Starks to the Pats

Pats need corners, what do they do, they trade a third rounder to the Cards for Duane Starks, because, as Peter King puts it, he has fallen out of favor with Denny Green. Does green like anyone?

Man Pats cut Law, get this guy to replace at a qtr of the Cap value, and only give up a third. Now, dudes been hurt, but still, helps to shore up what once looked like a wekness for the Patsies at the end of the season

"Been hurt" is putting it mildly.  He's missed a ton of games recently and I believe one of his injuries was a torn ACL.

260411[/snapback]

I guess that is why only a third. But, I think we saw last year some guys can make it back after ACLs. They actuaaly said in the article Denny does not think he can make it through a season, so you are right on RRich

he has fallen out of favor with Denny Green. Does green like anyone?

Nobody was listening to me (and a few others) when people were clamoring to hire Green as our HC. The guy is overrated and sucks big time. Plus, his character is pretty weak (numerous sexual assault type things).

CW

Nobody was listening to me (and a few others) when people were clamoring to hire Green as our HC.  The guy is overrated and sucks big time.  Plus, his character is pretty weak (numerous sexual assault type things).

CW

260414[/snapback]

Did you say something?

"Been hurt" is putting it mildly.  He's missed a ton of games recently and I believe one of his injuries was a torn ACL.

260411[/snapback]

Yes he tore up his knee 2 years ago. But he was good last year and should be better this year. Prior to that he was very, very solid and one of the best corners in the league.

He however doesn't tackle well and really doesn't support the run defense.

Yes he tore up his knee 2 years ago.  But he was good last year and should be better this year.  Prior to that he was very, very solid and one of the best corners in the league. 

He however doesn't tackle well and really doesn't support the run defense.

260422[/snapback]

Yeah, run support was never his thing. He was drafted for his coverage abilities and his speed (4.3) and athleticism. Before the injuries, he was very solid, much like Chad Scott of the Steelers.

I guess that is why only a third. But, I think we saw last year some guys can make it back after ACLs. They actuaaly said in the article Denny does not think he can make it through a season, so you are right on RRich

260413[/snapback]

starks never tore an acl

BUt, ya know what...the Pats got it done.  We have no LT, and TD is playing poker with Green, a nut.  Just throw in the pick TD and let move on to signing a G, DT, TE, RB, etc.

260428[/snapback]

Making predications based on limited information is a difficult thing to do, but in this particular case I'll go out on a ledge and predict that you've never negotiated anything in your life beyond the purchase of a car for which you are currently upside down.

You don't just randomly give something away...something you probably don't have to give away...simply because you see someone else getting an injured player by giving up a third round pick. There's negotiating business and conducting it on your own terms, and there is panicking.

Starks was a nice pick-up for the Pats considering their over-all strong roster depth, but weak CB depth with Poole & Law gone. But for most other teams, including the Bills, I don't think Starks is worth a #3.

Isn't that why he missed the '03 season?  I thought it was an ACL injury.

260457[/snapback]

He did. Last year he missed a few game due to neck and hamstring problems.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2314

then he missed all of 2003 after tearing an anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in a preseason game against Chicago.

Making predications based on limited information is a difficult thing to do, but in this particular case I'll go out on a ledge and predict that you've never negotiated anything in your life beyond the purchase of a car for which you are currently upside down.

You don't just randomly give something away...something you probably don't have to give away...simply because you see someone else getting an injured player by giving up a third round pick. There's negotiating business and conducting it on your own terms, and there is panicking.

Actually, LA, I negotiate often as part of my job. The problem is, and I learned early on in my career, that sometimes you don't deal from a position of strength. At that point, you make the move you have to make in order to get what you need. It is better to overpay and actually have what you need, than to not pay at all and have nothing.

At this point in time, there are very few quality LT options available to the Bills. We are starting a rookie QB. We just lost our starting LT to FA. Our O was called out by our GM and blamed for a non-playoff season.

Conversely, from Arizona's perspective, there are plenty of options at RB. Arizona is actually dealing from a position of strength here. Not us.

Therefore, in my opinion, it is better to overpay within reason (4-5th rd pick) and have a starting quality LT, than to have no LT at all. You can overplay your hand when negotiating and TD may do it this time.

Starks was a nice pick-up for the Pats considering their over-all strong roster depth, but weak CB depth with Poole & Law gone. But for most other teams, including the Bills, I don't think Starks is worth a #3.

260460[/snapback]

Poole isn't gone...he's still on the team.