Jonas Jennings wanted to stay

Bills report: Notes, quotes March 6, 2005

Notes, quotes · Strategy and personnel · Inside slant

--The Bills' search for a backup QB to Losman may center on Detroit free agent Mike McMahon when the dust settles. He's very athletic and would easily fit into coach Mike Mularkey's system. Upgrading their No. 3 receiver spot where Josh Reed has been a disappointment is also a possibility down the road. Baltimore's Kevin Johnson, who has voided his contract to become a free agent, is looking to revive his stardom and would make a nice complement to Eric Moulds and Lee Evans with his deceptive speed and hands. His price tag may be too much, however. Meanwhile, it's believed Chiefs long-snapper Kendall Gammon will visit the Bills, who need to explore options if Jon Dorenbos can't come back from a knee injury.

--Bills officials are confident that financially strapped Erie County will continue to honor its lease obligations concerning game-day expenses and maintenance at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Those obligations amounted to more than $6 million in 2004. If not met, the county would technically be breaking its lease, giving the Bills the option to move out of Buffalo. A club spokesman told Buffalo television station WKBW, however, they are not focusing "on the defaults of the lease." And Bruce Fisher, deputy county executive, said: "The county will abide by all of its contracts." Legislator Al DeBenedetti, a noted critic of the Bills' lease with the county and New York State, has an opposing view. "It's just a question of five million more dollars he doesn't have to spend," he said of Bills owner Ralph Wilson. "That he gets to keep as profits, that comes out of the pockets of the taxpayers of Erie County at a very difficult time."

QUOTE TO NOTE

"It hurt me when I heard they said I was asking for too much when I haven't even talked to anybody. They put it out there I was the bad guy asking ridiculous money, and I hadn't even talked. But I want to say thanks to the fans. I was there when we weren't so good and there when we got to 9-7 and helped build something. I just have to move on. But I would've loved to stay a Bill." -- Unrestricted free agent LT Jonas Jennings, who signed with San Francisco.

Bills report: Notes, quotes  March 6, 2005

QUOTE TO NOTE

"It hurt me when I heard they said I was asking for too much when I haven't even talked to anybody. They put it out there I was the bad guy asking ridiculous money, and I hadn't even talked. But I want to say thanks to the fans. I was there when we weren't so good and there when we got to 9-7 and helped build something. I just have to move on. But I would've loved to stay a Bill." -- Unrestricted free agent LT Jonas Jennings, who signed with San Francisco.

264793[/snapback]

Well Jonas you did get ridiculous money from SF, but I guess that's beside the point. Also, I just remebered something. Does anyone else remember how during the season it was just about assumed that Jennings would be leaving, but he'd going "home" to Atlanta??? Did the Falcons even contact him??

it is very easy to say "I wanted to stay" after the fact. Jonas could have approached the Bills with a reasonable offer and I am sure the Bills would have responded. Jennings was obviously out for the cash grab. Why would a player sign with the 49er's?

Jonas was the beneficiary of a weak market in LTs this free agent period. He's an average LT with an injury history. I would have kept him if he would have come at a reasonable price. I'm sure TD explored this during the season with his agent but any agent worth a damn would recognize the situation and realize Jennings would likely command a higher salary than he's worth. I'm glad we didn't over-pay for him and have to believe that TD has a plan to address the line.

RTB

it is very easy to say "I wanted to stay" after the fact.  Jonas could have approached the Bills with a reasonable offer and I am sure the Bills would have responded.  Jennings was obviously out for the cash grab.  Why would a player sign with the 49er's?

264810[/snapback]

That's exactly the point. He could have had his agent contact TD and offer to stay in Buffalo for a fair price. Instead he'd signed a large contract with a team that's 5-year plan is to catch up to Cincinnati.

Has anybody stopped to think that maybe Donahoe and the coaches didn't want Jonas back? They may very well have another direction in mind that we won't know of until it happens. Wouldn't be the first time they've pulled this on us fans.

That is a possibility Kegtapr... And I know this is a business and all, but then TD shouldn't say "We can't afford them"... Which is what he said about Pat W & Jonas J... And then both players say they were never even given offers after the extension offers which were supposedly made last year and turned down. And you are right, it isn't the first time we've heard this type of thing.

I think that's the bad part of the hardball TD plays... If your reputation is you don't blink... you can't blink. which means you might lose because of the unwillingness to compromise.

Jonas is being disingenuous when he says that the Bills "said [he] was asking for too much when I haven't even talked to anybody." His agent obviously told the Bills what he wanted for his client, TD said it was WAY too high, and Jonas' agent probably said that they'd test the market, hence no further offers. It's a matter of perceived worth on both sides, with no real answer to that until Jonas suits up and plays for the 49'ers and the Bills' new LT does the same.

Sure, he preferred to stay in Buffalo -- but he'd have to be a total moron to turn that kind of money down. He just set himself up for life and I don't blame him one bit.

Bills report: Notes, quotes  March 6, 2005

Notes, quotes · Strategy and personnel · Inside slant 

--The Bills' search for a backup QB to Losman may center on Detroit free agent Mike McMahon when the dust settles. He's very athletic and would easily fit into coach Mike Mularkey's system. Upgrading their No. 3 receiver spot where Josh Reed has been a disappointment is also a possibility down the road. Baltimore's Kevin Johnson, who has voided his contract to become a free agent, is looking to revive his stardom and would make a nice complement to Eric Moulds and Lee Evans with his deceptive speed and hands. His price tag may be too much, however. Meanwhile, it's believed Chiefs long-snapper Kendall Gammon will visit the Bills, who need to explore options if Jon Dorenbos can't come back from a knee injury.

--Bills officials are confident that financially strapped Erie County will continue to honor its lease obligations concerning game-day expenses and maintenance at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Those obligations amounted to more than $6 million in 2004. If not met, the county would technically be breaking its lease, giving the Bills the option to move out of Buffalo. A club spokesman told Buffalo television station WKBW, however, they are not focusing "on the defaults of the lease." And Bruce Fisher, deputy county executive, said: "The county will abide by all of its contracts." Legislator Al DeBenedetti, a noted critic of the Bills' lease with the county and New York State, has an opposing view. "It's just a question of five million more dollars he doesn't have to spend," he said of Bills owner Ralph Wilson. "That he gets to keep as profits, that comes out of the pockets of the taxpayers of Erie County at a very difficult time."

QUOTE TO NOTE

264793[/snapback]

Jonas is being disingenuous when he says that the Bills "said [he] was asking for too much when I haven't even talked to anybody."  His agent obviously told the Bills what he wanted for his client, TD said it was WAY too high, and Jonas' agent probably said that they'd test the market, hence no further offers.  It's a matter of perceived worth on both sides, with no real answer to that until Jonas suits up and plays for the 49'ers and the Bills' new LT does the same.

264883[/snapback]

This is the thing, it might be true that Jonas (and Pat for that matter) did not "talk to anybody yet", but please, it's not like TD didn't know already what Jonas (and Pat for that matter) wanted. This whole "I'm the martyr" thing gets old after a while. Everyone knew that Jonas wanted the big payout, Jonas should just admit it! Wanting money is not a bad thing, Jonas. If he had just said he felt he was worth more than Buffalo would have offered, everything would have been cool, what is so wrong about that?

Jennings had NO interest in staying in Buffalo.

Exactly. After Peerless was signed in Atlanta, Jennings was interviewed on an Atlanta radio station and said something like, "I'd love to come down here and play with Peerless since GA is my home."

That doesn't sound like someone who wanted to stay in Buffalo.

CW

Jonas is being disingenuous when he says that the Bills "said [he] was asking for too much when I haven't even talked to anybody."  His agent obviously told the Bills what he wanted for his client, TD said it was WAY too high, and Jonas' agent probably said that they'd test the market, hence no further offers.  It's a matter of perceived worth on both sides, with no real answer to that until Jonas suits up and plays for the 49'ers and the Bills' new LT does the same.

264883[/snapback]

Thank you......I'm quite certain that if Jonas' agent told TD they were seeking a deal in the 3mil/per range that you'd have seen a much different reaction. Clearly TD had enough contact with Camp Jonas to decipher whether or not a deal was feasible.

Has anybody stopped to think that maybe Donahoe and the coaches didn't want Jonas back? They may very well have another direction in mind that we won't know of until it happens. Wouldn't be the first time they've pulled this on us fans.

264844[/snapback]

Are you serious? :o

I think they knew beforehand the demand for LT in the offseason and surmised that Jonas would be asking for more than he's worth! LOL. Look at what happened. I really think they wanted him back but decided to wait and see what transpired.

I don't hate Jennings for taking the money. Who wouldn't have? At least he didn't say he need to "feed his family" or give other b.s. to the fans.