remain little?  Think about what you are asking.  It sounds dumb

What's more dumb to me is the constant head shots these guys do to eachother to get payback.

4 to 5 tussels a game sounds alot more safe then 2 to 3 hits like Smith Schuster put on Burfict last night. Those hits are built up frustrating because they are not allowed to police themselves, and the NFL will refuse to suspend these good players for long periods of time on top of it

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Not what I'm saying at all as I thought I made that pretty clear in my original post

...I know what you're saying.....and what I'm saying is give players an inkling of NASCAR's "have at it boyz" and then try to keep that from spiraling out of control.........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I know what you're saying.....and what I'm saying is give players an inkling of NASCAR's "have at it boyz" and then try to keep that from spiraling out of control.........

You can implement rules to make them stay in control. 

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

Nfl would love that. What a dumb idea.

Thanks for your input bud! Very insightful

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

.....I think there have been one or two posts (HUGE COUGH) about officiating quality and CURRENT rules......just curious as to how you see them being able to handle even a minimal semblance of "player self-policing" without it being a detriment to the game and borderline anarchy.....and NO I'm NOT trying to be a smart azz.....just trying to get a better understanding of what you are proposing and the ramifications, both plus and minus..........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....I think there have been one or two posts (HUGE COUGH) about officiating quality and CURRENT rules......just curious as to how you see them being able to handle even a minimal semblance of "player self-policing" without it being a detriment to the game and borderline anarchy.....and NO I'm NOT trying to be a smart azz.....just trying to get a better understanding of what you are proposing and the ramifications, both plus and minus..........

Fighting a little may sound ridiculous, but how come it works well in hockey? Why couldn't it work in football? I know there are more players on the field, but the principle remains the same.

For one, if there is a one on one little fight, if a 3rd player comes into that fight then give that player an automatic ejection and suspension.

That is literally at the top of my head one way to minimize big brawls. I'm sure if I spent some time on it, I could come up with simpler/better ideas.

There will for sure be games where it gets out of control as it does in hockey, but most of the time in hockey, the self policing works very well. 

Somy question is, why couldn't it work in football? And once again, I'm not talking about taking the helmet off and throwing punches

17 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Think about this. A bunch of 260 plus men wearing essentially body armour. All your going to end up with is a bunch of broken hands.

Just now, Chris66 said:

Think about this. A bunch of 260 plus men wearing essentially body armour. All your going to end up with is a bunch of broken hands.

Not talking about throwing punches.

And in hockey they drop the gloves and have even more armour. So I'm not sure I understand your point

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Not talking about throwing punches.

And in hockey they drop the gloves and have even more armour. So I'm not sure I understand your point

In hockey the men are half the size. Not to many 325 lb guys.

Besides the entire idea in hockey is that they do drop the gloves. How else would you police it with more dirty hits?

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Fighting a little may sound ridiculous, but how come it works well in hockey? Why couldn't it work in football? I know there are more players on the field, but the principle remains the same.

For one, if there is a one on one little fight, if a 3rd player comes into that fight then give that player an automatic ejection and suspension.

That is literally at the top of my head one way to minimize big brawls. I'm sure if I spent some time on it, I could come up with simpler/better ideas.

There will for sure be games where it gets out of control as it does in hockey, but most of the time in hockey, the self policing works very well. 

Somy question is, why couldn't it work in football? And once again, I'm not talking about taking the helmet off and throwing punches

...my friend, it is hard for me to quantify my answer or comment without knowing how long you have been following hockey and my question IS BY NO MEANS an insult.....insults are not my style..I've been a hockey guy since the 60's.....going back to that era as well as the 70's and 80's, fights were the "norm"...bench clearers were the epitome (LOL)....the Flyers in the 70's were known as the "Broad Street Bullies" for just that.....I had season tix for years along with 12 others for the AHL Amerks (Pegula now owns them as  the Sabres farm club in Rochester).....we knew by the opponent who would be fighting when to "settle old scores and wounds"....hockey for me TODAY is a FAR different game from those eras...it's alomst "flag hockey" today versus that era as you would say the NFl is now "flag football" with QB protectionism..........

58 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my friend, it is hard for me to quantify my answer or comment without knowing how long you have been following hockey and my question IS BY NO MEANS an insult.....insults are not my style..I've been a hockey guy since the 60's.....going back to that era as well as the 70's and 80's, fights were the "norm"...bench clearers were the epitome (LOL)....the Flyers in the 70's were known as the "Broad Street Bullies" for just that.....I had season tix for years along with 12 others for the AHL Amerks (Pegula now owns them as  the Sabres farm club in Rochester).....we knew by the opponent who would be fighting when to "settle old scores and wounds"....hockey for me TODAY is a FAR different game from those eras...it's alomst "flag hockey" today versus that era as you would say the NFl is now "flag football" with QB protectionism..........

Played and watched hockey my whole life.

I'm Canadian, hockey is my life lol.

You're right that it's not comparable to the olden days. But policing themselves in hockey still happens alot

You really think the league would allow that?  We are trying to get less violent and allowing players to sort it out...isn't going to lower injuries.  I think they need to up the suspensions if they really want to make a difference.  There is no place in the game for the crap that gronk and others have done this week.  Absolute garbage.  I don't really care if it was part of the older league, the league is changing and has changed.  

Gronk should've gotten 2 games suspension and a third game equivalent fine.  I don't want to see fighting on the field and I don't think the owners do either