Home Audio - Help needed!

JimBob2232

I am completely clueless when it comes to home audio stuff, but hopefully someone here can help me.

Goal: Be able to extend TV sound from living room to kitchen (and other rooms of house) & be able to play music from iphone on remote speakers in house

Current Equipment: Tivo Bolt, Fios, HDTV, iPhone

Will an amazon Echo/Dot work?  Do  I need a receiver?  What speakers  do you recommend?

Like I am said, i am clueless here...I dont care about great sound quality, just something for a multi-room experience.

I have an existing NuTone intercom system (that doesnt work).  I am not planning on using this for a home system, but wanted to throw it out there in case someone sees a good way to re-use the existing wiring/speakers.

Thanks in advance!

We just purchased a Sonos One for our lanai.  Very good sound and can be extended to multiple rooms where you can have the same or different music/news.  It is cordless, except for the power cord and.  It has Alexa integrated into the unit and can be run thru Alexa or your phone.  We are really happy with it.

Caveat: The units are pricey at $199.00 each.

5 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

after the original question is answered i would like to know how someone with an analog stereo receiver can turn it into a digital receiver...is a bluetooth rca plug dongle enough to allow the receiver to become part of the digital world?

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-audio-receiver-for-your-home-stereo-or-speakers/

The Audioengin B1 has lots of good reviews.   It's pricey but if you have a good analog rig it should sound the best.  

My wife has a JBL speaker roughly the size and shape of a Budweiser tall boy (knowing this audience, I’m trying to use something folks could easily relate to :D).  It has surprisingly good sound! She pairs it up with her phone and we have music wherever we want it.  I’d be happy to get a couple more and place them around the house. 

Sorry I’m no help as far as the TV goes. I know I’d love a sound bar like my son has (it’s awesome with a wireless subwoofer), but have been too lazy to figure out all the possible options. It’s slightly intimidating. Thoughts appreciated there.

Under the title of pet peeves, the family room TV and the one next door in the kitchen can be on the same channel but they are about a second off,  so if the sound is on both it sounds like the world’s most annoying echo! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

My wife has a JBL speaker roughly the size and shape of a Budweiser tall boy (knowing this audience, I’m trying to use something folks could easily relate to :D).  It has surprisingly good sound! She pairs it up with her phone and we have music wherever we want it.  I’d be happy to get a couple more and place them around the house. 

I have a somewhat larger bluetooth AR speaker that can be used indoors and outdoors with batteries or with AC which I can pair to either my phone or my Kindle for hours of music throughout my house as well as outside on my back porch or patio.   When I pair it to the phone, I don't need wifi so I can even listen out at our camp.    I think that you can pair multiple speakers to the same device to get "stereo" sound ... or sound in different rooms/places.  I got it primarily for outdoor use since I have an Amazon Fire Stick on my living room TV plus smart TVs in the upstairs sewing room and in the kitchen and stream music or TV through all of those.

I think I paid about $30 for the speaker from Amazon, and all the connections/set up were simple.  The Fire Stick wasn't all that much, either.

Edited by SoTier