Troy Brown not tendered an offer

If you don't think that cutting a guy ("no contract tendered") like Troy Brown who was one of the only players in the NFL to go both ways this year and thereby lose an opportunity at an incentive clause won't have a ripple effect in that locker room than you are deluded.

Guys get cut all the time, especially older players with high cap costs whose production has fallen dramatically. Your ignorance of the situation has led you to make far too much of it.

This kind of stuff does affect a team. How else do you explain the 31-0 win the Bills achieved over a superior Pats team in 2003?

First off, that affected the team for a week. Second, the Milloy release was far more shocking than this and you know it (at least I hope you do). Many Pats fans have been anticipating Brown's release for over a year now. As sad as we are to see him go, this was certainly no surprise to the vast majority of us.

Hey I hear Roman Phifer got f'd too, huh?

If by "f'd" you mean "released," then yes. Phifer was released. I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that his production had fallen off, that he lost his job to Ted Johnson, and that he is just a few days away from his 37th birthday.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think Troy saved the Pats collective butts by playing so well in that secondary!

He may not be worthy of a big price tag but he hasn't gotten the love from that time this year like a superstar would.

First you can not tender a player under contract. so Brown could not be tendered.

Second this is the new NFL. the pats tried to restructure Brown's contarct but could get it done.

By releasing him now he has a chance to get a decent offer then waiting to release him in June 1

You just can not keep high cap players in todays era as they get to the end of the careers. look at all the players released today by other teams.

Guys get cut all the time, especially older players with high cap costs whose production has fallen dramatically.  Your ignorance of the situation has led you to make far too much of it.

257894[/snapback]

You're rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic my friend. Losing Crennel, Weis,

and 3 player-coaches like Phifer, Law and Brown is going to be immense. Belichick is outsmarting himself this time.

And Bethel Johnson is gone too. He actually spoke in less than glowing terms to the media about his coach during the season. That's sure death. It'll come in the most damaging way possible, 2 or 3 days before the season starts, for maximum pain.

You excited about Ted Johnson beating out Phifer? Talk about losing a step, TJ's got a bicep pull coming up I would guess.

You're rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic my friend.  Losing Crennel, Weis,

and 3 player-coaches like Phifer, Law and Brown is going to be immense.  Belichick is outsmarting himself this time.

Brown and Phifer were BACKUPS last year and law was on the shelf for well over half the season. The team will be fine without them. Mangini has Belichick's trust and Weis was vastly overrated. Again, your ignorance of the Pats is causing you to make very foolish-sounding claims.

And Bethel Johnson is gone too.  He actually spoke in less than glowing terms to the media about his coach during the season.  That's sure death.  It'll come in the most damaging way possible, 2 or 3 days before the season starts, for maximum pain.

Oh, I get it. You're just bitter. Now that I know you're a MadBuffaloDisease-esque troll, I feel rather foolish for treating you as a civilized debating partner.

You excited about Ted Johnson beating out Phifer? Talk about losing a step, TJ's got a bicep pull coming up I would guess.

When did I say I was "excited" about Johnson taking Phifer's job? I used that as an example to show how far Phifer had fallen.

Here's some advice: Get a !@#$ing clue before you start spouting off on topics about which you know nothing.

Brown and Phifer were BACKUPS last year and law was on the shelf for well over half the season.  The team will be fine without them.  Mangini has Belichick's trust and Weis was vastly overrated.  Again, your ignorance of the Pats is causing you to make very foolish-sounding claims.

Oh, I get it.  You're just bitter.  Now that I know you're a MadBuffaloDisease-esque troll, I feel rather foolish for treating you as a civilized debating partner.

When did I say I was "excited" about Johnson taking Phifer's job?  I used that as an example to show how far Phifer had fallen.

Here's some advice:  Get a !@#$ing clue before you start spouting off on topics about which you know nothing.

257931[/snapback]

Lots of quotes, but no responses. Lots of name calling. That's what folks do when they got no game.

Keep your advice to yourself. You bring your smug sh-t to a Bills board pontificating about football, but the truth is your knowledge pales to your bragadaccio.

Lots of quotes, but no responses.  Lots of name calling.  That's what folks do when they got no game.

Keep your advice to yourself.  You bring your smug sh-t to a Bills board pontificating about football, but the truth is your knowledge pales to your bragadaccio.

All I ask is that you acquire some knowledge about a topic before you attempt to discuss it. Nothing more.

All I ask is that you acquire some knowledge about a topic before you attempt to discuss it.  Nothing more.

257953[/snapback]

Actually, I believe he did. His points are obvious, and overlooking them is a huge mistake. Coaches are jumping ship in NE, players are getting tossed, it doesn't seem like things are going to be looking too good for the Pats next year. The secondary is becoming a bit pourous, the coaching that got them there is walking out the door. Granted they have a good amount of room under the cap, but you don't throw the everyone off the boat then ask the rats to row.

Tuna was a great coach when he had a great staff too, you know. So was Jimmy Johnson. Drop the staff and keep some talent and these guys struggled. In this case NE is dropping staff and talent. Sounds like a recipie for disaster in Patsy land.

The Steelers fans came aboard BB.com several weeks ago screaming championship and displaying a similar arrogance as yourself. I called it dead on then, stating NE would simply drum them at home in the AFC Championship game... and I was right. The mighty fell then, and the mighty Patsies will as well. Mark my words, 9-7 maybe 10-6 and no show for you guys next year. Like all dynasties NE will fall, and fall quickly.

I read a few of the posts, and why a Pats troll is here, throwing rocks at this late hour instead of keeping tabs on his own site escapes me.

258030[/snapback]

I don't know, but what disturbed me even more was that the Pats troll was making a lot more sense than some of the Bills posters.

Can you imagine if the Bills resigned a guy who had 17 catches on the season for over 5MM? TSW would explode.

I don't know, but what disturbed me even more was that the Pats troll was making a lot more sense than some of the Bills posters.

Can you imagine if the Bills resigned a guy who had 17 catches on the season for over 5MM?  TSW would explode.

258032[/snapback]

I see your point.

law got paid most of his HUGE contract (who ever pays one player that much money that he was suppose to get this year is retarded,especially since they won without him and he had a bad injury)

brown has been paid QUITE well over the years for average play(getting paid #1 receiver type $).

milloy got paid huge bucks until he started half-assing it on the field his last year and a half as a pat and because of it,was asked to take a cut(still would have made a lot of cash even after the cut).

phifer=old and mediocre play.

woody was asking for 2 much money--detroit FOOLISHLY paid this clown what he wanted,then this pig comes in 40 pounds out of shape and was never the same(way to go woody).pats knew enough not to pay him ridiculous $$ for the position he played(remember he go moved from the center spot because there was somethings he couldnt do).and his replacement hotchstein(sp) did a fabulous job of not given up a single sack vs tenn,indy,and carolina in the playoffs(woody was injured).

the coaches did not jump ship cause they couldnt stand the place,they left cause they FINALLY got well earned head coaching jobs.mangini is taking over the defense and the players love this guy and always talk highly of him.

wiggens(wiggins?) finally had a good game vs oak in the snow game,but you dont give out contracts based on one game. but he is a decent player.

bledsoe got dealt because there ended up being a better player at the same position,simple as that. why would they keep him around for?

a lot of these things mentioned above happen to a lot of teams

there is no locker room termoil what so ever,the players love it in pats land and there coaches.