Jeff flake

We must never regard as “normal” the regular and casual undermining of our democratic norms and ideals.

The people that founded and fought this country into existence, literally undermined the democratic norms(subject to British law, but not represented in British government) and ideals(that they simply could not even exist without guidance and correction from an island 1000s of miles away) of the day. The USA was born and built on throwing off bad "norms" and "ideals". :rolleyes:

If Trump is undermining today's democratic norms(such as corrupt Clintonian pay for play, McCain hypocrisy, Pelosian incompetence, Schumer duplicity, and Obama flat out fraud and deception), what exactly is wrong with that? The "norm" quite obviously sucks.

As far as ideals go: would you call 8 years of less than 2% growth "ideal"? How about the racial divisiveness that increased massively under Obama, is that an American ideal? How about the constant scandals(IRS, Fast and Furious, Benghazi, etc.) and now-obvious corruption of the Obama Admin., does any of that represent our ideals? How about Obamacare itself? How was it:

designed(utter crap by amateurs),

passed(contrary to our ideals, instead of listening to the normally liberal Massachusetts people who voted in Scott Brown to deny the 60 votes necessary for its passage, Harry Reid used reconciliation),

executed(again by amateurs, the technical people can blame the design, and, the "save the price till the end" requirement for some of the FAIL, but the Apple and Google weenies simply weren't the real thing. They do consumer, not enterprise corporate: huge difference),

and implemented(multiple illegal executive orders just to get it going, then, even more to keep it alive)

representative of our ideals? No. The abortion that is Obamacare is contrary to American ideals in quite literally every way.

Thus, you're damn right Trump is undermining our "norms", because schit has become the norm. Trump is undermining the awful ideals of the far-left, which should have never been put upon the country. Your ideals suck, largely because they are un-American. Please refrain from projecting your crappy ideals onto the rest of us, or pretending they represent what American is about.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Awwww Jeff,

Less than 24 hours of the Left loving you......... :lol:

Sen. Jeff Flake served up a #Resistance buzzkill this morning

He is still criticizing Trump, but says Impeachment is wrong...............

By-by liberal admiration.

I think Flake's position is the right one. Trump is an absolute horror show, a national embarrassment, but so far nothing can be demonstrated that is worthy of impeachment. I agree that it would be nice if more politicians had the balls to speak out against some of the things Trump says & does, but it's within the President's authority to continue to act like a petulant childclown if he so wishes.

Impeachment is whatever the majority of The House determines it to be defined.

I think Gerald Ford came up with that one

i see that Salmon (or was it Samuel) Chase was the only SCOTUS justice to be impeached, and Samuel (or is it Salmon) is on the $10,000 bill.

Edited by row_33

Impeachment is whatever the majority of The House determines it to be defined.

I think Gerald Ford came up with that one

i see that Salmon (or was it Samuel) Chase was the only SCOTUS justice to be impeached, and Samuel (or is it Salmon) is on the $10,000 bill.

I could be wrong (but history proves that highly unlikely :w00t: ) but I believe bills larger than $100 were discontinued to make it more difficult for drug dealers to move the cash.

I could be wrong (but history proves that highly unlikely :w00t: ) but I believe bills larger than $100 were discontinued to make it more difficult for drug dealers to move the cash.

Grandma died in 1991 and that stopped her putting a crisp new $10,000 bill in my Christmas card. Haven't seen one since.

I think Flake's position is the right one. Trump is an absolute horror show, a national embarrassment, but so far nothing can be demonstrated that is worthy of impeachment. I agree that it would be nice if more politicians had the balls to speak out against some of the things Trump says & does, but it's within the President's authority to continue to act like a petulant childclown if he so wishes.

We both know that Trump is intentionally antagonizing people.

Why doesn't seem to be obvious to you though. He's goading them into making mistakes, so that he can get rid of them/drain the swamp. Notice: one part of every Trump attack uses a policy that the target supports, or a vote they cast. He never attacks without substance. THEN, in the next part he goes full-pejorative, which, is right out of the 300-level marketing textbooks. Watch any commercial that bags on the competition: Establish something the other guy does that sucks, then make fun of him for it. Example: The Lifelock Commercial. Bank gets held up and the security guard who, when told to "do something", says "I'm just a security...monitor". See:Textbook marketing.

Politicians aren't used to this type of nuanced and specialized attack. It isn't coming from a repetitive, campaign ad, stump speech, or talking points from surrogates, all of which most people tune out. And, individual criticism for politicians is generally bad for business. They always say things like "our Democratic colleagues don't have a clue about how economics works" or "House Republicans want you die early".

They never call each other out by name, like Trump does. Thus, their criticism is a one day story. They've played their role on TV, in a show for the folks back home. The next day, the swamp spending for payoffs continues, on both sides of the aisle.

Trump has balls. You want politicians to have balls that they never will. Having real balls and really speaking out? They revoke your swamp membership card. See, you actually want Trump to do this sort of stuff, it's just that you don't realize it yet.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

We both know that Trump is intentionally antagonizing people.

Why doesn't seem to be obvious to you though. He's goading them into making mistakes, so that he can get rid of them/drain the swamp. Notice: one part of every Trump attack uses a policy that the target supports, or a vote they cast. He never attacks without substance. THEN, in the next part he goes full-pejorative, which, is right out of the 300-level marketing textbooks. Watch any commercial that bags on the competition: Establish something the other guy does that sucks, then make fun of him for it. Example: The Lifelock Commercial. Bank gets held up and the security guard who, when told to "do something", says "I'm just a security...monitor". See:Textbook marketing.

Politicians aren't used to this type of nuanced and specialized attack. It isn't coming from a repetitive, campaign ad, stump speech, or talking points from surrogates, all of which most people tune out. And, individual criticism for politicians is generally bad for business. They always say things like "our Democratic colleagues don't have a clue about how economics works" or "House Republicans want you die early".

They never call each other out by name, like Trump does. Thus, their criticism is a one day story. They've played their role on TV, in a show for the folks back home. The next day, the swamp spending for payoffs continues, on both sides of the aisle.

Trump has balls. You want politicians to have balls that they never will. Having real balls and really speaking out? They revoke your swamp membership card. See, you actually want Trump to do this sort of stuff, it's just that you don't realize it yet.

Welcome to Costco. I love you.

best use of clever offensive speech since Germany goaded France into attacking and getting wiped out in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Bismarck

The scale of Bismarck's triumph cannot be exaggerated. He alone had brought about a complete transformation of the European international order. He had told those who would listen what he intended to do, how he intended to do it, and he did it. He achieved this incredible feat without commanding an army, and without the ability to give an order to the humblest common soldier, without control of a large party, without public support, indeed, in the face of almost universal hostility, without a majority in parliament, without control of his cabinet, and without a loyal following in the bureaucracy. He no longer had the support of the powerful conservative interest groups who had helped him achieve power. The most senior diplomats in the foreign service ... were sworn enemies and he knew it. With perfect justice, in August 1866, he punched his fist on his desk and cried(Sound familiar? History doesn't repeat, but it does ryhme):

"I have beaten them all! All!" I say Trump has a 50/50 chance of being able to say that.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

...Trump is intentionally antagonizing

…He's goading them into making mistakes, so that he can get rid of them/drain the swamp

…He never attacks without substance

…Textbook marketing

…nuanced and specialized

…Trump has balls

You love him :lol:

You love him :lol:

Nope. I have never liked him personally. But as a grown up, and a professional, who works some days with people I don't like personally, I know that efficacy and accomplishment matters more than my feelings. This is the definition of professionalism.

Nah, I love what he is doing. It's been a long time coming. I know what's coming, or at least I know what is most probable. DC establishment on both sides live and do business in a burned out crackhouse. There is no saving it. Better to kick its inhabitants out, knock it down, and start again.

You can't do that by being "presidential". That's a false choice. :rolleyes: Swamp had every intention, before Trump was even sworn in, to disrespect both him and the office. They aren't changing. So, why should he bother? Appearances for the rest of the world? Please. Only results matter. The best proof in the pudding: for decades China has done something to provoke every incoming POTUS. Not this time. Why? Because they don't honestly know if Trump will shove a missile or 3k up their asses. China prides itself on being 4 steps ahead of our government. Now? They are behind. They are behind because Trump is not bound by useless convention, thus they can't see his moves.

Trump has taken on the mammoth task of fixing DC. But, in order to do that, he must break them in battle, banish them, and knock their fiefdoms down, so they can't simply be taken over by new government aristocrats. Even that is not enough. He has to destroy their culture.

But, I fully acknowledge that completely destroying DC's culture of corruption may be a bridge too far. What he can do: beat them on the battlefield, every day. He won a major political victory with the NFL thing with just a few tweets. You can say he's being petty, and he is, but, is he winning? Yep. He promised he would win so much we'd get sick of it. I'm not even close.

We must never regard as normal the regular and casual undermining of our democratic norms and ideals. We must never meekly accept the daily sundering of our country the personal attacks, the threats against principles, freedoms, and institutions; the flagrant disregard for truth or decency, the reckless provocations, most often for the pettiest and most personal reasons, reasons having nothing whatsoever to do with the fortunes of the people that we have all been elected to serve.

None of these appalling features of our current politics should ever be regarded as normal.

Sorry, couldn't quite read that through the haze of "I'm With Her!" irony.