Wall Street Firm attempting to buy....

Well, it wouldn't quite work that way...

Each team would be bought with a number based on their current market value. I'm presuming that's how they came up with the $3.5 billion. It really wouldn't be fair to the larger market teams that are worth more than $110 million right now.

261274[/snapback]

I don't know for sure, all I'm saying is what I heard on ESPN Radio this morning. That's not the way it was reported although it makes the most sense. And we all know ESPN is never wrong.... :ph34r: (note the sarcasm)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He basically put up $20mil in cash and assumed some arena debt, which was restrctured.  I recall the total stated price was about $50MM - $60MM, but the money that Golisano was at risk for, was significantly less.  The reason for the fire sale is that Sabres were losing $10MM-$20MM/yr and the new owner would have to subsidize the team for the forseeable future.

261281[/snapback]

Wow, that was a pretty good deal regardless regardless of how much money the team was supposedly losing.

Pretend you're the manager of the Buffalo office/team.  Like just about every management position I've ever heard of, you have a fiduciary incentive (ie, you make more money) when your team/office performs at a high level - or at least better than the previous year.  Why would you send your best personnel to a different team?

260822[/snapback]

The original post I responded to talked about *the league* moving the players to a bigger market, since they own everything - political pressure, etc. Obviously, this wouldn't be the case, since each team should be autonomous and operate separately from each other - just as they do now.

But my point was this....it would be pretty bad for the league if the owners walked up to the Lightning and said "Trade Martin St. Louis to the Red Wings, since he'll get more exposure there and it'll be better for the league", regardless of whether or not his contract was up. It's kinda over the top to even think something like that, but I think that's what the original thought was.

The original post I responded to talked about *the league* moving the players to a bigger market, since they own everything - political pressure, etc. Obviously, this wouldn't be the case, since each team should be autonomous and operate separately from each other - just as they do now.

But my point was this....it would be pretty bad for the league if the owners walked up to the Lightning and said "Trade Martin St. Louis to the Red Wings, since he'll get more exposure there and it'll be better for the league", regardless of whether or not his contract was up. It's kinda over the top to even think something like that, but I think that's what the original thought was.

261296[/snapback]

For those who think that would not happen, seeing players moved to more de$ireable markets, are fooling themselves.

If this ever happened, you might as well contract the Buffalo Sabres.

An update:

3/4/2005

TORONTO - It appears that $3.5 billion US may have just been a starting point for two U.S. firms that made a joint proposal to buy the entire National Hockey League.

According to a report in Friday's Toronto Star, a Wall Street financial services corporation and a sports advisory firm are prepared to substantially increase their initial offer of $3.5 billion US to purchase the 30 NHL teams.

Bain Capital Partners and Game Plan International - both based in Boston - made the initial offer to the league Tuesday in New York.

In a 30-minute presentation to NHL owners and commissioner Gary Bettman, the companies outlined a plan for the league to operate under single ownership.

261296[/snapback]

Couple of points here.

# 1) the value of the teams as determined by Forbes or Fortune or whoever does this team value thing was around 4.6B before the lockout.

#2) I know what all all saying about competitive balance and all being good for the league. But let me ask you this. Lets say this Crosby kid turns out to be the next Gtetsky, and Buffalo drafted him. He starts lighting it up to the tune of 160pts a year with the new rules in place. You really think they are gonna leave this guy in Buffalo? Or are they going to move in to one of the top markets in terms of the ability to generate revenue? Remeber, the boys at the top will only care about profits, not which GM is going to get a bonus based upon his won lost record.

. Now the flip side of that is we couldn't afford him now, so whats the differance. But, that is where I hope the cap comes in.