Week 7...Expecations should return to pre-season

Jobot

What are my expectations supposed to be? We're a team built to play tight games, with a QB who struggles when we're losing. We have like no receivers, and are getting bit by the injury bug.

8-8 +/- 2 in either direction. Balls bounce our way we can maybe do 10-6. If they start to bounce the other way, we're probably 6-10.

8-8 forever?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I look at this way, if we do beat the Bucs we are 4-2 which is the same spot we were in last year and still collapsed.

If we lose we are 3-3 with two straight losses and the serious criticism and questions begin.

However the Bengals loss still doesn't sit well with me because I keep thinking that if we didn't get all the turnovers on defense we would have likely been blown out by 14+ points. And I still think that type of loss is coming because even most playoff teams have those type of games a few times a year.

Bottom line, the big picture is still likely going to be murky this week with this team even with a win. But a bad loss could tell a loss a lot more than another close win.

Don't bother mentioning the plays that were made that were negated by bogus penalties, or the loss of Clay...

And why even bother mentioning last year? Or years past? That 4-2 team last year had a piss poor defense (and coaching staff), which was the main reason for the final record. Using past performance to predict future performance is foolish, especially with a new staff and schemes in place.

But misery loves company...you're in the right place.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Don't bother mentioning the plays that were made that were negated by bogus penalties, or the loss of Clay...

And why even bother mentioning last year? Or years past? That 4-2 team last year had a piss poor defense (and coaching staff), which was the main reason for the final record. Using past performance to predict future performance is foolish, especially with a new staff and schemes in place.

But misery loves company...you're in the right place.

When you haven't made the playoffs in a league high 17 years, the past matters unfortunately. I know Terry Pegula and this new regime would like to believe otherwise too but it's simply not the case until this franchise can exorcise all the demons in their closet.

And this year will be more disappointing than years past if we don't make the playoffs, assuming the defense is legit and goes to waste like in 2014.

That 4-2 team last year had a piss poor defense (and coaching staff), which was the main reason for the final record.

Luckily someone around here was tracking the defensive rankings in most key categories last season week by week. After 6 games (which was 6 weeks last year) that 4-2 team had a defense that looked like this (the ups and downs refer to week 5 last year not a comparison to this year):

Yard per game allowed: Rank - 12th (Up 3)

Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 14th (Up 3)

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 15th (Down 2)

Points per game allowed: Rank - 5th (Unchanged)

3rd down %: Rank - 5th (Up 6)

Sacks: Rank - 2nd (Up 2)

Takeaways: Rank - 2nd (Unchanged)

Points Per Drive: Rank - 8th (Up 1)

% of drives ending in scores: Rank - 10th (Up 1)

Just play the games and see what happens. They have Tampa Bay this week. Win that one and move on.

what this season thus far should tell all is that it is ridiculous to try and do long range predictions for the NFL. In the off season and preseason it was that the Jets weren't going to win a game, the Patriots would dominate, the Raiders would be great, and of course the Bills were already giving up on the season before it even started.

And now look.

This is a sound approach, but it kind of defeats the entire point of having a forum like this, which exists largely to ramble on about irrelevant points/topics with a particular emphasis on hypotheticals, the impractical, or the impossible.

I would say maybe once a month, if that, there is something interesting that comes along in the world of the Bills that really gets the juices flowing and makes you want to discuss what's going on with fellow fans.

Most of the time there is just nothing of interest to really talk about.