Stolen post from another board

JP-era

Justin1006 wrote this earlier today. I'm baffled that it's fallen to the 3rd page already. The fact that it has is proof that, sadly, a lot of people here are posting nonsense and over-reacting.

Justin1006 nailed it here guys... Please dont post again until you've read and understand the reality of this masterpiece.

Try real hard to stay focused. Read every word. Then read them all again.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since March 1st, every reactionary arm chair GM has shown their ignorance by complaining about TD and the Bills lack of action during the first few days of free agency. Why?

Look at our current roster. What big name free agents do the Bills need?

QB-Losman

RB-McGahee

FB-Shelton

WR-Moulds

WR-Evans

TE-Campbell

LT-?

LG-Tucker

C-Teague

RG-Villarial

RT-M.Williams

RDE-Schobel

DT-Adams

DT-Edwards

LDE-Kelsay

SLB-Posey

MLB-Fletcher

WLB-Spikes

CB-Clements

CB-McGee

FS-Vincent

SS-Milloy

The qualifications, in my book, for a starting position that could be upgraded via free agency, are any position that is filled with a player who did not start last year (DT), was lost to free agency (LT), or did not perform at a starting level (LG).

LT: Jennings was the only starter on the market and his value was extremely inflated. Three options remain: draft, trade, convert a FA RT. Not much for the Bills to work with here and if they are still planning on utilizing FA, its best to let the price tags of the remaining RTs drop. Notice, no team is publicly pursuing any of the top RTs.

LG: The market is loaded at this position with top talent still remaining. Again, the longer a team waits the further the price tag drops. Additionally, there are many impact LGs in the draft and this could very well be our top pick.

DT: Pat Williams departure was planned for last season with the drafting of Tim Anderson who will platoon with another young, talented player in Ron Edwards. Bringing in a starter via FA, would further bury the two on the depth chart. Since we have comparable talent already, why not save money for other concerns?

As you can see, there aren't many holes for TD to fill in our starting roster. This is because he already has filled these holes. Adams, Fletcher, Posey, Spikes, Milloy, & Vincent are all free agent acquisitions. We should celebrate their standing on our team rather than complain about the need to unwrap another upper eschelon FA every season.

So we have three "holes" at starting positions: LT, LG, & DT. We should only be looking for depth at DT. LG will likely come from a strong rookie crop. And Henry has yet to be traded which should fill one of these holes, preferably the LT spot which leaves few FA options. So what else could we be looking for in FA? If you see the logic above, there is only one answer: depth.

For those who are still frustrated that TD didn't immediately snatch up some players to add depth, I would like to know which teams have? Depth is not add in the first few days of FA. This is why the period is referred to as a marathon and not a sprint. A player's value declines with every day so WAIT, fill these holes, and save money because the same people who are screaming for TD to sign a FA will be those screaming at TD if there is no money left to offer Clements a contract extension.

So what would constitute a successful offseason? This is my FA wishlist:

1.starting LT: only options are an older stop gap player or a young RT to convert to the left side

2.second string QB

3.third string QB

4.second string LT

5.third or fourth string CB

6.third or fourth string DT

7.third string TE?: depending on the health of Campbell and Euhus

FA is a tool of parity, begun in the aftermath of the Bills four Superbowl appearances, to help poor teams fill many holes in an offseason. Be happy that we are not jumping into free agency because we do not have the need. Have the Pats signed any gamebreaking players? The Steelers? Colts? But they have lost Ty Law and Plaxico Burress, etc. Players who are not worth the money they were scheduled to receive a la Jonas Jennings or even Pat Williams whose hometown discount did not come as advertised.

-----------------------------------

I do not agree with a stop gap or convert at LT. I think this position is WAY too important to merely "patch" especially with a young QB, But he is ON the money with the rest of this. I must admit that I feel "schooled".

Now, I dont think you sit pat with cap cash and let upgrades at non-need postions go either. You have cap cash, use it. Maybe that TD's view. He feels very good about what he has and feels he can get a cheaper LT, and draft a LG. Then let FA come to him and pick up studs at non-need positions. I like this because I believe that we rae not far away from the playoffs and beyond and adding a few studs can put us there.

Ty Law fits the non-need stud category and with the Milloy factor and his age, I think he can be had for a lot less than Lucas. Right now today, he is better than Lucas. Furthermore, this lessens the blow if Clements leaves next year. Law, Clements, Vincent, Milloy!!!!!!!!!!! Holy sh_t kids!!!

Justin1006 wrote this earlier today. I'm baffled that it's fallen to the 3rd page already. The fact that it has is proof that, sadly, a lot of people here are posting nonsense and over-reacting.

Justin1006 nailed it here guys... Please dont post again until you've read and understand the reality of this masterpiece.

Since March 1st, every reactionary arm chair GM has shown their ignorance by complaining about TD and the Bills lack of action during the first few days of free agency. Why?

QB-Losman

RB-McGahee

FB-Shelton

WR-Moulds

WR-Evans

TE-Campbell

LT-?

LG-Tucker

C-Teague

RG-Villarial

RT-M.Williams

RDE-Schobel

DT-Adams

DT-Edwards

LDE-Kelsay

SLB-Posey

MLB-Fletcher

WLB-Spikes

CB-Clements

CB-McGee

FS-Vincent

SS-Milloy

The qualifications, in my book, for a starting position that could be upgraded via free agency, are any position that is filled with a player who did not start last year (DT), was lost to free agency (LT), or did not perform at a starting level (LG).

LT: Jennings was the only starter on the market and his value was extremely inflated. Three options remain: draft, trade, convert a FA RT. Not much for the Bills to work with here and if they are still planning on utilizing FA, its best to let the price tags of the remaining RTs drop. Notice, no team is publicly pursuing any of the top RTs.

LG: The market is loaded at this position with top talent still remaining. Again, the longer a team waits the further the price tag drops. Additionally, there are many impact LGs in the draft and this could very well be our top pick.

DT: Pat Williams departure was planned for last season with the drafting of Tim Anderson who will platoon with another young, talented player in Ron Edwards. Bringing in a starter via FA, would further bury the two on the depth chart. Since we have comparable talent already, why not save money for other concerns?

As you can see, there aren't many holes for TD to fill in our starting roster. This is because he already has filled these holes. Adams, Fletcher, Posey, Spikes, Milloy, & Vincent are all free agent acquisitions. We should celebrate their standing on our team rather than complain about the need to unwrap another upper eschelon FA every season.

So we have three "holes" at starting positions: LT, LG, & DT. We should only be looking for depth at DT. LG will likely come from a strong rookie crop. And Henry has yet to be traded which should fill one of these holes, preferably the LT spot which leaves few FA options. So what else could we be looking for in FA? If you see the logic above, there is only one answer: depth.

For those who are still frustrated that TD didn't immediately snatch up some players to add depth, I would like to know which teams have? Depth is not add in the first few days of FA. This is why the period is referred to as a marathon and not a sprint. A player's value declines with every day so WAIT, fill these holes, and save money because the same people who are screaming for TD to sign a FA will be those screaming at TD if there is no money left to offer Clements a contract extension.

1.starting LT: only options are an older stop gap player or a young RT to convert to the left side

2.second string QB

3.third string QB

4.second string LT

FA is a tool of parity, begun in the aftermath of the Bills four Superbowl appearances, to help poor teams fill many holes in an offseason. Be happy that we are not jumping into free agency because we do not have the need. Have the Pats signed any gamebreaking players? The Steelers? Colts? But they have lost Ty Law and Plaxico Burress, etc. Players who are not worth the money they were scheduled to receive a la Jonas Jennings or even Pat Williams whose hometown discount did not come as advertised.

I do not agree with a stop gap or convert at LT. I think this position is WAY too important to merely "patch" especially with a young QB, But he is ON the money with the rest of this. I must admit that I feel "schooled".

Now, I dont think you sit pat with cap cash and let upgrades at non-need postions go either. You have cap cash, use it. Maybe that TD's view. He feels very good about what he has and feels he can get a cheaper LT, and draft a LG. Then let FA come to him and pick up studs at non-need positions. I like this because I believe that we rae not far away from the playoffs and beyond and adding a few studs can put us there.

Ty Law fits the non-need stud category and with the Milloy factor and his age, I think he can be had for a lot less than Lucas. Right now today, he is better  than Lucas. Furthermore, this lessens the blow if Clements leaves next year. Law, Clements, Vincent, Milloy!!!!!!!!!!! Holy sh_t kids!!!

262103[/snapback]

Nice post, thanks for sharing it with us.

So anyway, I thought it was a good post.

I think MW is ready to play the left side and we can get a free agent RT cheaper. I think Tucker, Teeague and Villarrial are fine on the interior. I really do. Christ at least we're not playing Smith and Pucillo.

I think Ron Edwards played great when Sam had his hissy fit and is ready to start in this league. Remember, Phat Pat didn't really come into his own until well into his 20s.

I think we need a third receiver but we don't have to overpay for one. I also think that if we can't get what we want for Travis then he can damn well sit on our bench this year and take advantage of the opportunity to prove himself in backup situations.

We need a backup QB but I'm not impressed enough with what's out there to pay the current going rate for the "popular" choices. I've got no problem waiting a while until the market shakes out.

I think we need to extend Nate Clements because he is all that, and because I don't want to go into 2006 with McGee as my top corner.

In closing, while I'd love to see some news now, I understand why nothing's happening, and I'm glad TD isn't listening to some of the banshees on here.

The football portion of this post was quite entertaining and had some very good points about why TD might be waiting to pull the trigger on any free agents. Thanks JP for posting Justin's thoughts onto this board, they were very well thought out.

Now, regarding the other crap flying around, I just don't understand why so many people on this board insist on flaming someone just because they post several football related items that are similarily related. Not all of us that visit this board visit it every day and read the same things over and over. There are some of us who check in a couple times a week to see whats going on in the Bills world. A post like this, that maybe has been mentioned earlier this week, might not have been seen by everyone. This is the first time that someone posted something that made sense, that I have seen. I've read a lot of other posts with people criticizing TD for a lack of movement in the FA period and this post just shows that there might be a reason why he hasn't made a move.

Take it easy on someone just because he posts here. If you see his name pop up and you don't like him (or her), don't read their post then.

JP-era:

I agree that it's a really good post, but in all honesty I think most of us who either 1) trust TD and/or 2) tend to not get freaked out after two or three days of free agency, already feel this way. On top of that, those of us who feel that the QB was the weakest link on the team are even less worried than those who really liked Drew here.

But, for the few folks on the board who are doomsdayers, it's very good reading. :devil:

PS. I agree with dib.....I'm not sure how you convert a FART either. I don't think that is scientifically possible.

JP-era:

I agree that it's a really good post, but in all honesty I think most of us who either 1) trust TD and/or 2) tend to not get freaked out after two or three days of free agency, already feel this way. On top of that, those of us who feel that the QB was the weakest link on the team are even less worried than those who really liked Drew here.

262229[/snapback]

Good point. TD's already made the most important move this off-season,

everything else is just icing on the cake.

QB-Losman

RB-McGahee

FB-Shelton

WR-Moulds

WR-Evans

TE-Campbell

LT-?

LG-Tucker

C-Teague

RG-Villarial

RT-M.Williams

RDE-Schobel

DT-Adams

DT-Edwards

LDE-Kelsay

SLB-Posey

MLB-Fletcher

WLB-Spikes

CB-Clements

CB-McGee

FS-Vincent

SS-Milloy

2.second string QB

3.third string QB

4.second string LT

Ty Law fits the non-need stud category and with the Milloy factor and his age, I think he can be had for a lot less than Lucas. Right now today, he is better  than Lucas. Furthermore, this lessens the blow if Clements leaves next year. Law, Clements, Vincent, Milloy!!!!!!!!!!! Holy sh_t kids!!!

262103[/snapback]

The problem is not that we lost so many or too many starters, it is that this team did not make the playoffs. We need to get better, not just hold the line. At best, we new starterts that play as well as Jennings and Williams did, at best. That doesn't make us any better.

I think we need a LG as well as a LT to improve. We could also use more production from Posey's position. He has mostly underwhelmed. For a defense this good, he should be making more plays with the opposition having to worry about London, Spikes, Clements and all those safety blitzes with Milloy and later, Vincent. Depth on both lines is an issue. How would you feel about this defensive line if Adams goes down with an injury now that Pat is gone? We appear to be about to lose Price which means we would be losing not only the starting LT but his back-up as well.

Its not reason to jump off a cliff with crazy free agent signings but at the same time, lets not pretend that there are no serious holes in this roster.

All the angst and public spasms of hysteria over the Willis/Travis situation and the Drew/JP thing is wasted if the line gets blown away at the snap. I don't care how good Willis and JP are, there never has been an offensive system or group of players so good that they didn't need people to block.

JP-era:

But, for the few folks on the board who are doomsdayers, it's very good reading.   :devil:

PS. I agree with dib.....I'm not sure how you convert a FART either. I don't think that is scientifically possible.

262229[/snapback]

BTW, your avatar....

it's spelled: Buon Giorno. :ph34r:

BTW, your avatar....

it's spelled: Buon Giorno.  :ph34r:

262269[/snapback]

Well see, that's how it's spelled in Italian.........I was going for the 'Ignorant American' version :devil: