So, lent people

dib

almost half way through. How is everyone doing? I've lost some weight because of what I've given up (booze, etc.) So I'm thinking, maybe I should just quit all together.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I stopped giving up things for lent when I stopped going to catholic schools.

260274[/snapback]

Same here. Never been happier since I left the Catholic Church. The whole idea of "giving something up" for lent didn't make much sense to me. If you're going to sacrifice, why not do it the entire year?

The idea of giving up something for lent is cute for the kids. Teach them sacrafice. If you're a true believer that your god gave up his son for you, don't ya think you could give up not chewing gum or hitting the sauce for good?

Jesus Saves! ... And Satan scores on the rebound!

The idea of giving up something for lent is cute for the kids. Teach them sacrafice. If you're a true believer that your god gave up his son for you, don't ya think you could give up not chewing gum or hitting the sauce for good?

Jesus Saves! ... And Satan scores on the rebound!

260332[/snapback]

Its not alwyas about sacrifice, I talked to my priest about this a couple years ago, and he said the point of lent isnt to sacrifice something, but to do something to improve yourself. Giving up chocolate is cute for the kids, yes. But we need to do the same: Give up alcohol, and then after lent, don't pick it up again. This was a start, now keep it going. He used to tell me that being nicer to people, or saying please and thank you, is just as good as giving up McDonalds.

Its not alwyas about sacrifice, I talked to my priest about this a couple years ago, and he said the point of lent isnt to sacrifice something, but to do something to improve yourself. Giving up chocolate is cute for the kids, yes. But we need to do the same: Give up alcohol, and then after lent, don't pick it up again. This was a start, now keep it going. He used to tell me that being nicer to people, or saying please and thank you, is just as good as giving up McDonalds.

260345[/snapback]

First, you shouldn't need a reason to say please and thank you, and if you do, you're a miserable person anyway.

Second, your priest has a good stand on it, and I like that way of thinking. (just maybe not the example).. :doh:

First, you shouldn't need a reason to say please and thank you, and if you do, you're a miserable person anyway.

Whuh? Were you brought up by wolves? It's basic courtesy. Politeness. Makes me crazy when someone bumps me, or stands in front of me if I'm looking at something in a store. No excuse me, no sorry. Nothing wrong with being courteous.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Whuh?  Were you brought up by wolves?  It's basic courtesy.  Politeness.  Makes me crazy when someone bumps me, or stands in front of me if I'm looking at something in a store. No excuse me, no sorry. Nothing wrong with being courteous.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

260362[/snapback]

Did you actually read what I said? I said you shouldn't need a reason to say please and thank you. As in, you shouldn't need it to be "Lent" to say please and thank you. You should do it anyway.

Did you actually read what I said? I said you shouldn't need a reason to say please and thank you. As in, you shouldn't need it to be "Lent" to say please and thank you. You should do it anyway.

260369[/snapback]

Well that's the point, for those people that are rude and obnoxious.... Lent is a chance for them to start saying please and thank you, as well as just be politer. I'm not saying that we all need that, but I know we can think of certain people that could use the help.

Perhaps a better example would be kicking a bad habit (smoking, drinking, drugs) or start excercise, doing a good deed a day (I did this once, and it does carry over).

260369[/snapback]

ah, you mean you shouldnt need Lent to say please and thank you. As happens so often I have misinterpreted a thread.

Please forgive me.

Thank You.

ah, you mean you shouldnt need Lent to say please and thank you.  As happens so often I have misinterpreted a thread.

Please forgive me.

Thank You.

260383[/snapback]

No need to apologize. Thank you for admitting your error. Please don't think I was angry. Thanks.