Rick Dennison interview on WGR

Yes average or as I said midrange. Romans offenses have always had bottom ranked pass offenses from the time he became a coach. I don't think Tyrod is ever going to be that top 10 guy or even our long term franchise QB that we have craved since Jim Kelly. He is what we have for now though and IMO we could do a lot worse.

Yes the defense was also average. I am not one of those that said they were the worst. Just like I am not one of those that think Tyrod was the worst.

There are many ways to build a team. Having a top 10 QB is the best way, but just that doesn't even get you superbowls. If it did then Brees and Rodgers would have a lot more under their belt. When you don't have a QB like that then you need to build your team in others ways such as strong defenses and running games. That is how our team was built... to have a top running game and top defense. People point out the defense because of all the money spent there they were average and that shouldn't have been.

We built our offense around ball control, not turning it over, and ground and pound. That may not sit well with a lot of people on the board for various reasons, but we can say that that was the intended offensive identity. Tyrod was not great, but we can say sufficient since he at the very least presided over an offense that was in the top 10 or so in scoring. The Niners playoff teams under harbaugh had similar offensive splits, and nearly won a super bowl.

The biggest flaw in building a team around this identity, was that we were lacked the defense to implement this offense. We were near the bottom of the league in both rushing defense, and takeaways. You can't run a ground and pound offense, when your defense can't get off the field.

The 49ers DID have a defense that excelled in both these categories - hence why they were great in an era when passing numbers have exploded. They were confident not turning it over and winning tight games.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a scoring league. The team that scores the most points wins.

When TT played, we scored a lot of points. He's not a great QB but he's far from the worst.

What's the quickest way to score on offense? and how does every team, except one, get the majority of their points?

What's the quickest way to score on offense? and how does every team, except one, get the majority of their points?

You might be surprised:

Dallas had 25 passing TDs and 24 rushing TDs

Cincinnati had 18 passing TDs and 17 rushing TDs

Just saying we aren't the only team that scores by rushing.

You might be surprised:

Dallas had 25 passing TDs and 24 rushing TDs

Cincinnati had 18 passing TDs and 17 rushing TDs

Just saying we aren't the only team that scores by rushing.

Cam Newton is averaging 8 TD a season (rushing) from the QB position.