WGR is aggravating me

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found it rather strange the amount of support Bledsoe has been receiving during this past few weeks from most of the hosts on WGR...

I don't remember any of these guys during the season saying "no matter how bad Bledsoe sucks the rest of this year, we MUST bring him back or NO PLAYOFFS!"...I seem to remember them all saying Bledsoe sucked...etc..

Strange..

very Strange...

I would hate to think that so many opinions changed about Bledsoe at WGR just for ratings and to "stir things up"...

They don't talk about the Bills but god damn, Don & Mike are hilarious and a pleasant alternative to sports radio.  (3-7pm Mon-Fri, 92.9 WBUF).

262015[/snapback]

I like Don and Mike very much...

Not to sound like a tight-ass but I think they are even better since they have toned down the rhettoric about Bush and "cleaned up" some of the more "seedy" content they use to have..

They are solid, and IMHO funnier than Stern in many respects...

I have found it rather strange the amount of support Bledsoe has been receiving during this past few weeks from most of the hosts on WGR...

I don't remember any of these guys during the season saying "no matter how bad Bledsoe sucks the rest of this year, we MUST bring him back or NO PLAYOFFS!"...I seem to remember them all saying Bledsoe sucked...etc..

Strange..

very Strange...

I would hate to think that so many opinions changed about Bledsoe at WGR just for ratings and to "stir things up"...

262016[/snapback]

I agree. Not sure what QB would be "right" in this situation for them. Although I will say that today while I was listening Schopp was more or less pleased, Bulldog a little less, I have not listened to the others as much lately. I know Simon never really gave a strong sense either way except for the point brought up on the last page, which sets him apart from most other radio personalities in that his shows are usually not argument driven.

That said - has anyone "called" the hosts on some of this? I did hear a caller I think before the Browns game this year call up and give Sully an earful about how he was wrong and he should apologize for writing off the season - and while I hate Sully at least he conceded the point he was wrong, but that was his job and opinion, etc. As far as I know these guys seem to be like ICE, shifting the view to remain demonstrative, as AD alluded to.

I wonder what their response would be to a question like that - how come the Bills were doomed to fail with Bledsoe here, and now doomed since he is gone?? Also, I know Brad and Jeremy have been on the board before, if for some reason they read this thread, I hope they would respond. They are open to criticism for putting out their views and then supposedly changing them. Anyways, who knows. I was just pissed they spent the whole afternoon talking about JP instead of giving FA news (although there was apparently none to give lol).

I haven't listened to WGR much but could their stance have been "Get rid of Bledsoe but bring in somebody else...?" They, like most Bills fans, were probably calling for Bledsoe's head but maybe not with the assumption that Losman would be starting right away. I really don't know, I'm not trying to defend them, just trying to decipher their thoughts.

WGR is in ratings trouble. They are doing worse now than they did when WNSA was competing with them! What they are doing is stirring the pot. They are trying to bring back the ghost of "the Coach."

The problem is, with the exception of Howard Simon, the yakmeisters on 'GR have Z-E-R-O cred. They have embarressed themselves so often the last few years, no one takes them seriously.

PTR

WGR is in ratings trouble.  They are doing worse now than they did when WNSA was competing with them!  What they are doing is stirring the pot.  They are trying to bring back the ghost of "the Coach."

The problem is, with the exception of Howard Simon, the yakmeisters on 'GR have Z-E-R-O cred.  They have embarressed themselves so often the last few years, no one takes them seriously.

PTR

262029[/snapback]

Don't know where you get your info, but the latest book (fall book) showed WGR has having its best ratings in three years. Obviously they benefitted from the demise of 107.7 and an exciting Bills season and the addition of Howard Simon...so it'll be interesting to see what the dropoff will be in the winter book.

That said - has anyone "called" the hosts on some of this?

I've heard people try to question the hosts sometime and they usually hang up on them. Coach DICKerson used to do that all the time and even insult the callers.

I seem to be the only one here, but I really like Schoop and the Bulldog.  When either is going solo, I don't like it so much, but they've jelled into a good team.  I like their ten opinions in a row (although I can't stand their HOF deselection committee).

262009[/snapback]

I like Schoop & the Bulldog. :devil:

Also, I know Brad and Jeremy have been on the board before, if for some reason they read this thread, I hope they would respond. They are open to criticism for putting out their views and then supposedly changing them.

Yeah Guys, I do read this board. Sorry that so many of you aren't fans of mine, but it comes with the territory you know? I can take it.

Hopefully I can be as good at it as J.P. claims to be.

Regarding positions and how they change sometimes. I support the decision to go to Losman, I just think that the Bills took apart a playoff team this year. If Drew came back, they make the postseason. Superbowl? No...but at least a postseason berth, which would be nice.

I've lived here since 2001, and I haven't had ONE postseason game. I'm anxious. It may sound like opinions change from time to time, but keep in mind...there's a big part of us that is nothing more than a fan. We change our minds, just like you do.

Hope you guys all listen in the mornings...and hope i don't make you crazy.

Jer

Also, I know Brad and Jeremy have been on the board before, if for some reason they read this thread, I hope they would respond.  They are open to criticism for putting out their views and then supposedly changing them.

Yeah Guys, I do read this board.  Sorry that so many of you aren't fans of mine, but it comes with the territory you know?  I can take it.

Regarding positions and how they change sometimes.  I support the decision to go to Losman, I just think that the Bills took apart a playoff team this year.  If Drew came back, they make the postseason.  Superbowl?  No...but at least a postseason berth, which would be nice.

I've lived here since 2001, and I haven't had ONE postseason game.  I'm anxious.  It may sound like opinions change from time to time, but keep in mind...there's a big part of us that is nothing more than a fan.  We change our minds, just like you do.

Jer

262071[/snapback]

Nice post. I have no problem with you and Howard together. But during his vacation, Brad made me want to pull my hair out. I also am worried about Losman getting handed the starting job, but if we waited another year, then we'd be rebuilding next offseason.

Also, I know Brad and Jeremy have been on the board before, if for some reason they read this thread, I hope they would respond.  They are open to criticism for putting out their views and then supposedly changing them.

Yeah Guys, I do read this board.  Sorry that so many of you aren't fans of mine, but it comes with the territory you know?  I can take it.

Regarding positions and how they change sometimes.  I support the decision to go to Losman, I just think that the Bills took apart a playoff team this year.  If Drew came back, they make the postseason.  Superbowl?  No...but at least a postseason berth, which would be nice.

I've lived here since 2001, and I haven't had ONE postseason game.  I'm anxious.  It may sound like opinions change from time to time, but keep in mind...there's a big part of us that is nothing more than a fan.  We change our minds, just like you do.

Jer

262071[/snapback]

You're still dreamy Jeremy...But I liked you better at night...I think you and Brad made a more "natural" team ...

Just my opinion :devil:

Don't know where you get your info, but the latest book (fall book) showed WGR has having its best ratings in three years. Obviously they benefitted from the demise of 107.7 and an exciting Bills season and the addition of Howard Simon...so it'll be interesting to see what the dropoff will be in the winter book.

Sure their book will go up in the fall it's, Bills Season.

They bought out the other sports station so where else are you going to go to listen about sports.

Fall book is misleading because in part of the Bills season you have to include the Kevin, Bob and Puff show, which by the way I don't think one of their off sports topic included APPLESAUCE.

gr had a fall-04 3.1 book (after the nsa buyout) up from fall-03 2.6 (wnsa fall-03 1.7 while howard worked). The winter book should drop as there was no hockey on gr, they dropped UB basketball and Bison baseball, so no cross pimping from their sister stations.

And finally, somebody screwed up at gr when they lost their HIGH VISIABLITY advertising location at the Bills game which could not help their $$ bottomline.

WGR's following the sports talk radio playbook too closely, having a 2-man "good cop/bad cop" format for the sake of generating controversy (or filling dead air time!). 

Howard's strong enough to handle his time slot solo and should be given the freedom to go back to being himself, rather than being forced to fit into the WGR mold (are you listening Gregg Reid??).  Same goes for Chris Parker.

261823[/snapback]

Absolutely, cut the rope and let Howard do his thing. He was the "franchise guy" at WNSA and was single handedly killing WGR in the ratings.

Jer

262071[/snapback]

Thanks for responding, I more or less agree. Personally after being a season ticket holder the last 2 years I think I saw the most we could get out of Bledsoe - and it wasn't anything more than 9-7 and no playoffs. I don't think he is capable at this stage in his career of taking that next step.

Now I don't expect JP to be the MVP, but I think he is worth a shot, and if he fails, he fails. Then it will be all on Donahoe because he will be 0-2 for QBs and 0-1 with coaches, pending Mularkey.

Thanks for coming on, though, I wasn't trying to be callous by adding that to my post, just figured you or Brad would be roaming (I heard Bauch metion TBD yesterday afternoon) and might want to interject. I don't hear WGR too often because I go to school in Rochester, but I like the morning show when I am up that early and listen, which is usually too early for me!

Don't know where you get your info, but the latest book (fall book) showed WGR has having its best ratings in three years.  Obviously they benefitted from the demise of 107.7 and an exciting Bills season and the addition of Howard Simon...so it'll be interesting to see what the dropoff will be in the winter book.

262030[/snapback]

WGR has done very well lately in ALL the core demos they strive for. People "think" they know the ratings game when they actually have no clue how to read and understand it. It's not as easy as looking at the overall number and saying this book is great or this book is horrible.

Sure their book will go up in the fall it's, Bills Season.

They bought out the other sports station so where else are you going to go to listen about sports.

Fall book is misleading because in part of the Bills season you have to include the Kevin, Bob and Puff show, which by the way I don't think one of their off sports topic included APPLESAUCE.

gr had a fall-04 3.1 book (after the nsa buyout) up from fall-03 2.6 (wnsa fall-03 1.7 while howard worked). The winter book should drop as there was no hockey on gr, they dropped UB basketball and Bison baseball, so no cross pimping from their sister stations.

And finally, somebody screwed up at gr when they lost their HIGH VISIABLITY advertising location at the Bills game which could not help their $$ bottomline.

262281[/snapback]

Im sure the guys at WGR will find a suitable parking spot with "HIGH VISABILITY" that replaces your lot just fine. B-)

Im sure the guys at WGR will find a suitable parking spot with "HIGH VISABILITY" that replaces your lot just fine.

The purpose of guerilla advertising is try for highest visibilty while paying less than the major player. Right next to my lot is a 4,000 parking lot, and within easy walking distance of the stadium, hhhmmm.

Down the road and limited target market visibilty BTI. Did you see them this year all jammed in. Where was their hook like they had a Hammer's Lot? Dannies ever thou their ad sez they are right across from the stadium??!!!(Why do they have a trolley to the stadium) even farther.

The other side of the Ralph, venders row and Mulligans is hooked up with Citadel. Savanahs charges $20 per car space and from what I heard is turned off with past dealing with radio stations.

Where?? What Say You?