Three is the Key: 2017 Draft

Lots of threads on here about who's going to be the Bills #1 pick...but I think OBD needs to take a wider view approach this year. They've got so many roster holes that they need to focus on getting three quality players out of the first four rounds. How is this different? It means you'll be watching the top 9 picks to see who's stil there knowing the real key is to couple your top pick with your second round pick as a set of players rather than hoping to hit a home run with one swing. They need to play 'small ball' in this Draft. WR, CB, LB, S, TE and whoever else they like but they MUST get three starters out of this one!

Lots of threads on here about who's going to be the Bills #1 pick...but I think OBD needs to take a wider view approach this year. They've got so many roster holes that they need to focus on getting three quality players out of the first four rounds. How is this different? It means you'll be watching the top 9 picks to see who's stil there knowing the real key is to couple your top pick with your second round pick as a set of players rather than hoping to hit a home run with one swing. They need to play 'small ball' in this Draft. WR, CB, LB, S, TE and whoever else they like but they MUST get three starters out of this one!

What becomes the goal for 2017 with the three "small ball players" Playoffs? We lost three small ballers with Gilmore, Woods and Gillislee.

I don't totally disagree with your premise, but if the opportunity to land a true superstar like myles garret, who could very well have a 10 year NFL career were to present itself through a trade opportunity, that wouldn't offend me. Or if a QB who the team thinks has more potential than Taylor is there, I wouldn't be offended with that pick either. Like it or not with a new HC and a roster that doesn't appear to be better than last years (maybe Ragland and Shaq will alter that), I am not sure the team should be focused on 2017 roster holes.

What becomes the goal for 2017 with the three "small ball players" Playoffs? We lost three small ballers with Gilmore, Woods and Gillislee.

I don't totally disagree with your premise, but if the opportunity to land a true superstar like myles garret, who could very well have a 10 year NFL career were to present itself through a trade opportunity, that wouldn't offend me. Or if a QB who the team thinks has more potential than Taylor is there, I wouldn't be offended with that pick either. Like it or not with a new HC and a roster that doesn't appear to be better than last years (maybe Ragland and Shaq will alter that), I am not sure the team should be focused on 2017 roster holes.

This draft will be a great litmus test for Sean McDermott. If he just looks to fill roster holes for 2017 I think it's safe to assume that the Bills are once again in over their head. Hard to win when your drafting is based on short term needs and has no greater vision.

This draft will be a great litmus test for Sean McDermott. If he just looks to fill roster holes for 2017 I think it's safe to assume that the Bills are once again in over their head. Hard to win when your drafting is based on short term needs and has no greater vision.

I dont mean this as a criticism necessarily, but I do not think you will be happy with the draft unless we draft Mahomes. I think it is obvious you want us to take our QB at 10 (I don't disagree here either, really).

My point is, there are other picks that can happen that you would classify as "filling roster holes" (Davis, Reddick, Lattimore, etc.) that would fill roster holes but also bring in potential impact starters. I would not say, if any of those guys were the pick, that we are just "filling holes" and that signifies that we are in over our head with McD. I would say our staff was not sold on any of the draft QBs as being the guy, so they are wisely using their picks on players who can have an impact on this year and beyond.

I too love Mahomes. I too hope like hell he is the pick at 10 (if he is there). I also realize its silly to think any pick besides him shows short sightedness and we are just filling holes. I hope you come to that realization as well.

Yup. Get BPA. OJ Howard would be a great pick, even though we have Clay.