Grading the Bills' draft day trades...

Found this article that was published yesterday...it provides an optimistic perspective (supported by data) regarding the Bills' moves in this year's draft. While acknowledging that trading up is almost never a good idea, the data suggests the Bills' "losses" in their two trades up into the 2nd round were negligible, and more than offset by a significant gain in their trade down.

Found this article that was published yesterday...it provides an optimistic perspective (supported by data) regarding the Bills' moves in this year's draft. While acknowledging that trading up is almost never a good idea, the data suggests the Bills' "losses" in their two trades up into the 2nd round were negligible, and more than offset by a significant gain in their trade down.

I've seen some people dispute the value of the 2018 1st. The practical rule in actual trades is to discount them by a round, but people disagree on whether the discount should apply to the counting of total draft capital. There are a lot of different trade charts floating around, as well.

If you do discount the value, then according to the chart in the article, the worst case scenario is that Buffalo comes out of the 1st trade at -29. If you don't, then as the article says, the worst case is +75. More likely, KC finishes with something like the 24th pick. With the discount, that is -11. Without, it's +128. Breakeven for the discount is KC with the 20th pick.

Edited by SoFFacet

Excellent article, as was the Vox article that it linked to. I was not a fan of the trade ups, but the Bills did not give up too much, so I can live with it. (I'll be pretty unhappy if Curtis Samuel becomes a star, though.) And I'm very happy to have an extra first next year. And no, not so they can use it to trade up...

I just don't buy the whole discount trades by 1 round if it's a year later thing. It's stupid. Are we going to feel next year's 1st from Kansas City actually feels like a 2nd. Of course not, it's a dumb idea

I agree. I don't understand the logic behind it. Seems like simply a perception thing. The 2018 1st Round pick, is a 2018 1st round pick. Next year we won't look at trade partners and value that pick as a 2nd rounder.