How Many Starts Do You Need for a Fair Evaluation?

I agree OP. His excellence will either smack us in the face immediately like when Dak or Watson came in, or we really won't know with such a small sample size. If he can play well enough as at least a positive contributor for the most part and lead us to the playoffs (4-3 finish or better) I think he could possibly go in to next year as the number one without us drafting a QB with a first round pick. 

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Peterman was touted as being the most ready to start QB out of college and has not looked out of place anytime he has played.  There is a chance that happens, but I really doubt it.  SD is OK on D, KC gives up tons of yards and relies on turnovers and red zone D like the Bills do(did), and NE is nobody's idea of a great D...

Yup, but don't get me building up too much hope here.

The next 3 weeks they are going to try to tear his head off his shoulders.

I think a full season in most circumstances is adequate but nowadays a lot of teams (including the Bills) simply can't wait for that.

NP is in all likelihood getting the rest of this season which will be 7 full games barring injury, and depending on what he does he'll likely get more at least to start the 2018 season.

If he's terrible and this team continues to look like they did the last few weeks then obviously we are still in play for a top 10 draft pick and likely going QB right away in the draft.