Study: Pats fans better than Packer fans? Bills are 16th.

I never post here anymore but I just couldn't let this one go. I've lived in New England for 16 years. There is literally NOTHING worse than a New England sports fan. They are insufferable.

A lot of Pats fans I know barely watch the regular season. Like they can't be bothered until it's time for the playoffs.

They are near the bottom of the barrel in terms of fandom. But sure, if you want to measure a fanbase solely by its purchasing power, knock yourself out.

All I recall is us shutting the Pats* out and their stadium empty with 8 minutes left in a 2 score game. That told me all I needed to know about how loyal Pats* fans are

Wow you're not getting this. This study never mentions the word "loyalty". It's primarily about dollars spent.

This is the problem with "analytics". You put in subjective data and you get a crap answer. Looks like cash in was a heavy factor in this list. Low cash areas like KC and Greenbay got trounced. It's a bad list.

Unless you're a business with an interest in making cash. Then the analysis starts to a make a bit of sense.

A lot of Pats fans I know barely watch the regular season. Like they can't be bothered until it's time for the playoffs.

They are near the bottom of the barrel in terms of fandom. But sure, if you want to measure a fanbase solely by its purchasing power, knock yourself out.

uh, yeah...that's what happens when the regular season is basically a 16 game pre-season for you.

Patriots fans have the luxury of knowing the division and a #1/#2 seed is guaranteed. The biggest thing about the regular season is hoping no one major gets hurt.

We expect to be in/win the Superbowl every year. The amount of success has been so high that the AFCCG is a given.

16 years of Brady

11 AFCCG appearances

7 SB appearances

Simply a product of unprecedented success.

and yes most Pats fans outside of NE are bandwagoners, but in NE, its a very small %. The fandom has always been there its just more involved and intense since Parcells in 1994. Hell, the FANS just voted Raymond Clayborn to the Pats HOF.

Being a fan in NE goes like this...all 4 teams are beloved and have countless fans, the main focus of the fans will be on which of the 4 is doing best at that moment. That's what happens when all 4 teams win/compete for multiple titles in a decade.

Edited by Runninrams

except when they weren't. Like 20k people showing up for a Bills/Colts game...1984???? I was there.

Bills fans are the best... just ask anyone of them.

how many bills fans watched the ending of the Cowboy super bowls. I was at the Pasadena game and I left before it ended.

Yeah, I mean our fans have done alright but could you imagine a Pats playoff game not selling out?

It happened to us. The greatest comeback in history (until the Pats bested us again in the SB) wasn't even televised because we didn't sell it out. Most people walked out early, or listened on the radio.

Couldn't imagine that happening now, but the fact that it did, in the "glory" years kind of says something.

Not the worst, but not the best either.

Yeah, I mean our fans have done alright but could you imagine a Pats playoff game not selling out?

It happened to us. The greatest comeback in history (until the Pats bested us again in the SB) wasn't even televised because we didn't sell it out. Most people walked out early, or listened on the radio.

Couldn't imagine that happening now, but the fact that it did, in the "glory" years kind of says something.

Not the worst, but not the best either.

They had like 3-4 days to sell tickets without online sales. Bad weather forecast against a team who just kicked their teeth in.... and with some key injuries. 80,000 seat stadium. The attendance that date would fill today's New Era Field and then some (as well as Sullivan Stadium and Gillette).

Those are pretty valid reasons... different time. If you saddled the present day Patriots with the identical set of circumstances, I wouldnt be surprised to see them not sell out.

Now, present day they sell playoff tickets well ahead of time (during the season), there is online and a secondary market that both quickly take hold. I feel pretty secure in saying that any Bills playoff games in present day would easily be sold out and also huge on the secondary market. You say you cant imagine the Patriots not selling out a playoff game. The same goes with the Bills.

How many teams do you think could get as many paid fans into the building as the Bills at this point? 17 year drought for sniffing the playoffs (Hardly even a big game) and 21 years for a playoff win. It is pretty remarkable and any fan of the NFL would say the same. Any 'subjective' look at fan-bases that doesnt favor market size or team success would see the Bills near the top. Shooting from the hip, I would say Packers, Bills, Eagles, Broncos, Chiefs, Giants, Cowboys, Vikings, Browns, Steelers should all be up there in the top 10.

I would be curious to see how Gillette Stadium sells in a post Brady/Belichick era if the batons aren't handed off neatly and they languish for any period of time. Just curious, maybe they still sell out, I dont know. I have a lot of friends who are Patriots fans and to a man, they really dont particularly enjoy the gameday experience of going to Gillette (outside of meaningful NFL games).

Edited by May Day 10

They had like 3-4 days to sell tickets without online sales. Bad weather forecast against a team who just kicked their teeth in.... and with some key injuries. 80,000 seat stadium. The attendance that date would fill today's New Era Field and then some (as well as Sullivan Stadium and Gillette).

Those are pretty valid reasons... different time. Now, they sell playoff tickets well ahead of time, there is online and a secondary market that both quickly take hold. I feel pretty secure in saying that any Bills playoff games in present day would easily be sold out and also huge on the secondary market. You say you cant imagine the Patriots not selling out a playoff game. The same goes with the Bills.

How many teams do you think could get as many paid fans into the building as the Bills at this point? 17 year drought for sniffing the playoffs (Hardly even a big game) and 21 years for a playoff win. It is pretty remarkable and any fan of the NFL would say the same. Any 'subjective' look at fan-bases that doesnt favor market size or team success would see the Bills near the top. Shooting from the hip, I would say Packers, Bills, Eagles, Broncos, Chiefs, Giants, Cowboys, Vikings, Browns, Steelers should all be up there in the top 10.

I would be curious to see how Gillette Stadium sells in a post Brady/Belichick era if the batons aren't handed off neatly and they languish for any period of time. Just curious, maybe they still sell out, I dont know. I have a lot of friends who are Patriots fans and to a man, they really dont particularly enjoy the gameday experience of going to Gillette (outside of meaningful NFL games).

I've heard this entire argument before. Its excuses bro.

We didn't go to a playoff game because the team we were playing beat us before?

Worst excuse in history. Especially during those years when we had a chance against any team in the league.

Also, I wasn't commenting on the article. It's trash. Just that some fans seem to forget that maybe we were a little spoiled and acted like it.

No way do we not sellout a playoff game no matter who it's against now. It would be a city wide holiday.

Edited by likei've

I've heard this entire argument before. Its excuses bro.

We didn't go to a playoff game because the team we're playing beat us before?

Worst excuse in history. Especially during those years when we had a chance against any team in the league.

Also, I wasn't commenting on the article. It's trash. Just that some fans seem to forget that maybe we were a little spoiled and acted like it.

I revised the post to say that if the Pats in present day, somehow faced the same circumstances, they wouldnt sell out either in all likelihood. In the Patriots' run, they haven't been close to those circumstances.

There is a spoiled-ness that occurs with fanbases with extended success. It happened to a degree with the Bills. We saw it with the Atlanta Braves. Detroit Red Wings have had spells where they struggled to sell tickets, including playoff games. I don't think Pats fans have even been tested in... what seems to be forever.

Edited by May Day 10